Few Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few Suggestions

1: Is a telescope (they didn't have hi-res multi zoom binoculars in med times, so telescope will do) being implemented into the game? So gaurds could see the area better from the higher tower, and use a scoped bow or something to pick off careless thieves. And thieves could have a scoped bow , and pick off a lone gaurd.

2: Are different character classes being used e.g swordsman :swordthi: who has melee bonus or archer who has ranged bonus or ninja who can scale walls and move quicker, and generally be more stealthy. It would work well in a team online game. Imagine a fort needed to be invaded, the sword thief slitting the door gaurd's throat from behind, while the archer takes out the tower gaurd. Then the ninja scales the wall with his ninja skillz and opens the door. They all rush in, only to meet a few gaurd knights who have heavy armor to augment their defense, and a huge sword. The knights mow down the sword and archer, but the ninja makes his escape, and scales the tower, picks up the dead gaurd's bow and kill's the helpless knights with a few well-placed head-shots. Sounds pretty cool.

3: How will the stealth work? Will it be when you enter a shadow your invisible? Or will it be more Splinter Cell style?
    "I call anything I dont understand "technical issues". My girlfriend loves it when I call her that"

Telescopes are in, and you can snipe with it. It's really, REALLY cool. Just wait till you see it. It really rules ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE.

There are no classes, but there is some form of character customization. It's much better than having predefined classes.

What do you mean by "splinter cell type"? Isn't being invisible in the shadow just like the "splinter cell type"?

But, anyways, yes. Just like in thievery, you become invisible in the shadows, and you must be as silent as possible.
    JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
      What do you mean by "splinter cell type"? Isn't being invisible in the shadow just like the "splinter cell type"?
      In Splinter Cell, spies are the same black color as the shadows... so they just kinda blend into the shadows. They don't become invinsible.

Comment

It's the effect that matters though, you are meant to be invisible when in shadows unless someone has night vision goggles and I doubt theres that kind of thing in Nightblade. So the best way is to make them turn invisible when in shadows to avoid any kind of brightness tweaking to allow ppl to "cheat" and see players that should be hidden. You can VERY easily cheat in splinter cell 2 multiplayer, or atleast in the demo. All you do is adjust the brightness in a cfg file and you never have a need for other vision modes since everything can be done bright as daytime. I don't even like the game really and I only adjusted it cos my monitor is too dark (I couldn't see the square the game told me to look for at all in the brightness tuning screen even with my monitor's gamma and brightness maxed) but I'm just saying this to explain why -imo- turning invisible is better.
        The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

Comment

As far as i know, it shouldn't be possible to do gamma cheating in Splinter Cell, since the spies would always be as black as the shadows.
          That still means that unless the guards see your shape against a completly dark wall they can still see you... And that is very often the case.
          Compared to thief and Thievery, it's more reallistic since you can just find a dark spot in the middle of a hallway or room, and be completly hidden... you have to be in a dark area.
          So most often you best bet in Splinter Cell is to use your acrobatic skillz and simply stay out of mercenaries line of sight.

Nightblade will be using shadow blending like in Thievery, but it will be more effectiv be using darker shadows (E.g. no ambient lightning), allowing thieves to be slightly visible in the shadows, but yet remain invinsible. (Unlike thievery were you could be certain that you were spotted should your stealth o meter go above 7-10%

Comment

Well, try it in splinter cell 2 multiplayer and tell me, I don't have the demo anymore and I won't bother downloading it either. But try it yourself, I think you change "brightness" in the default.cfg in the system folder of the game to a higher number. Change all instances it is in (just note the original numbers so u can change it back after you are done), not sure which one is the right one but changing them all didn't ruin anything so do that yourself. And I'm pretty sure that after that you will be able to see the spies very easy though I hadn't tried it online. But everything was as bright as if it was daytime so I find it hard to believe I wouldnt see someone walking around even if up against a wall. Everything was so visible I saw all the texture details n stuff... Test it and see for yourself, cos if it works for SC, it will likely work for nightblade as well so perhaps you will decide and make thieves turn invisible.

Perhaps a brightness lock thing that changes brightness to a set number everytime nightblade starts up would work however it would bea nightmare for people like me with darker than the average monitors and propably render it unplayable just like the sc demo was for me without brightness changing...
            So I still think invisibility is better for gameplay reasons, I can make the game bright enough for my monitor but other people won't be able to cheat using the same thing.
            The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

Comment

As i said... Thieves become invinsible in Nightblade.

Comment

The system with thievery I think apart from a couple of aspects is perfect, you've got to use your imagination a little and understand the psuedo stealth involved it allows for some very tense scenarios, and allows for many many more hiding spots than in splinter cell.

With Nightblade it's a cross between the two, because you do have a very very faint silloette, which from experimentation doesn't seem to be clearer at higher gamma settings, but does become more obvious if a theif is scrabbling about or has a very bright light behind them. It's a good system.

The one thing that splinter cell sucks at is sound, I could play with the sound muted and play just as well, theres no footsteps or russling bushes in multiplayer which can be used to track ppl, I think thievery does that very well... often, too well.

Basiclly, don't worry about the threat of brightness cheaters, as far as I know the only worthwhile cheat we must be aware off are aimbots, or some other method of position revealing, both can be "detected" through one way or another, and with many TUT players and admins moving over to Nightblade hopefully the justice will remain as effecient and swift as it always has been in theivery.
                ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                  As i said... Thieves become invinsible in Nightblade.
                  Sorry I haven't slept, I read it wrong, I read "shadow blending like in splinter cell" and since I do not know these terms it didn't sound wrong to me so I gave that reply...sorry again...

That sounds excellent TheMachine, excuse my ignorance about how things work, I'm new here so I haven't seen much about the game other than what the site says. Is there any specific thread/place that I could find more info?

Comment

Only the devs have seen more than you in that case. If you've read these boards and checked out the official site that's, well, it.
                    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                    -
                    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

The scoped bows sound cool. The invisibility mechanic sounds simple, but I guess it will work good. Is there any way at all for gaurds to see in dark? If there isn't here's another suggestion: torches. They burn out after awhile, and are very rare (think of the rarity of the redeemer in UT) but they lighten up the area around the gaurd. And fire arrows which light up a small area around them, so you fire them into a thief, and he is lit up until it fizzles out.
                      "I call anything I dont understand "technical issues". My girlfriend loves it when I call her that"

Comment

Now we're on the subject of lighting, Splinter cell has this interesting feature where as a mercenary, if you stand still for a few seconds, everything slowly becomes brighter, as if your eyes are adjusting to the darkness. When you begin moving again, things darken once more. I thought this might be cool to toy with in nightblade.
                        <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

I wasn't aware of that in SC2. And how would it work? Would the shadows become less and less until the spy can't be invisible in that location anymore? That would make things difficult as the spy, and I'm not sure how long a guy can wait in one position before he get's bored. I'm guessing it would be quite hard to implement into the game also. BTW what do you think of my torch idea?

Comment

Dynamic light is fuxored in UT2k3/4. There are probably flares available like in Thievery, except that the light will shine through walls as well as through open space.
                            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

even flares will be better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X