Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple ideas

Ill let you guys take these ideas and duke out the balance:

Ethereal potions for thieves: Lets them pass through guards and box-stuff (not walls or other solid objects) Possibly only for use when not using other potions, because invis, ethereal, cat would be truly impossible to counter.

Crack bolts for guards: I want to be able to crack a thief for 10 seconds! Or para bolts should last that long.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

Originally posted by Garlisk
    Ill let you guys take these ideas and duke out the balance:

Ethereal potions for thieves: Lets them pass through guards and box-stuff (not walls or other solid objects) Possibly only for use when not using other potions, because invis, ethereal, cat would be truly impossible to counter.
    Someones been reading my "mix" thread.
    Anyway, this item (if inserted as a buyable item) should be really expensive... that's why I don't like it if it could be bought... Instead, if it were a mix, a thief would need an Invis. - catfall - Speed potion to get it, this is 230 loot, which is quite balanced (price/quality style).

As for using it with other items, well... seeing that it requires so many expensive pots allready, I doubt the thief with this pots has many more equip... unless he's attempting a onetime 'suicide' run.

generally, I do like this idea, but only if it were a mix-item and not a buyable potion.

Originally posted by Garlisk
    Crack bolts for guards: I want to be able to crack a thief for 10 seconds! Or para bolts should last that long.
    Crackbolts for guards = nay... can you say Overpowered?

Parabolts are allready quite effective, they are intended for a guard to close in on the thief, not to para him for a guaranteed kill.

Comment

No I didn't read your mix thread...sounds interesting tho.

Crack bolts dammit, thieves need to have some fun too! :wink:
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Here's an evil anti - camper idea :

Blink

It may be a map - specific spell or potion , be buyable (not likely) or mixable (sounds good)

Once inventory item is frobbed , thief "blinks" and teleports to the next wall he sees (limited range , perhaps launch a virtual projectile flying like a crack arrow or translocator beacon) , and is teleported back when the effect wears off (5 seconds)

Teleportation would of course spout bunches of particles letting the guard see where the thief goes and came from. He can travel through any entity , but must not end in anythings collision cylinder.

Telefrag (on caster only) occurs when :
        -guard or any object blocks the destination next to the targed wall/floor point ;
        -something blocks the starting point after that taffer teleported ;
        -caster is wounded while spell is active.
        When telefragged , player simply vanishes (no THcorpse) but a few gibs are spawned to entertain the cunning guards

If blink potion is a mix product , it would need 2 speed potions to prevent thieves from escaping too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
          Crackbolts for guards = nay... can you say Overpowered?

Parabolts are allready quite effective, they are intended for a guard to close in on the thief, not to para him for a guaranteed kill.
          Why would crackbolts for guards be overpowered? Considering that this game screws guards every chance it gets, a crack bolt for a guard would cost 150 loot, crack the thief for 0.03 seconds, and travel through the air at walking speed. But of course a thief could pick up crack bolts from the KO'ed guard, and use them like normal crack arrows.

Why shouldn't the equipment be more equal? Guards get screwed with their shitty equipment, while thieves get all the goodies.

The equipment is so unfair right now, that a single thief can always beat a single guard in any confrontation. Until, of course, the thief has run out of supplies. With a full loadout though, a single thief can easily defeat multiple guards at the same time (ie, multiple guards guarding the folly gem, or the DE book), due to thief items that are actually powerful, whereas the guards get absolute shit.

The only real advantage the guards get is the "defensive advantage" - they have the ability to camp because they know the thieves have to come to them.
          [/whiny rant]

EDIT: wow I re-read that after i posted and it was even whinier than I thought. Anyways, in case you couldn't tell, I liked Garlisk's idea of crack-bolts. As for ethereal potions, hell no - thieves already have invis and catfall.

Comment

Ethereal potion was an idea I had in thief FM's. It however wouldn't work in the DarkEngine as passing through rooms caused game crashes. But its also a little out of place here. Whats to stop me from going into Spider, go into the inner courtyard, and fly thru the wall, thru the floor into the Apartments?

As far as crack arrows for guards... I was thinking more of a Paralyzer Smoke arrow for guards. If thief (or guard) walks into the purple smoke, they will be paralyzed for like 5 secs everytime they walk into it. This will therefore have the same smoke effect that last longs like the crack smoke does, yet keep up with the guards mode of operations and weapon types. Now if you miss with the paralyzer.. its not totally lost.. just like crack.. if u miss with crack.. there is still a chance of walking into it during a battle.

Comment

I like the mix potions thread. Very cool idea.

But as for crack bolts for guards? Not so good.

They already have the paralyze bolt, and that works in pretty much the same way as the crack arrow.

Albeit with some differences, but that's to be expected since thieves and guards are supposed to differ on each other with strategies.
              "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
              even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
              of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                Ethereal potion was an idea I had in thief FM's. It however wouldn't work in the DarkEngine as passing through rooms caused game crashes. But its also a little out of place here. Whats to stop me from going into Spider, go into the inner courtyard, and fly thru the wall, thru the floor into the Apartments?

As far as crack arrows for guards... I was thinking more of a Paralyzer Smoke arrow for guards. If thief (or guard) walks into the purple smoke, they will be paralyzed for like 5 secs everytime they walk into it. This will therefore have the same smoke effect that last longs like the crack smoke does, yet keep up with the guards mode of operations and weapon types. Now if you miss with the paralyzer.. its not totally lost.. just like crack.. if u miss with crack.. there is still a chance of walking into it during a battle.
                I thing Garlisk ment Ethereal as in, cannot take damage... somewhat like the ghost in Theatre.
                You'd litterally become a ghost.

To balance it out, one should not be able to attack or frob/use objects themself when ethereal.

Comment

Umm, no , I meant exactly what I said:

Lets them pass through guards and box-stuff (not walls or other solid objects) Possibly only for use when not using other potions, because invis, ethereal, cat would be truly impossible to counter.
                  www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Working...
                  X