Hard or soft soles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard or soft soles?

I think a thief should have the choice between hard soled boots or soft soled shoes.

Advantage to hard soled boots: Immune to caltrops.
    Disadvantage to hard soled boots: They make more noise.

Advantage to soft soled shoes: They make very little sound, even while the thief is running.
    Disadvantage to soft soled shoes: Caltrops can cripple you. In the regular way, naturally.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
    even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
    of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

No...
    What would the point be in being immune to those very few caltrops, that can usely be passed otherwise, if you make so much noise that every guards hear you as they would otherwise hear your scream :roll:
    "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody-Reaper
      No...
      What would the point be in being immune to those very few caltrops, that can usely be passed otherwise, if you make so much noise that every guards hear you as they would otherwise hear your scream :roll:
      I don't even understand that statement. :roll:

The whole point of caltrops is that they slow a thief down. They are not easily passable either. Especially since I've seen some guards use them like they were going out of style.

Otherwise the caltops can be made more difficult to avoid if you're so worried about that minor detail.
      "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
      even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
      of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Or thieves could carry moss arrows, and use them more effectively than my track record has been
        CTG

Rhymin & Stealin

Comment

Originally posted by Taffergirl

They are not easily passable either. Especially since I've seen some guards use them like they were going out of style.
          OMG!! Caltrops are going out of STYLE!! OMG OMG..
          I SMELL A SALE!!!

*runs to Cals-R-Us*

P.S. Taffer girl.. what name do you play under?! Im on WAAAY too often and I've never seen this name playing.

Comment

Thieves should remain vulnerable to caltrops... but I thought about other shoes types :

-furrs shoes : expensive , but would quieten footstep on most surfaces except carpet (increased) and grass.
            -gum shoes : cancelled footstep sounds on stone and metal , reduced on other surfaces but sometimes makes disturbingly loud squeaks on tile when running.
            Would half the caltrop paralyzing time (normal time would be slightly increased)

Comment

Originally posted by Stakhanov
              Thieves should remain vulnerable to caltrops... but I thought about other shoes types :

-furrs shoes :[redacted]
              -gum shoes :[redacted]
              *nearly dies laughing*

owh... my sides hurt.
              Gotta knock a little harder
              Break through the door
              --Cowboy Bepop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door OST signed by Yoko Kanno *heart*

Comment

OO OO!

I got some --->

Steel Clogs -> Thief makes a CHINK CHINK sound where ever they go but can kick ass real good!

Straw(gasoline covered) Shoes -> Theif makes less noise but his feet will set alight dead easy and stay burning for hours!

The intitial ideas good, but a little over powered, caltrops should still hurt but maybe for less time
                ~TuF~

Comment

I'd rather have the Blackjack be buyable, for 150 banked loot... and simultaniously offer Soft Soled shoes for 150 banked loot.

This way ghosters can choose not to buy a blackjack, but soft soled shoes instead...

I wouldn't like to see an imunity to caltrops, since it would make caltrops virtually useless... and the thieves allready have moss arrows to deal with them, so...

So in my version thieves would have a choice between a blackjack or silent shoes and allways start out with their current (noisy) footwear...
                  Offcourse, since the blackjack is quite powerfull, the silent shoes would have to have a great benefit too... I suggest 50% less movement noise and less fall damage (30% less fall damage).

Comment

How about a choice? having a BJ AND soft shoes could be too powerfull, lets say you have one or the other?
                    ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                      How about a choice? having a BJ AND soft shoes could be too powerfull, lets say you have one or the other?
                      I don't think it'd be too powerfull at all, the thief chooses to spend that much cash on those two items, so he set's himself back quite alot in the same manner I do with my sword.

On second thought, maybe the items might be a little more expensive, say 200 banked loot. Then the thief would have 800 banked loot to buy equipment, lets say he'd go oldschool and buys a blackjack. That'd leave him with 600 banked loot, and 400 after he buys the shoes, which is not much at all, considering he doesn't have any other equipment (vines, lockpicks etc.) yet.

Comment

personally i don't find anything wrong with the shoes currently...i mean...big deal...you make noise when you run....WELL you are a thief....you don't run unless chased...you sneak you crawl you creep you don't run....so the idea of soled shoes is pointless.....but i full heartedly agree with making the BJ buyable in the beginning but maybe starte with less loot then 800
                        thats me!---------->

Comment

Originally posted by SuperNoob
                          personally i don't find anything wrong with the shoes currently...i mean...big deal...you make noise when you run....WELL you are a thief....you don't run unless chased...you sneak you crawl you creep you don't run....so the idea of soled shoes is pointless.....but i full heartedly agree with making the BJ buyable in the beginning but maybe starte with less loot then 800
                          True, that's why I initially priced it at 150. Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                            I'd rather have the Blackjack be buyable, for 150 banked loot... and simultaniously offer Soft Soled shoes for 150 banked loot.

This way ghosters can choose not to buy a blackjack, but soft soled shoes instead...

I wouldn't like to see an imunity to caltrops, since it would make caltrops virtually useless... and the thieves allready have moss arrows to deal with them, so...

So in my version thieves would have a choice between a blackjack or silent shoes and allways start out with their current (noisy) footwear...
                            Offcourse, since the blackjack is quite powerfull, the silent shoes would have to have a great benefit too... I suggest 50% less movement noise and less fall damage (30% less fall damage).
                            I'll do ya one better... I'd say start off with the normal supplies, but be able to sell them back to the shop for like 60% of value. So like those 10 broadheads can be sold back to the shop if you are a ghost and know you wont need them. This way you can scrape a few extra bucks for something you'd rather have ....like a speed potion or something

Comment

gum shoes : cancelled footstep sounds on stone and metal , reduced on other surfaces but sometimes makes disturbingly loud squeaks on tile when running.
                              As I recall, gum shoes are already in.

They're used for the rat squeak.
                              Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Working...
                              X