Suggestion: Guard bodies should not be invisible in the dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Guard bodies should not be invisible in the dark

Explain the logic behind guard bodies being invisible in darkness. A _live_ guard can't hide in the darkness, so why should a dead/unconscious guard be hidden?

The fact that guard bodies go invis in darkness suggests that physically it's possible for a guard to hide in the dark. Am I expected to believe that a dead body has more skill at hiding than a live guard? <insert "stupid guard" comments here..>

Originally posted by Slappy
    Am I expected to believe that a dead body has more skill at hiding than a live guard? <insert "stupid guard" comments here..>
    Bingo.
    TCO – Retired
    Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

this is supposed to represent a thief hiding the body. Basically what your asking here is that now that you guards can wake up, and the only defense thieves have is to hide the body... you don't want to have to look for the boddy so you can just frob the body and bingo guard is back.
      "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
      -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

If guard bodies weren't invisible in the darkness, that wouldn't mean they couldn't be hidden. Thieves would actually have to hide the bodies in out of the way places instead of just dumping them into a large patch of darkness.

And actually, I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking for here. Either guard bodies shouldn't be invis (like live guards), OR live guards should be able to hide in darkness too. It just seems to me that guards should always be visible in darkness, or always be hidden.

Comment

Guards CAN hide in darkness. It just has to be ambient darkness. Try it sometime; you're in RLF, so don't they teach you guys this stuff?
          TCO – Retired
          Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU
            Guards CAN hide in darkness. It just has to be ambient darkness. Try it sometime; you're in RLF, so don't they teach you guys this stuff?
            It is comon knowledge in the RLF that everything in ambient darkness goes "invisible"... including traps/Guards/objectives. On maps with ambient darkness, such places are widely (ab)used.

But the invisibility question is true though. I think the devs. left it in to make sure the wake-up feature didn't become to overpowered... it also is another reason for guards to light up shadows instead of shadowslashing them, because besides thieves, there just might be hidden bodies there.

Comment

I can't believe you're actually asking this, Slappy. Guards now automatically awaken after 5 minutes, AND you can awaken them immediately if you find them. A MAJOR benefit for the guards, and it's not good enough for you? So basically what you're asking for is to make something that shifts the game drastically in favor of the guards even FURTHER in favor of the guards?

Comment

Yeah, LR, I realized I posted this a bit too early. I'd only played for an hour or so before coming up with this "idea".

After further play, I'm not complaining about this anymore.

Comment

Theres a huge bug with ko'd bodies though, when they're thrown into water, they dissapear.

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                    Theres a huge bug with ko'd bodies though, when they're thrown into water, they dissapear.
                    I don't think that matters, though, as it's not THAT body that comes back. A new AI spawns at the nearest node on the map. The only thing that affects is being able to frob the body back awake, and if the thief has taken the time to move it anyway, it probably wasn't going to have been found accidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                      I don't think that matters, though, as it's not THAT body that comes back. A new AI spawns at the nearest node on the map. The only thing that affects is being able to frob the body back awake, and if the thief has taken the time to move it anyway, it probably wasn't going to have been found accidentally.
                      Ahh, I found out what happened. the bodies don't disappear, but are invisible... this is a disaster in water because the guadrs have no way of lighting it.

And I have to disagree that guards cannot wake up on spaces where there are no nodes. I've put several AI guards on roofs, rafters and walls myself. Quite hilarious to see them standing there, yet a serious threat to any thief who doesn't expect it, heh.

Comment

And I have to disagree that guards cannot wake up on spaces where there are no nodes. I've put several AI guards on roofs, rafters and walls myself. Quite hilarious to see them standing there, yet a serious threat to any thief who doesn't expect it, heh.
                        The best part is when a player spawns as one of them...another reason guards should be able to buy catfalls.
                        ]V[]V[

Comment

Today I found out the hard way how easy it is to get a body onto the rooves....if they want to take that risk to make a guard suffer when he spawns then let them, they earned it.
                          One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                          -
                          The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Working...
                          X