If there is no dynamic lighting...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If there is no dynamic lighting...?

We know there are no water arrows, and we can't put out lights.

Does this also mean we can't create light?
    How will we look for thieves?

If that is the case, and they don't exist, maybe someone could answer that last question...or make suggestions for it.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

What about flares and such for the guards, how will that work if there is no dynamic lighting?
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Thats kind of what I meant FT. I don't think this has been asked, but it just seemed logical that if you can't get rid of light, you can't create it either.
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger
        What about flares and such for the guards, how will that work if there is no dynamic lighting?
        I'm not sure how, but torches do work (as you can see in the NB trailer).

Comment

He's right. The firebolts and torches DO create a visible lightsource.

Let me get this straight, you can MAKE light, but you can't remove it?

That doesn't make sense. I'm really confused now. It would seem to me that its either one or the other.

EDIT: Ok, my guess here is that it works like this. A placed lightsource during map creation can't be altered, but one created during the game can be?
          If that is how it works, I have a suggestion...but I don't wanna bother explaining it unless that IS how it works.
          www.usyetzer.com

Comment

You can make dynamic light, BUT!
            They wont cast shadows, and they will shine trough surfaces!
            Kinda like the light from flares and whistlers in TUT also shines trough the surfaces around it.

This means we can use create flares, but using lights with switches to light up rooms would not work, since there would be no shadows and the light would go right trough the walls, lightning up the next room.

Comment

Ok, my idea was, in short, to have a trigger create lightsources after the map started (so they could then be altered) but that wouldn't fix that problem.

Thanks for the explanation.
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

if you want to understand a bit more...do this...

open unrealed,

substract two independent cube

add a static mesh in one of the two cube

rebuild everything

add a light in the cube with no static mesh

And you got what we don't want

if you rebuild again the light on the second box dissapear,but as far as i know you can't do rebuild ingame

Comment

WTF? You want to tell us that the way (dynamic) lighting works in UT2003/'04
                  has changed to be worse than it does in UT?

Anyway, that'd be yet another reason to stick with (T)UT!
                  AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
                  Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
                  Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf
                    Anyway, that'd be yet another reason to stick with (T)UT!
                    No.

Originally posted by Beowulf
                    WTF? You want to tell us that the way (dynamic) lighting works in UT2003/'04 has changed to be worse than it does in UT?
                    Yes...

In a way. Lightmaps for meshpolys are probably a wee bit beyond the capabilities of current hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
                      In a way. Lightmaps for meshpolys are probably a wee bit beyond the capabilities of current hardware.
                      UT2003 was never meant to have fancy dynamic lightning.
                      It is certainly possible, just look at dx2.

Comment

I'm really suprised at that. I thought they were designing an engine that is meant to power many more games in the future.
                        <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                          It is certainly possible, just look at dx2.
                          Really? (I have "problems" looking at pretty much anything recent on my PC) Then I think not using it for 2K3 was outstandingly dumb.

Comment

And DX2 runs at 15fps with tiny levels that look far worse than your average UT2003 map...

Comment

Originally posted by Dalai
                              And DX2 runs at 15fps with tiny levels that look far worse than your average UT2003 map...
                              It was only optimised enough to be able to run on the Xbox...
                              At least they had the courage to push the standards for recommended system specs... Less we would be stuck with the MX cards forever.

And i somehow doubt a game like Doom 3 will have a better fps then what you have in DX2...

Comment

Working...
                              X