Invis Meters Lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invis Meters Lie

Vi2us was the first to notice this to my knowledge but it happened to me twice tonight so I decided to look into it.

Basically the percentage read out and gem can sometimes tell you that you're invisible when you aren't. The severity of it being off varies. I've been completely visible and yet it says 0% or it says 0% and i'm about 11% visible. Here are some links to pics that show what I'm talking about.

I'm not the only one this is happening too btw. I've received several complaints on our server about it. It also is not map specific.

http://members.accesstoledo.com/chad...%-Aquatone.jpg
    http://members.accesstoledo.com/chad...%-Aquatone.jpg

Yes, it occured to me too.

Comment

There's one reason that I don't use that percentage meter, cause of this.
      I heard about this problem when people found out about it.

Really, I don't see the meaning with the percentage meter. The lightgem is both reliable - and the only thing needed to see if you're invisible or not. I've gotten used to it, so I always know when I'm completely invisible. Look at Grank's screenshots, and look at the lightgem - you can see that it's not 100% dark. Get used to the lightgem colors, and get rid of the percentage meter.

And what's the use to see how many percents you're visible? Guards will see you anyway - if you're not completely invisible.

Comment

The lightgem does lie in several places on maps.
        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
        "Dream is Destiny"
        Waking Life

Comment

Modetwo, it looks to me like his lightgem is as dark as it gets, in those pics. The pics had their brightness cranked WAY up so we could see what was going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappy
            Modetwo, it looks to me like his lightgem is as dark as it gets, in those pics. The pics had their brightness cranked WAY up so we could see what was going on.
            I'm sure - it's not.

That lightgem has a green-yellow color, and is not pitch black. It looks like the thief are 10% visible or so, just right.
            But pic no.2 is very strange - cause it shows the thief to be fully visible.

Comment

modetwo, the gem is wrong sometimes too. Besides ... i sure hope a thief at 10% doesn't look like the one in the second screenshot

How dare you editing your post, to make me look like an fool ??
              On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Comment

Mode I assure you the gem was indicating I was in complete shadow and was invis. I've played the game long enough to know that at least.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                    I'm sure - it's not.

That lightgem has a green-yellow color, and is not pitch black. It looks like the thief are 10% visible or so, just right.
                    But pic no.2 is very strange - cause it shows the thief to be fully visible.
                    I'm sure - you're wrong.

I trust Grank to know what a fully dark lightgem looks like.

And look at how light-gray that shadow is in the first pic. The brightness levels have been tweaked so high that the lightgem doesn't look pitch black anymore.

Comment

Hrmmf.

I'll test some when I get home from work.

Comment

Hmm, don't know if I allready posted this, but I have a screenshot of this bug too. Grank, I mailed you the picture, because my host disabled uploading (they're moving the servers).

Edit: mailed it to you MSN hotmail adress.

Comment

I think this bug is happening because there are multiple factors that affect the visibility. Perhaps the exact coordinates of the model (located on the ground, and checks for shadow) and perhaps any light that makes contact with the thief model.

That way, the model could be behind the pillar, and the coordinates of the model is directly behind it, but part of the model is sticking out behind it, cathing light.

That way, the coordinates tell the gem and meter it's dark, but the light tells the model it isn't, and adapts the visibilty of the model accordingly.

Thus, I think right now, the Gem/meter and the actual visibility of the model are working on two seperate sources, explaining why this bug is happening.
                          Offcourse, I could be dead wrong, but it would seem as a logical explanation.

In any case... this bug needs fixing!

Right now, to make sure you are invisible, you have to check with F5 all the time, and switch back when you need to fire an arrow or something...

Comment

Hmm, this is strange.

Did this bug occur with the 1.3 patch?
                            Never had any problems with this before.

Comment

Never had any bug with the lightgem either. I did try having my percentage showing up above my screen, but IMO it was only distracting.
                              JM

Comment

Working...
                              X