New mine circumvention suggestion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mine circumvention suggestion.

If you read most of my posts in this forum, you'll find that about 90% of them relate to my opinions on changing mines. I stand by all my previous suggestions, but since no one likes them, I have a new idea (or rather an offshoot of an old one). My previous idea was to allow thieves to "creep" over mines without detonating them. My new idea is that we let players do this only while under the effect of a catfall.

*hope*

I like!

WHY NOT--->

Enable front dodging, when the theif (or guard) double taps forward they *hop* forward sharply, doing a low jump which avoids mines or caltrops which lie in the couple of steps ahead?
    ~TuF~

Comment

ohoh, how bout a split jump?! And erh... Ahh! Wallrunning! yeah, yeah... It's cooool...

(Nevermind me...)
      "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Yes Occam, yes.

Especially since the mines do more damage in 1.3

Comment

I'd rather have the catfall to allow me to run over caltrops, but have mines be hazardous to guards as well, so they cannot block doorways they want to pass through themselves (at least not without wasiting a lot of HP and a mine). It also makes it easier for ghoster as they can set the mines back in place without guards knowing of it.
          ]V[]V[

Comment

I like these ideas. Caltrops and mines are too powerful right now, as if three gaurds stick theirs in a key point (Map house in skelts with 1 door, etc.) it pretty much makes it impossible. If there's only 1 thief left, it makes it impossible, unless they kill all the gaurds somehow. A skilled thief should have some way of avoiding them, and I LOVE both ideas. (The mine and double tap jump idea)
            The only constant is change.
            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

This idea wins.
              JM

Comment

I like - possibly for both trops and mines. The only problem is you'd need to trash the moss arrow. Why use it, when you could use a catfall and never leave a trace?
                {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                Contact details updated
                I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Catfall for creeping over mines without setting them off is a good idea.
                  But not for calltrops, we allready got moss for that, and the catfall is way to cheap to be such an uber item!

Another suggestion (this one's for the Monkey).
                  Mines should damage both guards and thieves who walk over them, but guards should be able to frob mines like whistlers and move them somewhere else... so they can still get through a mined doorway, but it'd take a little time to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                    Another suggestion (this one's for the Monkey).
                    Mines should damage both guards and thieves who walk over them, but guards should be able to frob mines like whistlers and move them somewhere else... so they can still get through a mined doorway, but it'd take a little time to do so.
                    Good idea, though it would be rather unrealistic that guards with metal gloves on can move mines around and a nimble thief can not.
                    ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                      Good idea, though it would be rather unrealistic that guards with metal gloves on can move mines around and a nimble thief can not.
                      It's pretty unrealistic that a lot of the things in the game respond differently to thieves than they do to guards (mines, whistlers, watchers) but they still do. It's necessary for the sake of gameplay.

Comment

I like where this thread is going. Mines in doorways have 1 counter only... pick them. Thats just not good enough. It takes way to long, makes way to much noise, and by the time you halfway done with picking just 1 mine you have every guard in the area jumping down your throat while beating your uvula(sp?) with their maces. Maybe picking would be enough if didnt have maps with a door you HAVE to go through that are ALWAYS camped. Breakout comes to mind... Gerome... skelstonhead to a much lesser extent. Creeping over mines wouldn't be overpowered at all... considering how slow creeping is. You have to spend a long time making it over the mine, during that time you could be visible(depending on which door we're talking about) and the guards could shadowslash you or simply attempt to walk through the door and bump into you. If your caught while creeping over a mine... well your pretty much screwed, might as well run and set off the mine and die.
                        "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
                        -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

Ya really, it's pretty much impossible to pick a mine in a heavily camped spot.

Comment

Why do we actually pick the mines in the first place? It's not like they have keyholes or anything. How about instead of the normal picking sound, you use some time to get to get the lockpick in place in wich you make no sound, when the pick is in place a HUD tells you so. When you release the mouse button only a very faint click (small radius) can be heard as the mine is deactivated. Also mines should not be picked up automatically when deactivated.

Combine it with no potion drinking sound and a potion that keeps you invisible only when you are not moving about (from here on called static-invis), then think of this situation:

You are a thief at the dark end of a very bright marble-floor hallway, about 2 guards wide and a big chandelier in the ceiling in the middle. One guard with firebolts is camping at one wall, and a dozen playing around near a lyre in the room at the other end. The room with the lyre has an open window with a drop that'd kill you normally. There is a row of mines under the chandelier so you cannot dodge them by going between them nor jumping over them (as you'd hit the chandelier and fall down on the mines).
                            Hard to ghost? Yes. Impossible? No.
                            You have 2 invises, 1 catfall, 1 static-invis and a set of lockpicks.
                            You use the invis to sneak up on one of the mines, use the static-invis to be invisible while you get the pick in place, then deactivate the mine just as a guard makes a lot of noise by just landing from a jump, then use the second invis and catfall to just run forwards, grab the lyre and jump through the window to safety.

Guards heard nothing, saw nothing, and noticed only that the lyre was gone.
                            ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy
                              I like - possibly for both trops and mines. The only problem is you'd need to trash the moss arrow. Why use it, when you could use a catfall and never leave a trace?
                              So you can get rid of cals there and make it so they can't put them back.

Comment

Working...
                              X