Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better way to communicate location to other players

I have 2 ideas for this:

1) A new whisper command, let's call it whisperlocation. This command works exactly like whisper, except that the location information is displayed based upon what your crosshair is pointed at, not where you are.

Example: You are a guard in Gerome. You are on the roof of the South Barracks. You see a thief run in to the North Barracks. You aim your crosshair at the north barracks, and use your bind for "/whisperlocation Thief Seen!". Your team-mates see "[North Barracks]" as the location info for that whisper.

2) A printf-style argument could be added to the current whisper command. That is, you could change your bind to "/whisper Thief Seen at $p!". The "$p" would be converted to the location that your crosshair points to.

So in the above example, the guard team-mates would see "[South Barracks] Slappy whispers: Thief Seen at North Barracks!"

Of course for either of these to work, the map location info would have to be more complete. See my other thread about that.

Slappy,

I must say.....

This idea rocks!

All it would take is for the mappers to name locations a little more intricatly and it'd make the game so much better!

~TuF~

Comment

It's a great idea, but I suspect it'd be somewhat complicated to impliment. Having said that it's not like I know anything about the subject.

Comment

Very similar to the "pointing" idea someone had, where you could target an area and press some button, and the targeted area would be somehow distinguished on the screen of anyone looking at it. Either idea would be nice.

Comment

I don't think this would be too hard to code: when the player presses the button, it shoots out an invisble "bullet" and whatever zone it is in when it hits something is returned to the screen. However, I'm not sure how this would work with doors etc. and if it is possible to check what zone the "bullet" is in.
          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Something along these lines or the pointing concept would be great. The mappers might need to spend a bit more time defining and debugging the labelled regions in the current maps though, which aren't always reliable or complete.
            {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
            Contact details updated
            I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

If you want more detailed location infomation..how about getting them to make locationID actors have a box..instead of a cylinder.. Right now the way it is..you have to make a big cylinder to reach the 4 corners..which then makes it expand beyond the room walls.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache{NAD}
                If you want more detailed location infomation..how about getting them to make locationID actors have a box..instead of a cylinder.. Right now the way it is..you have to make a big cylinder to reach the 4 corners..which then makes it expand beyond the room walls.
                Is there some reason to not have lots of locationID actors?

If not, you could use several smaller-radius cylinders to cover the boxy rooms without much overlap.

I just read a little bit on Zones and such - couldn't each room be made it's own zone? I know you're limited to 64 zones on a map, but most maps don't have that many rooms anyway.

In any case, the possibly-inaccurate information caused by one big locationID is better than no information at all (since you know that the information will be off by only one area at most - you still know the general location).

Comment

Wrong. There is a LocationIDBox:

(Taken directly from the mapping pages)
                  ThLocationIDBox - a box shaped id for exact marking of rooms. Has Breadth, Width and Height, which spread in both directions from the centre of the location id, i.e. a height of 10 will make the box ceiling 10 up and the floor 10 down, giving a total height of 20 (just like the CollisionHeight works on normal actors). Use the grid to work out the distances you need.
                  It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Working...
                  X