Sucky lighting on static meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky lighting on static meshes

Well, kinda grew to like those static mesh thingies, since now i can build shitheaps of complex crap with 2dshape without ghastly HOMs ripping up my maps from top to bottom.

If only the lighting on them werent that sucky (see below. I put the thing into the worst light possible to bring out the effect better). There i sit half an hour fiddling and then Ued makes all my painstakingly fiddled stuff look fugly

Any tips on this? (apart from fiddling even more with the lighting)

No specific Nightblade question, but if you guys dont take that long till NB will be played with UT2010 its at least related, so there
    Attached Files
    My leet Thievery Map
    My leet UT3 Map
    My leet AS Map

The main thing to remember when dealing with static meshes is that they use Vertex lighting, so basically the best idea to get better lighting is to tesselate the faces.
    http://www.planetunreal.com/phalanx/...ial_vertex.htm

Hope that helps =)
    Phalanx Campaign
    Executive CEO of NCM Mining Co. (Corvus Campaign)

Comment

Tesselate, huh. Thanks

Now to redo some stuff >_<;
      My leet Thievery Map
      My leet UT3 Map
      My leet AS Map

Comment

Hm so 3DMax can export static meshes out of the .usx packages so they can be edited and also imports them back? Any other programm which does this for less the price of a new PC or even better, free?

I think i'll just leave that few objects which give me lighting shit as brushes and make them nonsolid with some blocking volume inserted >:/
        My leet Thievery Map
        My leet UT3 Map
        My leet AS Map

Comment

I don't what functionality these programs have but there are a few freeware 3d modelling apps.

Blender

Wings 3D

GMax

Comment

DUUUUDE LIKE 3DWINGS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!

Sorry for the caps but im overwhelmed that there exists exactly a program which is free, small, without crap i dont want shoved down my throat by geek faschists and does just what i want. Needed a plugin for .lwo files importing and bazong!

I can make stuff with CSG/2dshape easily, texture it within UEd, export it, tesselate it and import it back readily textured without ugly edges/vertex lighting crap. And its easy as fuck!

I likes yuo *Smoooch*

Seems to have some modeling possibilities too, but i guess my 2dshape uberwiz skills are enuff for the time being
            My leet Thievery Map
            My leet UT3 Map
            My leet AS Map

Comment

Working...
            X