Vines and why they shouldnt be free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vines and why they shouldnt be free

I think that starting all thieves with 2 vines is a really bad idea. In 1.2 as in the thief games, those who bought vines got the advantage of using enterances and other paths that those who squandered their money on other things could not use. This puts a lot more strategy into inventory. Also, it puts thief resources (not sure but i think that the value of the starting inventory is the same) into a specialized item that is rather expensive and would not be part of many of my loadouts.

On a more anal retentive note: shouldnt they be called rope arrows? As I recall, in Thief, rope arrows could attatch to wood only whereas vine arrows had the added ability to attatch to metal grates whereas those in thievery do not.

Vine, rope....Picky picky.

But yeah, give me back my broadheads!

Comment

Many maps have been designed to a point where vine arrows are allmost standard issue. Nostalgia and Korman spring to mind.

The thieves allready have to buy lockpicks, so I think it's fair they get vines for free.

Comment

I agree with Virus on this one.
        Instead - remove the blackjack.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo

I was gonna say ditto until I read that!
          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
          "Dream is Destiny"
          Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
            I agree with Virus on this one.
            I have to admit i use the Blackjack more now because I know the guards come back, but i'd be happy to see it as an option...

..gotta be customizable!!..
            ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
              ..gotta be customizable!!..
              Actually - that was what I ment.

I don't use the blackjack, I rarely use broadheads.
              Instead, I could use another flashbomb or an invis.

Comment

I have never bought two vines before. One vine is good enough for 98% of the time. Two is gratuitous. I agree that it eliminates some creativity with loadouts. However, I would be very reluctant to support removing all of them. I rather like not having to buy vines anymore. But I vote to reduce the number to one.
                "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

For those of us who can't aim the bow very well (cuz all those different arrow types seem to shoot differently), the 2nd vine comes in VERY handy when your first vine goes flying off into the skybox..

Comment

Originally posted by Slappy
                    For those of us who can't aim the bow very well (cuz all those different arrow types seem to shoot differently), the 2nd vine comes in VERY handy when your first vine goes flying off into the skybox..
                    Slappy, if you should find you've lost a vine at some point, and have to make a tricky shot later on, you can range in using a regular broadhead. Not so costly to lose, and if you make the first shot, you can retrieve it once you climb up your vine anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sverrik
                      On a more anal retentive note: shouldnt they be called rope arrows? As I recall, in Thief, rope arrows could attatch to wood only whereas vine arrows had the added ability to attatch to metal grates whereas those in thievery do not.
                      THANK YOU!

Exactly what I think!

Comment

LR, vine arrows weigh more so you shouldn't always rely on that unless its a short shot.

As Arrowgrab mentioned to me in game, I think thieves should be able to shoot vine arrows in gaurds and tie them to things.

Who's up for hanging a gaurd from the Nostalgia balcony!?
                        The only constant is change.
                        (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by Salsa
                          Vine, rope....Picky picky.

But yeah, give me back my broadheads!
                          People like you are the reason why the devs made the broadhead cost UGAH! much more banked loot.
                          JM

Comment

More often that bloody vine arrow disappers completly and only leaves behind the vine it self.

Hate when that happens... And sometimes the wood you hit just makes it disappear instantly! (I have problems getting from the lower roof to the top roof in Bourgeius sometimes causs of this )
                            "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                              LR, vine arrows weigh more so you shouldn't always rely on that unless its a short shot.
                              Not that I've noticed, actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X