A response to Dalai.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A response to Dalai.

How do you keep the creative process going?

Make the maps first, and build the story around THEM. Just make sure a few key characters remain the same. Like taking all the TUT maps...and making a coherant story out of them. I could do that if I wanted to.

Speaking of which, if you want a writer...
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

Shouldn't that be "A Question to dalai" ?
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

That should make more sense
      Abraham Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Comment

I took care of it, :wink:

Comment

Not really, he's quoting my question and then giving his answer.

Hmm, that way of story/map design was how they did Thief 2. It's probably how they did Deus Ex too, judging by the random map locations.

Comment

Fine, then I'll ask Dalai a question:

Will the story mode be based on scripted events, like Deus Ex, or be more open ended, like Thief?
            It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

LoL! I looked at my topic and was like...man, I must have messed that title up cause I was so tired. That doesn't even make sense!

Then I find out I DID do it right! Don't screw with ma posts! :grin:

Anyway, Dalai, thats what I'd do. At least....thats the simplest way to do it.

Also: Maybe tell one mapper to stick to a certain style. Lets say one mapper wants to make a gothic type level. Have him make one or 2, but keep em gothic type, and that way the character can stick to a "single area" for a little bit in the storyline.
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Oh yeah, since my title was CHANGED on me, I might as well ask a question now.

You say you have 400 megs of uncompressed data. Now, I don't know much about compression, but that would still be in the 300 meg range, right? Thats a lotta megs. I'm on cable myself, and that'll take about 1 and a half hours. Not that thats bad, thats just a heck of a lot of info.

So will it actually be this huge?

P.S. I guess as long as they don't start editing my posts for me its ok...
                www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D

Will the story mode be based on scripted events, like Deus Ex, or be more open ended, like Thief?
                  Good question, also, will it be difficult! I SAY! will. it. be. hard!?
                  -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
                  - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
                  - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
                  -YT

Comment

Originally posted by Garlisk
                    You say you have 400 megs of uncompressed data. So will it actually be this huge?
                    Heh, just downloaded some software updates from HP at work at 4.2 megabytes per second. 40MB took about 10 seconds. Damn I love our multiple-T3
                    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

do you mean to say that Deus Ex is more linear than Thief?

who are you?
                      "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

I am a Pagan God. :grin:
                        And yes, I think Deus Ex is more linear than Thief. I agree that it wasn't a good example but in Deus Ex, the game is centered around scripted events, and in Thief there are only a few (one that I can think of off-hand,) that are actually central to the story.

Comment

I am a Pagan God. :grin:
                          And yes, I think Deus Ex is more linear than Thief. I agree that it wasn't a good example but in Deus Ex, the game is centered around scripted events, and in Thief there are only a few (one that I can think of off-hand,) that are actually central to the story.
                          And that obviously boils down to having less story told in Thief alltogether.
                          AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
                          Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
                          Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Thief had amazing cut-scenes...

Comment

Yeah, thief's story was top notch.
                              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X