Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been playing Thievery - some thoughts for Nightblade perhaps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been playing Thievery - some thoughts for Nightblade perhaps.

I've been playing Thievery, solo and mp, and whist it is a great job the one thing that really annoys me is the speed. It is just too fast. Everyone runs everywhere and as soon as a Thief sees you it becomes DM.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but that is not what Thief was about.

And I know it puts some people off (I've been told). I know it's a v popular game but when I envisioned a mp Thief it was not a DM game. The stealth elements are great but the running is just. . . not stealthy. I've suggested a run meter before and I know people dislike the idea. But why? It would mean proper stealth play. I also find the Thieves too powerful in hand to hand. If the circle straff you you stand no chance since the sword is not powerful enough.

Anyways, just airing my moans.

I really think a run meter would enhance this game.

You should've seen Thievery 1.2...

Comment

Actualy with time you will learn to counter dmthief. It will become 75/25 chance to guard to get favorbale result with blackjack thief who trie to confront you. Worst thing is when they ko/kill helpless ai or dm maps which are thief favorbale alredy (folly), or when they gang up with sword/bj.

Comment

the circlestrafer's nightmare: jumping guards. and a high mouse-sensitivity

and, if you firebolt them in the face, they'll fly away from you.

But still a run meter would be useful. maybe something like in Frag-ops. Check it out at www.frag-ops.com
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

LOL. Just met Foppish Paz and Pinging out Iggles for the 1st time.

Comment

Once you've been playing a while you'll learn to counter dm thieves. Not many thieves try to dm becuase it normally ends up getting them killed. I think thievery is well balanced in that regard.

Comment

The more you play the more tactics you will see, observe and learn to use.

Comment

First off - while thief made everything prone to sneaking and ghosting the levels, you could always "DM" the guards.

The same applies to thievery. If it is such a fun game, you'll see it because there are so many ways to victory, so many tactics. I've never seen a game with that much replayability. Just learn to counter, and come up with new strategies.
                JM

Comment

Yeah, I know I dm'ed all the guards in thief. Mainly because I needed the time to explore and couldn't see much with my overly dark monitor. The best tactic was making a lot of noise and front-on BJ'ing the guards when they came to see what the racket was.

A "problem" (if you can call it that) with thievery is that it is balanced for our current online players - people with huge amounts of level knowledge and experience. This means that people just starting will quite probably find the game somewhat unbalanced. After all, you are at the beginning of learning the tactics, counter-tactics and counter-counter-tactics for the various situations. You won't have the reactions that experienced players have developed.

Of course, in a way games are most fun when you're still learning them, because there is so much you have to experiment with.
                  Immortius' Forge

Comment

If you want help on anti-dming, I could show you some moves. I doubt you want help on thief DMing, but I say it's better to DM than to die anyday. Personally, I like thievery over thief because there is a lot more manuverability. I also enjoy the speed, it makes maps go by a little faster. If anyone wants to just spar I'm open for that too.

Comment

Originally posted by immortius
                      A "problem" (if you can call it that) with thievery is that it is balanced for our current online players - people with huge amounts of level knowledge and experience. This means that people just starting will quite probably find the game somewhat unbalanced. After all, you are at the beginning of learning the tactics, counter-tactics and counter-counter-tactics for the various situations. You won't have the reactions that experienced players have developed.
                      That's not a bug it's a "feature".

Doesn't what you said above apply to just about every game?

Comment

Well yeah, that's why it is a "problem" and not a problem. I thought I made that clear. Perhaps your a little out of things because you're overjoyed from ToD?
                        Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by immortius
                          Well yeah, that's why it is a "problem" and not a problem. I thought I made that clear. Perhaps your a little out of things because you're overjoyed from ToD?

haha! What the hell, I'll go with that. I was so "overjoyed" with our win that I thought you were implying that it was a real "problem" that the game was designed to be balanced for experienced players.

Comment

To the original post,

After playing Thief3, it seems the developers learned a few things from Thievery. Maybe the devs for Nightblade can learn a few things from Thief3, such as un-KO-able when alerted.
                            "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

That's kinda strange though, don't you think? I hit to the back of the head KOs an unalert guard, but if you sneak up on a somewhat alert guard it does nothing? You're still hitting him in the same place with your BJ, and he still doesn't know where you are.
                              Immortius' Forge

Comment

Working...
                              X