No announcement yet.

What about random Weather for each map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about random Weather for each map?

I was just thinking, what if the maps had random weather generators, or at least random weather layouts. For example, we all know folly has snow outside, and flats is a cool dry night. but what if every so often it was a rainy night on flats and the pipes and rooftops were just a little more slippery, or if grange was slightly foggy or cold and snowy where we could see our breath, or maybe theatre slightly wet, with soggy sounding footsteps in the grass. with water trail foot prints left where thieves were entering. I know this is in the nightblade suggestion, but i was using thievery maps as examples. Could this be possible?

different weathers, thats an nice idea. But it shouldnt effect ingame (like more slippery when snow).. but it would be cool if you play on a map, and all of a sudden it starts to rain on the map (but not all the time) just sometimes it starts to rain or snow or something...damn cool 8)
    .: Infiltrator - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

www.youtube.com/user/Richard413

Comment

Originally posted by LoUie
      different weathers, thats an nice idea. But it shouldnt effect ingame (like more slippery when snow).. but it would be cool if you play on a map, and all of a sudden it starts to rain on the map (but not all the time) just sometimes it starts to rain or snow or something...damn cool 8)
      well i got the idea from playing Madden NFL 2004, you can play football in the dry grass, or it might rain or snow that day and you end up playing the same game in the snow and rain and it makes things a little more slippery and adds different challenges to overcome sometimes.

Comment

oh that is a damn good idea. But wouldn't it slow the frames down?
        OK its snowing and after 5 minutes everything is white or what do you mean? I'm not sure if that is possible.
        I guess its only possible when the map is with snow at the beginning of the map!

Anyway, I like that idea very much!
        "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Normally wheather doesn't change drastically in a periode of 30 minutes or so......

Having to change slipperyness/textures would be damn hard/impossible to...
          No where worth the effort.

Comment

It might be possible with player and zone properties rather than by texture. Nonetheless, it's fluff that would take a lot of development and testing for very little return in terms of gameplay. It wouldn't really make a game good.

Comment

nah, i wasnt really talking about changing weather, i mean when the map first starts, that defines the weather it will be for the entire map. kind of like 3 different maps of the same level, but with different terrain and physics levels, not changing as it goes. not sure if you can randomly spawn snow everywhere without making a whole new map with static snow mesh already there. but it was just an idea.

Comment

Good idea Hannu, weather always makes a map so much more interesting.
                But weather doesn't add too much to the core qualities of a game.
                What would you rather have? NB out sooner with no weather and more focused thiefing/gaurding/whatever stuff...
                or
                NB out later with cool weather effects and not much else in the way of gameplay?
                I think many people would prefer the first one, weather could be added later on if the devs feel like it...
                mappers can always add 'ambience' to their maps, e.g weather, sounds etc
                There is no life, there is only WoW

Comment

Originally posted by Ze Red Baron
                  What would you rather have? NB out sooner with no weather and more focused thiefing/gaurding/whatever stuff...
                  or
                  NB out later with cool weather effects and not much else in the way of gameplay?
                  NB alpha/beta out now, then while we play, devs add the weather code plus i think its in the mapping itself where this type of random weather would occur, not the code. (best guess)

After rethinking it, it would also probably just be easier, for both NB and Thievery maps, for the mappers, or some volunteer mappers, to just take the originals, change grass textures to a snow texture, add foggy breath, and maybe some slippery rooves, and re-release it with only weather changes and a new name. Then we could vote if we want to play th-nostalgia-winter, th-nostalgia-summer, or th-nostalgia-rain, etc. almost like tripling our current maps, but with these subtle changes, it can make those maps that are played often have a slight twist, these twists could add new challenges perhaps.

Comment

Weather could give away a thief's presence.

Think about the lightning in TH-Asylum.
                    Then there's rain, which would make people leave wet footsteps, and it would wash away blood.
                    Snow would make thieves' breath visible outside (cold)...

etc.

It would surely add a whole degree of tactics.

How about just making XX amount of a map, and only change the weather on it. Then let the server pick out a random map. So you never know what weather it would be when you're about to play a map. In this case, you're not only tied to random weather, but you could also change other aspects, like time of day (midnight/daytime) or even add a whole different set of objectives.

The only downside would be that you'd need alot of maps, which take up alot of space.

Comment

What you can do is have a proxy map - i.e. GW-TestMap - which will immediately switch to another, randomly selected map - GW-TestMapSnow, GW-TestMapStorm, etc.

But I'm not sure if there is much point in doing so unless the weather does have a significant amount of impact. Changing the weather on outbreak would be silly, for instance, because 95% of the action takes place inside.
                      Immortius' Forge

Comment

i think the weather will be only about how the map will be mapped... so if there's a willing mapper with a map where the weather may be used... why not? :grin:
                        See you in beers

Comment

A question i'd like to know is if UT2003 supports rain and snow weather effects right off the bat, or does it have to be created somehow.
                          <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Originally posted by Firetiger
                            A question i'd like to know is if UT2003 supports rain and snow weather effects right off the bat, or does it have to be created somehow.
                            It does.

And they work as particle emitters, and can be customized alot, so they fit whatever you want the level to have as wheather....

Hmm... "It's raining crates!"

Comment

Be cool to have different weather versions of maps.

Could also have them be slightly different like suggested. Like the clear weather version would have more open windows than the Rain version or something like that. It could be a vary interesting thing to add and it might not take toooo much time to do

imho weather would add a great immersive effect to the game. Could test it out in say the next ThieveryUT update and try somthing simple like say a foggy/rain version of some map or maps *shrug*

Man it would be so cool if there was a foggy/rainy version of skeletonhead in Thievery
                              ZT

Comment

Working...
                              X