Arena/Duel mode tweak suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arena/Duel mode tweak suggestion

Instead of having every map be just an arena with 2 or 4 ppl fighting it out while the rest are waiting as spectators, I was thinking you could do this instead:
    Make each map an actual "place" with multiple arenas inside it. There will be fights going on in each arena as they would be going on normally and spectators would be actual models walking around the maps, watching whichever arena they prefer until their turn comes (where u get a simple respawn effect rather than have to walk in the arena yourself). The spectators wouldn't be able to go in the arenas and the people fighting wouldn't be able to go out of them. It's just a tweak to have less waiting for the spectators since multiple fights are going on at the same time and also give it a more realistic look. If the performance hit is big with all the spectator models around then there could be an option to have them disabled since they don't affect gameplay anyway.

If that idea sounds too much for what it offers then perhaps you can go for this:
    The maps are single arenas as planned. Multiple fights can be on in the SAME arena but each couple or quadraple fighting can only see themselves their enemies and their potential allies (if it's couples fighting and not 1 on 1). So to them it looks like they are the only ones fighting and the rest couples even tho in the SAME arena are neither drawn in their screens nor able to be touched or interacted with in any way. It's as good as if they don't exist to them. I hope you know what I mean, this again reduces time for the spectators (which in this case would be in the standard "floating" mode) since there are multiple fights going on at the same time rather than just one. In fact I think with this one the cases of spectators existing will be minimal...

In both cases the fights could be set up depending on the scoring, so for example people would only fight enemies of similar skill (5 kills/deaths up or down for example) rather than have a person that has a score of 20-0 fight a person with 0-20 >_>

Thoughts?
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

Anyone?
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

Comment

*head explodes*
      deserve victory

Comment

basically, a tournament.

Okay. Lends itself to 2- or 3-hour games, though.
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

No, not a tournament, the last bit is just a "bonus" to keep the fights "fair" and not have nubs end up fighting the most skilled people. It's not the main idea. The other two are, to reduce the wait time for the spectators. Save it from becoming a waiting lounge like in the Jedi Knight games where only one fight is going on at once and the rest can only watch until their turn comes.

Comment

Ermm no Can't have multiple arenas, there must be only one arena. The reason is simple 2 gladiators are fighting the rest are watching the fight. If there's noone to watch you what point there is to do crazy stunts and stuff:p So 2 fight the winner remains in the arena and a new gladiator enters the arena as a new gladiator. The last man standing is the winner.
            Abraham Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Comment

And what point is there joining a server when you have say 10-20-30 minutes to play if all you will do is wait for your turn? I don't know about you but I join to play, not watch a pretty screensaver.
              Besides, if you even read the ideas the first one leaves much room for spectators to be in as well... It's up to the mappers and the coder up to how many arenas will be within the map. And I seriously doubt they'd go for 16 arenas which would be the number needed to have no spectators at all (in 1 on 1 that is, half that in 2 on 2)
              And with your last man standing style idea whoever lost a match would then exit the server and go to another one so that he would get to play before a map change (especially the first few people) so you wouldn't have many spectators again.

Comment

Well the new gametype will be the devs only objective for now anyway so there's plenty of time to reconsider the way it will work or if it even going to be included in the end.
                Abraham Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Comment

Working...
                X