Ideas to make guards fear KOs again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas to make guards fear KOs again

I've touched on a few of these points in posts in the General forum, but I wanted to put them here in once place.

The problem is that with the wakeup feature, many guards are taking advantage of the fact that if they get KO'ed, it's no big deal. Personally I'm still playing like I did in 1.2 - I try not to get KO'ed. But this is obviously a big problem. I've even seen it as a guard - Asylum now seems to be one massive battle in the crematory (the room next to the thief spawn). This is utter crap.

Ideas to make guards not like being KO'ed:
    1) A KO'ed guard must wait before respawning. Perhaps a minute or two, then he respawns as normal. While waiting, chat is disabled.

2) A KO'ed guard cannot respawn into another AI, but instead can only respawn into the original AI he inhabited - this requires the guard to wait until he is frobbed, or until the 5 minute timer is up. While waiting, chat is disabled.

3) When a human guard is KO'ed, that guard body is KO'ed permanently. A KO'ed AI still wakes up as normal. (I think it was SwissMercenary who had this idea)

I prefer #2, #1, #3 in that order.

Ideas 1 and 2 would also fix problem of the guard immediately returning to the place he was KO'ed.

Don't like any of the ideas. Infact, i like the new system. For me it doesn't need changes.
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

I prefer the one posted by... er, I forget... in general discussion - You spawn into a new body with what you had on ya at the time of your KO.
      If you die (suicide, crater, arrows, swordteefed) you get a new loadout.

Basically the way thieves are, with a bit about KOing.
      M-M-M-M-MONSTER BLACKJACK... jack... jack... jack...

Comment

I also like the timed respawn.

Whenever a guard get's KO'd, he has to wait 15 seconds in his new AI body before he can occupy it. The guard would simply see from the eyes of the AI for 15 seconds, chat disabled.

Comment

Some of these ideas might do the trick, but of course they have to be implemented by the devs.

Using the options available right now, turning off frob wakeup is probably a good idea - this gives the thieves a guarantee that a KO will remove 1 guard life for 5 minutes.

If the auto-wakeup time is set to more than 10 minutes, that's pretty much as good as removing the feature entirely. Since most rounds are only 15 to 20 minutes (just a guesstimate based on my experience), a 10 minute KO time is about the longest it could be and still have wakeup have some effect.

Comment

Here's an idea that just occured to me: what if thieves had the option of killing guards they knocked out (slicing their neck or something)? Doing so would take two seconds or so, and it would make the thief visible. This way, guards who are knocked out by a thief trying to break out of a tight spot or being in a hurry would still stay alive, but stupid guards who go thief hunting alone into dark areas would be down permanently.

Comment

hmmm... generally bad idea.

I once tried to kill a BJed body , with no result but "ouch !" ...
              Perhaps make bodies react like guards , take slash/arrow/crater damage , but also wake up then (wouldn't be unbalanced as the murderer just has to charge up his sword [250 loot] or shoot arrows in the exposed back) and have a harsh waking state (just like when blinded)
              Of course it would cause obj failure in maps like Spider or ShoalsGate , resulting in thiefs death.

Comment

I quite like the first one.
                JM

Comment

How about just give the guards as many loadouts as there are AIS in the beginning of the round?

13 AIs: 13 loadouts.

If the loadouts run out - give the guard a sword. Nothing more.

Comment

#2 sounds good to me,

Although, I've got fairly frustrated at times because other human guards have refused to come wake me up, despite my position being fairly clear on the map & me offering to buy them equipment if they'll just let me come back into the game

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                      How about just give the guards as many loadouts as there are AIS in the beginning of the round?

A blunt sword, 5 bolts and a flare. Then I'm with you. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
                        I quite like the first one.
                        Funny. Am I the only one that thinks it will kill the game for guards? Everytime you getting KO'ed, you wait a minute or 3. Then, if you DON'T respawn in a new body, you can have thieves that "spawn camp"... or rather "body camp". They'll just grab some stuff, come back, wait for you to wake up, and KO you again. Not kool.

Add to that most people have an attention span as long as my pinky, and we have some issues...
                        TCO – Retired
                        Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Tieom
                          I prefer the one posted by... er, I forget... in general discussion - You spawn into a new body with what you had on ya at the time of your KO.
                          If you die (suicide, crater, arrows, swordteefed) you get a new loadout.

Basically the way thieves are, with a bit about KOing.
                          YAY.. yea that was close to my idea... KO'd guards spawn into new AI and get new loadout, but when you spawn into a waking up guard... they just get the basic items: melee (if they bought one), 3 flares and 10 bolts. This way towards the end of the game.... when thieves are runnning low on supplies... so are the guards.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary

So, let's see:

13 AI in the game. Crappyplayer gets knocked out 13 times in the first 4 and a half minutes, and always gets full loadout. Then 20 minutes later, Goodplayer takes down 3 thieves within 20 secs while heroically defending an objective, but gets BJ-d by the wily fourth thief. Since the loadout limit has been reached, Goodplayer is stuck with only a sword, thanks to Crappyplayer using up all the loadouts before.

Way to go, punishing the good players.

Comment

Guards should have to wait out the full penalty or until awoken by fellow guard and spawn in the same body they had, with the same loadout. When KOed they enter a sort of spectator mode where they can spectate any of their teammates but not talk to them. They can however talk to other KOed guards. Also when a guard wakes up he cannot be hurt in any way untill he's clicked to confirm he's ready.
                              It might seem cruel to have guards wait 5 or more minutes, but it's no less fun than being the first thief to die with 0 lives left.
                              Also thieves should be limited to dropping the bodies or at least not throw them very far.
                              Bodies can be killed, but you lose even more points than killing him while he's alive.
                              ]V[]V[

Comment

Working...
                              X