Supply chest too vulnerable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply chest too vulnerable

The supply chest is very important the guard team. Allowing thieves to move it is akin to allowing guards to move thief objectives. The latter isn't allowed for game balance, so why was the former added?

The chest doesn't even respawn if it's thrown out of the world - it's gone forever. Allowing thieves to move it a little bit is a good idea (to move it out of the way of an objective or whatever), but allowing them to run off with it is not.

Do guards really need yet another item to guard? Guarding the loot and objectives isn't enough?

Most guards place the chest near objectives anyway so I don't think it's "extra" to guard.
    TCO – Retired
    Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

you can find the chest on the map. Even still just have someone keep it with them when they camp. I doubt thieves are going to bother with the chest in a camped room.
      "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
      -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

This becomes a bigger problem when you have dumb guards who don't realize they have the chest, and then go chasing thieves and lose the chest. In 1.2 you'd end up with situations where the chest is in the thief spawn or some other huge dark patch. It was, however, possible to retrieve it.

Now you'd lose the chest forever because the thieves will throw it out of the map.

I'd like to see one of 2 things:

1) A supply chest spawn point. The supply chest shouldn't spawn on a guard, it should spawn on the map in some protected place (like in a house near objectives).

2) A guard who spawns with the chest not being able to use any weapons until he drops the chest. This will make them realize they have a duty to the guard team that must be fulfilled before they start chasing taffers.

Originally posted by Majarisan
        you can find the chest on the map.
        And if the map shows that the chest is in some irretrievable place? What then? The chest should at least respawn if it's thrown off the map (like any thief objective does).[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by Slappy
          2) A guard who spawns with the chest not being able to use any weapons until he drops the chest. This will make them realize they have a duty to the guard team that must be fulfilled before they start chasing taffers.

And let him get raped by thieves?
          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
          "Dream is Destiny"
          Waking Life

Comment

The supply chest is very important the guard team. Allowing thieves to move it is akin to allowing guards to move thief objectives. The latter isn't allowed for game balance, so why was the former added?
            False. Objectives are necessary for a thief win (even moreso now that a thief win by elimination is virtually impossible). The chest is not necessary for a guard win. On the only occasions I've seen a thief make off with the chest in the 24 hours since 1.3 came out (and it only occurred when guards were being negligent with their supply chest), the guards won anyway. In any event, a thief with the chest is VERY vulnerable, being slow and completely visible.

Comment

See my post in the other thread I started..

After playing 1.3 a lot more, I've realized that the chest is a lot less important now anyway. Since guards can go through a lot more lives in a round (due to KO'eds waking up), they get a lot more loadouts, and so the chest isn't as necessary.

I was looking at things they way they are "on paper", and not how they actually play out. As someone said in-game a couple hours ago, "1.3 = guards win". So I'll shut up now. Or maybe I'll post my pro-thief ideas, since I've been taffin' at least as much as I've been guardin'

EDIT: I still believe that if the chest is thrown out of the map, it should respawn somewhere.

Comment

You can ALWAYS get your hands on the chest again... somehow at least.
                "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                  False. Objectives are necessary for a thief win (even moreso now that a thief win by elimination is virtually impossible). The chest is not necessary for a guard win. On the only occasions I've seen a thief make off with the chest in the 24 hours since 1.3 came out (and it only occurred when guards were being negligent with their supply chest), the guards won anyway. In any event, a thief with the chest is VERY vulnerable, being slow and completely visible.
                  Impossible for everyone but Great Salsa (GS).
                  http://www.boomspeed.com/kenthar/thieverykils2.gif

GS? Oops...

Comment

Impossible for everyone but Great Salsa (GS).
                    http://www.boomspeed.com/kenthar/thieverykils2.gif

GS? Oops...
                    We got the point Salsa. That was totally off topic.

Comment

Heh, Bloody-Reaper.

Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by DeepQantas
                        Heh, Bloody-Reaper.

You wouldnt imagine the places i have been...
                        So far, the places i would/have be(en) able to get the chest from again are:
                        Roof of thieves spawn in Warehouse.
                        Wrong side of the wall or on wall in Korman
                        Rooftops of bourgeuis... all of them :twisted:
                        Rooftop of stronghold

Those are the most "Out of this world" places i can think of right now... But generaly, if there's a few crates or cooperativ guards in the map... it can ALWAYS be done. (Altough the thieves probaly gor the objectives by that time... But nevermind that)

Comment

How about attaching a torch to the chest?

This way, you'd see where it is more easily, as well as being able to see the taffer before he throw it down the cliffs of Spider.

Good idea? Additions?

Comment

Originally posted by LegalAssassin
                            How about attaching a torch to the chest?

This way, you'd see where it is more easily, as well as being able to see the taffer before he throw it down the cliffs of Spider.

Good idea? Additions?
                            Guards can already tell where the chest is on the sketchmap, at least on these maps that have them. And a thief carrying the chest is already quite visible.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                              Guards can already tell where the chest is on the sketchmap, at least on these maps that have them. And a thief carrying the chest is already quite visible.
                              It doesn't update though, try picking it up and running with it whilst in sketchmap. You move but the chest stays put, I assume this applies if someone else moves it too....
                              One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                              -
                              The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X