Thief bots?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief bots?!

hey, i just read jokers post on nightblade, and he mentioned Thief bots, maybe this was a typo? come on Thief bots?! i can see it now:

Thief Team---------------
    (AI)SpamSlayer says: I Got the Flag!
    (AI)Chief says: I got your back

SAME time on guard team
    (AI)Brody says: Base is under attack!
    (AI)Smithy says: Area is secure!

back to thief team---------
    (AI)SpamSlayer says: I'm under heavy attack!
    (AI)SpamSlayer says: I'm all alone here!

(AI)SpamSlayer was hacked by a Devilfish

ok, maybe i have the wrong idea in mind, but this Sai guy however he pulls this off i'm sure it'll be great. but having Sai and Joker does this mean your gonna trash ElJoelio's code?
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

On the whole we've been building on ElJoelio's code.
    However for obvious reasons, I've had to start more or less from scratch, Thieves aren't really designed for hand to hand combat and bleeding was found not to be the most efficient tactic upon close inspection.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Cave ne ante ullas catapultas ambules!

Comment

so when these thief bot guys get hurt and they have like healing potions will they auto use them?

i think i'm still in the idea of Thieves vs. Guards which i don't think bots would be in

Comment

The plan is to have bots use most if not all of the inventory that players have access to.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

what I want to know is this- how do thief bots work? Or rather, what is your intention of making them work?

I mean, it's kind of hard to make a bot stick to the shadows at all the right times dontcha think? which is why I may be impressed.

A lot of times, random actions and different points of movement don't always work for these types of gameplay.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that the possibility of getting an thief bot to work INTELLIGENTLY just boggles my mind. I wait for your response.

Comment

The king is dead... Long live the king!

Sai might be an acronym for... "Super Artifical Intelligence"

I've seen the prototype thief bot... It's got some mad light ducking skillz...
            I can see how with a few checks for various conditions the bot could be quite stealthy... Sure it won't be nowhere as smart (or dumb in some cases...) as a human thief, but then again... How smart was the guard ai in thievery?

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
              How smart was the guard ai in thievery?
              Horribly stupid, yet with insane accuracy, and the hearing of a bat.

Kidding! Kidding!

Comment

Let's just hope then that the Thief AI's frob accuracy won't be anything ridiculous like 99% when stealing loot. :p
                Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Program them so if an objective or the last piece of loot is physically blocked, they'll hide in the most convenient shadow and complain about stacking.

Comment

At this stage, i'm running a kind of hybrid pathnode network form of navigation, Pathnodes store their visibility which allows me to *weight* a path, controlling how likely it is that a both will travel to a particular place based on how well lit it is. Obviously I can't really leave at that, seeing as map makers like to put their pathnodes smack bam in the center of a corridor, so I also do some trace checks at pathnode locations, so that they don't automatically run straight down the center of a corridor.
                    It's hard to get this style of navigation working efficiently.

At present Bots roam throughout a level looking for loot and Items, frobbing it on sight when in range, taking corners and moving into new areas carefully. I've written some guard avoidance behaviour such as moving out of LOS, crouching to minimise sound, stopping in shadowed corners etc. Most of which is a little buggy at present.

I haven't touched the Ai in a little while being a little swamped with Uni work, but at the end of next week, I'm back on a break, The stuff that's floating around on the svn is pretty basic as is. At the moment i'm trying to write the best 'Ghost' Ai that I can, say anything beyond that (combat strategies etc) is relatively simple.

I doubt it will end up being a major particularly difficult for anyone who plays Thievery regularly, but I'm hoping it will make it possible to play in non-thief teams in sp at a relatively challenging level.

At this stage i'm not sure what the offical word is on Thief Bots in MP games, it probably depends on how well I write it

Amusing Anecdote : In an early version, before I put a restriciton on frob distance they were frobbing loot through walls.

Comment

LOLOLOLOLOL LMAO SALSA!! , that'd be pretty weird, lol

Thief Garwatt: Stop stacking!! Cheaters!!
                      Thief Garwatt: Lamo's!!
                      Thief Garwatt: TAKE IT OFF
                      SpamSlayer: why its using my resources, your a bot u should be able to move the crate, hahahahhahahha
                      Thief Garwatt has placed a vote to kickban SpamSlayer
                      Kickban SpamSlayer Yes-1 No-1
                      Bots have uber admin abilities to over rule vote.
                      SpamSlayer had and anayersum.
                      SpamSlayer has left the game.
                      Thief Garwatt: MWHAHAHAHAHAHA
                      Sai has entered the game.
                      Sai: Hey wats up Thief bot?
                      Thief Garwatt changed name to Chief]>CoD<[
                      Chief]>CoD<[: Well i just kickbanned SpamSlayer for not wearing his tag, lol

ok i went a lil off topic at the end but thats what i see in a Thief bot

ok, so for the Thief bots will there be like a DM bot? (lets base it on my KO's skillaz, lol) but well, i think DM bots would be cool, in solo u could get good practice with DMers and less people will complain when i KO all the players

Comment

From a coding standpoint, I must say I'm quite excited to see how this turns out.
                        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Honestly, if they pull it off, that'll be much MUCH more amazing than anything Ubi Soft has done with Splinter Cell 2. As awesome of a game that was, it still stands nowhere near the innovation that Thievery offered to the gaming community.

Comment

What about maneuverability? Will the bots be able to hop over railings and such?
                            <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

Well, there IS at least one Thief FM that has a thief bot. But he generally just DMS anyone he finds. Search for "Benny the Guard". Its not in TTLG but its a C5 (or C4) mission. Im hoping that teh AI is far better than that.
                              Feel the power of the

Comment

Working...
                              X