Mapping with UED3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping with UED3...

1) Will Night-Blade come with a whole lovely bunch of texture packs that fit the world that we can use? (I assume it will... the textures that come with UT2003 are less than appropriate)

2) Static meshes are basically used exactly how additive brushes were, right?

3) Do any problems arise from having static meshes overlap with other static meshes or additive brushes? Should this be avoided? Should I convert to brushes, deintersect, then convert back to SM?

4) How do i make the texture on a fluidsurface actor visible on both sides?

5) How do i make the texture on a fluidsurface actor appear translucent?

6) What program should I learn to use if i wanted to make my own fancy static meshes? Is this program free?

7) I have a large subtracted cube, filled with grassy hills (terrain).

I want to create a well in the ground, that opens up into a large cavern below the subtracted cube. How should I do this?

The way I have done it, is i have added a large block with the hole burrowed down the middle (as a static mesh) the sits on the bottom of the cube, and slightly overlaps above the terrain level. Then I cut a little circle out of the terrain to form the opening. Is this how it should be done? Any tips when using brushes/SM's that intersect with terrain?

(the same problem could be applied to a door in a hill-side)

Originally posted by Yenzarill
    1) Will Night-Blade come with a whole lovely bunch of texture packs that fit the world that we can use? (I assume it will... the textures that come with UT2003 are less than appropriate)
    Yes

2) Static meshes are basically used exactly how additive brushes were, right?
    Yes
    3) Do any problems arise from having static meshes overlap with other static meshes or additive brushes? Should this be avoided? Should I convert to brushes, deintersect, then convert back to SM?
    No, and unless it's a highly complex brush you shouldn't have to convert it.

4) How do i make the texture on a fluidsurface actor visible on both sides?
    Check display settings for it? Set to 2 sided?

5) How do i make the texture on a fluidsurface actor appear translucent?
    Add an alpha channel to texture.

6) What program should I learn to use if i wanted to make my own fancy static meshes? Is this program free?
    3dsmax, not free.

7) I have a large subtracted cube, filled with grassy hills (terrain).

I want to create a well in the ground, that opens up into a large cavern below the subtracted cube. How should I do this?
    Yes, cut out part of the terrain using the visbilty tool.
    Make sure that all parts of it are covered, so you can't see into "the void".[/quote]

Comment

Thank you Master-Builder!

Originally posted by Master-Builder
      Add an alpha channel to texture.
      Explanation? Link? Tutorial? Vague hint?

Originally posted by Master-Builder
      Yes, cut out part of the terrain using the visbilty tool.
      Make sure that all parts of it are covered, so you can't see into "the void".
      Tell you what, here is a link to my map (copy + paste to a new window)

http://au.geocities.com/yenzarill_nydryxx/mappy.zip

If you'd like (please!) take a look at it... have a close look at the well in the corner of the main cube and tell me if it's borked or if you'd do it the same way. (i'm just worried about how the additive brushes are overlapping with the terrain thing)

Also, should I convert the "well-brush" to a static mesh? Is that ok? Just whack it in myLevel?

(I really wouldn't recommend downloading that map if you want to see a stunning piece of architecture btw, it's just my sandbox that i'm learning UED 3 with)

Comment

Alpha textures: http://www.leveldesigner.com/index.p...ion=doc&ID=171
        Fluidsurface creation: http://www.leveldesigner.com/index.p...ion=doc&ID=168

For the terrain around the well, you almost got it right. A small part of the invinsible terrain was not covered by the well.
        Best way to do this, is to rightclick in the top left corner of the "Top" view, where it says "Top".
        In the popup menu you select "View --> View Terrain". This will set terrain to be displayed in the top view of the map, and you can now easily add and delete terrain till it fits.

Comment

sweet.

Thanks again MB.

Comment

Originally posted by Yenzarill
            One problem that can arise from this is strange lighting. Because static meshes are lit by vertex rather than given lightmaps, if any vertices are hidden then certain polys will become darker.

Comment

Video tutorials for UnrealED3. Awesome stuff. I learned tons from them.

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/uunr_vtmlist.php?c=13

I hope you're on broadband, though. Otherwise, it'll take quite some time collecting them.

You'll have to sign up, but it's free.
              I stood among them, but not of them, in a shroud of thoughts which were not their thoughts.
              ~ Lord Byron

Comment

I really wish those VTM downloads supported resume of any type. Well, I used to anyway. Hurray for broadband!
                Immortius' Forge

Comment

I've been mapping for ages now.... just needed a brush up 8)

Warp zones seem to be borked in 2003... at least they certainly don't seem as cool

Comment

Working...
                  X