Differences between listen and dedicated servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between listen and dedicated servers

FYI, a listen server is a non-dedicated one.

While playing with some guildmates on their non-dedicated servers, we've noticed some real differences to playing on a dedicated:

1) Mantling sounds can be heard by other players.
    2) Weapon charge-up grunt can be heard by other players.
    3) The server-player sees a spotlight where watchers are looking.
    4) The server-player was able to see scouting orbs as a guard, but other guards could not see them.

I think it'd be great if 1,2, and 3 could make their way into the dedicated servers. Hearing people mantle and charge their weapon gives players new audio clues. Also it's kind of strange that the player can hear himself mantle/charge but no one else can.

In this vein, it seems as if the "hidden" taunts, 13 thru 15, cannot be heard by others on a dedicated server. What's the point of singing the "Stop taffin around" song if no one else can hear it?

EDIT: It seems that on dedicated servers, none of the Team Speech menu items are heard by anyone (except the player saying it). They work fine on non-dedicated servers. I haven't had a chance to test the regular Taunts on a dedicated, but I suspect they don't work properly.

As far as I know all taunts work on dedicated servers as well. I have bound a key to play thtaunt 15 and everyone in the dedicated server can hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappy
      FYI, a listen server is a non-dedicated one.

While playing with some guildmates on their non-dedicated servers, we've noticed some real differences to playing on a dedicated:

1) Mantling sounds can be heard by other players.
      this one might be true. There are times I do hear the mantle from others.
      2) Weapon charge-up grunt can be heard by other players.
      This can be heard on all types of servers.. i hear it all the time on the publics
      3) The server-player sees a spotlight where watchers are looking.
      Ok watchers dont have Spotlights in them..bad idea...this should actually be taken out of SOLO mode too.
      4) The server-player was able to see scouting orbs as a guard, but other guards could not see them.
      This should be fixed.

In this vein, it seems as if the "hidden" taunts, 13 thru 15, cannot be heard by others on a dedicated server. What's the point of singing the "Stop taffin around" song if no one else can hear it?
      I hear all taunts... especially that annoying but hilarious "stop taffing" song on all servers. Perhaps a re-install is necessary for you.

These answers are assuming Mogs & TCO are both Dedicated servers.

Comment

Kewl, you must be on crack.

I just checked this on the CTG server. While spectating others, I could never hear them mantle, charge-up the weapon, or do any guard taunt. I even asked the guard I was spec'ing to do these things, and I heard nothing. Yet I hear all of these things on non-dedicated servers.

I also tested this on the RLF dedicated server with Poe. I could not hear mantling or weapon charge-up sounds (except my own), but I _could_ hear all the taunts and Team Speech.

I'll try to test this on Mog's and TCO, and see what I come up with.

Comment

Probably just a matter of optional replication; when bandwidth is low, the less important stuff (eg. taunts) isn't replicated to minimise lag.

Comment

I'm used to being able to stand behind a thief and charge up my mace before making my presence known.....if I'm close enough to reach out and touch them they would have heard me power up and turn around. Conversely I've mantled up right next to a human guard and they haven't noticed..also why do the AI never hear you?

Sounds more like a bug to me
            One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
            -
            The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Ok I just tested this on the TCO dedicated server. Results:

1) Mantle sounds are not heard by anyone but the mantler.

2) Weapon charge sounds are only heard by the charger.

3) Taunts can be heard by all.

From what I've seen, the mantling and weapon charge-up sounds need to be looked into - why aren't they heard by anyone else?

Comment

From what I've seen, the mantling and weapon charge-up sounds need to be looked into - why aren't they heard by anyone else?

Because they aren't suppose to be?
                Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                "Dream is Destiny"
                Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
                  Because they aren't suppose to be?
                  Sure they are.

How come they are heard on non-dedicated servers? If the sound was supposed to be heard only by the player who made it, you wouldn't hear it on any kind of server. This implies that Chainsaws is correct, and it's a bug. That's is why I made this thread, to bring to the devs' attention that this is something that should be fixed.

Comment

Working...
                  X