Guards ranged weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guards ranged weapons

Seeing as the thieves got the crossbows this time, I figured guards should also get a different ranged weapon, and after a while, I thought about an old suggestion of mine. The rifle.

I know many people here don't like the idea of rifles, claiming they don't fit into the atmosphere, but then I have to say that you are wrong. If you take a look at really old concepts of rifles, you should notice that in fact they would fit into the steampunk atmosphere quite well! Old rifles were actually nothing more than chambers with a barrel attached to them. The chamber was then filled with black powder, and a bullet was placed in the barrel. The powder was then ignited by sticking a smoldering piece of wood, or a heated metal pin into a hole in the top, firing the bullet out of the barrel. Actually, they more resembled a carryable version of the cannons you often see in pirate movies than a modern day rifle.

Here's a little concept art I made for a rifle with a dragonlike theme. Fear my mspaint skills!

The way it would be fired, is that at the moment a guard would press fire, the powder would be ignited, producing a hissing flame from the top. However, it would take slightly less than a second before it would explode and launch the bullet. So the guard would have to lead it's target in that time. The bullet would travel about the same way a fired bolt behaves in thievery. Maybe with less arcing.

A guard would start out with normal bullets, but he would be able to buy more types of ammo. Like explosive bullets, bullets that would explode on contact, producing a lightflash. Pellets, a small case of tiny bullets, that fire in a shotgun like spread. A powder pouch, which isn't really a bullet but rather produces a large yet of flame that sets things on fire and behaves like a flare. Other ammo could be poisoned bullets, that slowly drain the life from a thief and slows them down (para bolt). Maybe magic gems that glow and produce light when they are shot (tag bolt).

Let me know what you think.

Erh..... i would pick a crossbow over a sloooow firing rifle with long reload time any day.
    Dude, the thief would be long gone by the time you actually get a shot off.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterBuilder
      the thief would be long gone by the time you actually get a shot off.
      That sounds filthy. Anyway.. I think I would choose a crossbow, simply because I know what it is... and I know how to use it.. Good suggestion though, I wouldnt mind it in there.
      -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
      - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
      - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
      -YT

Comment

Early guns were rather inaffective, they were slow to load, slow to fire and didn't do too much damage.. Longbows were much more powerful: Faster to fire, they could shoot (I'm estimating) say, 300 yards or somthing, at least.
        Crossbows were banned by the church for some period of time because they took all the 'honour' out of war. You see, pretty much anyone could use a crossbow (you had to train for years to be able to shoot a longbow very well), and they were pretty powerful things: A crossbow bolt could easily go right through someones armour.

So, I'm pretty much saying; lets stick with the bow for thieves and the crossbow for guards. I mean, how long would that 'thing' of yours take to load? A thief could just walk up to you while your struggling to load it, or waiting for it to shoot them and hack you apart. Nightblade looks to fast-paced for somthing that takes long to reload and fire.

I'm not trying to pull down your idea, I admit it would look pretty cool, it just doesn't really fit.

Also, what's it made of? 'cause if it's made of metal which it most likely is, it's gonna be rather heavy. What it would be cool for is being a stationary gun that's hooked up to a watcher, kinda like a turret. Have it that a guard would have to reload it after each shot though, so a thief could shoot a decoy arrow and it would waste it's shot on that...
        And thieves could buy a sabotage kit, that they can sabotage guns, whistlers, watchers and anything else that they want to.
        That would allow for sabotage objectives possibely, which could be cool.
        Guards could repair guns, whistlers, watchers etc with the repair tool which would give it much more use and make it almost a must-have.
        You could even make the guns a purchasable item like a whistler, but have them reasonably expensive so that guards won't have like 20 guns sitting on stacked crates that surround an objective.
        Another nifty thing would being able to access the buy menu ingame and give guards a little bit of cash for every thief that they kill. This might unbalance the game though so don't listen to me, I'm just rambling on about useless things.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the matter.... (Do you think I wrote enough??)
        There is no life, there is only WoW

Comment

Crossbow, so lame..... how do I counter it?
          ~TuF~

Comment

You know, it doesn't matter if you shoot someone with an AWP or take out their hand with a bolt; they're still just as dead either way.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
              Crossbow, so lame..... how do I counter it?
              with a warheadluncher ^.^
              "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Hey this weapon look like a japan invention it doesent fit to the atmosphere because (i only think) that the thievery and nightblade story plays in Europe and not in japan or china
                My english isnt the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Nanaki
                  Hey this weapon look like a japan invention it doesent fit to the atmosphere because (i only think) that the thievery and nightblade story plays in Europe and not in japan or china
                  It looks like the dragon cannon from Undying....

Comment

It's not like the Japanese invented dragons. Theres alot of medieval stories/legends involving dragons that have nothing to do with Japan or any other Asian country for that matter.

And it's true that in a game it doesn't matter whether you have a crossbow or a cannon or whatever kind of weapon that shoots things. I just thought it would fit the guard theme to give them a badass hightech (for a steampunk setting ) kind of cannon.

And technically, guards wouldn't be able to really move anyway, with all that heavy armor and two or three weapons on their back.

Comment

I mean that that weapon looks like japan or china

BECUASE THE DRAGON
                      for example The film tiger&DRAGON comes from japan/china

Dragons are more settled in the Japanese/chinese Mythology as in the germanish/frankish mythology

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                        And technically, guards wouldn't be able to really move anyway, with all that heavy armor and two or three weapons on their back.
                        Actually, you can move quite well in armor, from what I have seen and heard anyway. It depends on the design more then anything. Soldiers today, though not armored, carry quite a bit of supplies at times (comparable in weight) and still move quite easily.

As for the gun, I agree that it can be made to fit in, although if it was not functionally different in some way, see no point in it.

Would not want to give this to the AI, but for human players, might be nice as a one shot, disposable weapon (ie for two shots you need to get two, you cannot reload). I would see it as relatively loud, and produces a larger radius of damage. Overall damage might be reduced if balance issues require. If you want to get really fancy, have the damage area increase in radius as it moves away from the gun. To get fancier still, let damage inflicted be related to how much of the damge radius a players collision circle encounters. I am sure all that would be cake to code for the programmers around here!
                        Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                        Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

I've a feeling that might be built into the engine, you just specify the spread of the bullets.
                          One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                          -
                          The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

I mean that that weapon looks like japan or china

BECUASE THE DRAGON
                            for example The film tiger&DRAGON comes from japan/china

Dragons are more settled in the Japanese/chinese Mythology as in the germanish/frankish mythology

What about the Norman Dragon? The one from, say, movies like Dragon Heart...
                            And d&d dragons...I'm pretty sure a lot of those arn't from Japan/China.

Although I do get what you're saying.
                            Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
                            www.usyetzer.com

Comment

thats right but blackpolver to fire a gun was invented in china/japan, too
                              it must have another style as a dragon

Comment

Working...
                              X