Flare Clock Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flare Clock Suggestion

I would like to see a countdown clock for how long your flare is still lit. For example, when you get paralyzed as a thief, there is a countdown that tells you that you have 4 seconds left until you're unparalyzed. I think it would be nice to know how long you have until your flare runs out. Just in case you light multiple flares, it would be nice to have the time clocks stacked on top of each other so that the first flare lit clock would be on the bottom and the newest flare lit clock would be on the top. This comes in handy because it's nice to know when you need to throw that flare into the corner instead of it going out on you while you're still running.

Agreed!
    ~TuF~

Comment

There are also countdown clocks for the various potions with a timed effect, so it seems only reasonable to have one for flares. The only problem I see is the multiple flares issue. It could get difficult to code and position multiple countdowns for multiple flares.

Perhaps a single counter, then, for the most recently lit flare?

Comment

Why do we have so many counters? A paralyzed counter? Don't you think it would be enough to know that you got paralyzed? An invisible counter, that is nice to have. A speed counter isn't really that useful. You run fast for a short period of time. Good enough for me.

I argue that some counters should be removed, and that the flares should not have counters.
        "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
          I argue that some counters should be removed, and that the flares should not have counters.
          Perhaps make them a player option, then?

Comment

I was thinking a game-wide thing, not a player option, because then it would be silly.

Why don't we have a timer for how long we have until the weapon we are weilding becomes powered-up? Why don't we have a timer for burn time? Why don't we have a timer for breathing underwater? Why don't we have a timer for lockpicking The answer is that it is more realistic when it appears as a random, unknown event than a hard, predictible, time-based function. That is all I am talking about. You run into some caltrops and you hop on one foot for two seconds or more. Does it matter how long you are paralyzed?

As a supporting observation, has anyone noticed that as a guard you fall too far and take damage, your running speed is reduced for a few seconds immediatly afterwards? No paralyze timer there!
            "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
              Why don't we have a timer for how long we have until the weapon we are weilding becomes powered-up? Why don't we have a timer for burn time? Why don't we have a timer for breathing underwater? Why don't we have a timer for lockpicking?
              OMG! Buho's right! We need LOTS more timers!

Comment

Actually, having a breath timer for when you're underwater would make sense. When you're holding your breath, you can generally feel when you NEED to breathe. Right now there's no way for the player to know when his character is running out of breath, unless of course he waits so long he starts to take drowning damage..

Most of the things Buho mentioned are only a few seconds at most (para'ed after falling, weapon charge-up, etc). That isn't long enough for a timer to be useful. However, flares last 15 seconds or so, so having a timer would indeed be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappy
                  Most of the things Buho mentioned are only a few seconds at most (para'ed after falling, weapon charge-up, etc). That isn't long enough for a timer to be useful. However, flares last 15 seconds or so, so having a timer would indeed be nice.
                  If I'd been in a more productive state of mind, this is what I'd have said. Kudos to Slappy.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                    There are also countdown clocks for the various potions with a timed effect, so it seems only reasonable to have one for flares. The only problem I see is the multiple flares issue. It could get difficult to code and position multiple countdowns for multiple flares.

Well, since the game seems to remember how long they burn anyway, I think they just need to rig the timer to a meter on the HUD.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat

Not really,

As far as i understand most stuff in UT is an object, so it would just be a case of adding, or as the case may be displaying the value held in the property that determined how much burning time was left.

You'd only be able to see the time left on the flare you had in your hands, as soon as your throw it you dont see the time

There would be no extra memory useage as the value for the buring time allready exists... we just need to show it.

Like i said tho, this is from what I've gathered from other peoples posts on the subject of Unreal Code, and my knowledge of Classes in C++.
                      ~TuF~

Comment

Currently, each of the time counters has a specific spot on the screen. When you invis/cat/speed, for example, the timer for each appears in it's own place. I'm sure it's POSSIBLE to show flare1, flare2, flare3 etc in different spots, but it's still a bit more work to get it done.

It may also have some effect on framerates, as HUD elements can make a big difference there.

Comment

Why not just have one of those lines for flares?

Instead of one line for each flare (or just showing the latest flare), have something like this:

[code:1:6bcca4a776]
                          Flare: 15 12 5
                          [/code:1:6bcca4a776]
                          This would indicate that the latest flare has 15 seconds left. The 2nd-latest has 12, and the 3rd-latest has 5 seconds left.

When a flare is lit, you just add it's time to the front of the Flare timer queue. It doesn't matter if you throw it away or not - the timer would still continue to tick down. Previous flares' time continues to be displayed until the time reaches 0.[/code]

Comment

A line with multiple countdown timers for every flare you have lit?

Am I the only one who thinks this is a) ridiculous, and b) totally against the spirit of thievery?

If a timer absolutely HAD to be included because so many players demanded it, it should only apply to a flare you are *holding*. This is Thievery, not a sci-fi game where you have various linked electronic devices passing information to your visor-projected HUD about the status of your possessions.

The *best* way to implement something like this would be to have the flares change physical appearance as they burn out. Either change the colour of the light they emit, the colour or size of a flame spurt coming from the end of the flare (ie. change the model and it's behaviour), or make the radius of the light flicker and/or diminish as the flare ends it's life.

I'm heavily against cluttering up the HUD - what is on there already makes it more cluttered than I would prefer (can you tell I'm really looking forward to CoC: Dark Corners?). That sentiment is especially strong when it smashes the game's immersion (already suffering because it's an online game and has various contrivances to aid gameplay that hamper immersion) such as by providing gratuitous countdowns. I'd rather not use the visibility percentage but the lightgem doesn't provide enough reliable and indicative levels of visibility. Anyway, frankly, it's not that hard to estimate how long your flare has remaining to burn. For goodness sake it's something you observe many times every game you play as a guard!

For a breathing timer: how about instead of having another countdown, your life drops change colour one-by-one to blue until your breath runs out and you start taking injury? As soon as you draw breath back in, they rapidly switch back to red.
                            {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                            Contact details updated
                            I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                              You'd only be able to see the time left on the flare you had in your hands, as soon as your throw it you dont see the time
                              :roll:
                              ~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                              X