Singleplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singleplayer

Just wondering whether I'm the only person that would like to see to a proper single-player version of thievery: like in UT, where you completed levels sequentially with the difficulty steadily getting harder. I was thinking along the following lines:

-At the start of each round, you would be given a "town map" overview, allowing you to select a mission (you would start off with only a few unlocked, with more appearing as you got further).

-The AI intelligence/skill increases with each subsequent game

-Any loot you collect in a mission, becomes the banked loot for the following mission

-Once you completed the entirety of the game, you got some kind of reward (erm, I dunno what, extra voicepacks/skins?)

I don't think we have quite enough maps to put this into action yet, but it'd be worth considering once we get to about 20+ maps. It would also be a nice place to fit in a tutorial level, for noobs (I've been thinking of doing one myself, since no-one else seems to be)

Hmm. An all-encompasing map. Silly question to ask you Dan, but can the code be made to work smoothly for it?

One quick thought, we could flesh out the city in flats/burger/payback/whatever and make them all connect somehow. That would be cool.

And the RPG'ers would love you.

Kiech
    www.thecrackaz.com
    Kiech

Comment

Originally posted by Keich Bepho
      And the RPG'ers would love you.

I sure know I would. Sounds like a great idea.

One big city-type map, and you pick your missions. As you go along, others open up. Maybe start with the lower loot missions or small-time jobs. Gradually going on to the bigger, harder maps. Kind of like being a small-time pick-pocket type thief working his way up to be a masterthief.

Also, as you go, the AI's intelligence gradually increases.
      Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
      "Dream is Destiny"
      Waking Life

Comment

Is there a way to make the city map expandable, though? New maps are starting to be produced at a pretty good rate. How would they be able to fit in?

Comment

no, you'd have a 2d paper type map and new areas of the map would open up as you progress through missions, think Dungeon Keeper or Magic Carpet or something with a bit of choice for some missions.

Yeah, sorta good idea that you'd start with some of the easier missions, with low ai skill but not much in the way of equipment and starting loot, and you'd progress that way..

sorta theres the problem of organising a story and crap around it though. Some of the levels are very disparate and all are sorta similar difficulty.

also saving/loading would have to be sorted
          Red Guard
          Thievery UT

Comment

No saving in the middle of a mission. When a mission is complete, it is recorded. Kinda like UT is done. That problem solved.

Good idea on the "start with few items and startout loot as well" The earlier you are in the game, the less items you have available to you. As you progress, these items become available (similar to the scouting orbs in T2).

Another idea: you keep a percentage of the loot from the pervious map for your next map's loadout. This is also similar to Thief, but you only get part of the loot instead of all of it. Or maybe perhaps you get to keep all of it. Whatever works best.

The storyline, IMO, would be one of the easiest things to create. Heck, if needed, I could write a storyline to incorporate the maps with one another. I'm sure there are several people that would love to work on that as well. Incorporating maps would be easy.

Oh yeah, something I forgot to put into my previous post. Whenever you get caught, or die, perhaps you get sent to Breakout. This map must be completed for you to progress. Just like the other maps, the further along you are, the harder the AI. So if you play it one time at a low level, the AI may be at 0.4 and the next time you go against them, if you are that far, they are at 1.25.

If you don't ever die or get caught then it could also be easily implemented in a storyline.
            "Dream is Destiny"
            Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Someone EVIL
              Whenever you get caught, or die, perhaps you get sent to Breakout. This map must be completed for you to progress.
              I all of a sudden don't like this idea for some unknown reason.

Kiech
              www.thecrackaz.com
              Kiech

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
                Whenever you get caught, or die, perhaps you get sent to Breakout. This map must be completed for you to progress.

Kiech
                www.thecrackaz.com
                You're kidding me. Breakout is EASY in single player.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat

Kiech
                  www.thecrackaz.com

One of the easiest maps, if not the.
                  "Dream is Destiny"
                  Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat

Kiech
                    www.thecrackaz.com
                    Yes, it is...but it still gives me the willies. I barely even know what is beyond those two imposing doors.

Kiech
                    www.thecrackaz.com
                    Kiech

Comment

Yes, it is...but it still gives me the willies. I barely even know what is beyond those two imposing doors.

What, you've never guarded it before?
                      "Dream is Destiny"
                      Waking Life

Comment

Yea, the doors and the exit. I kinda know the map now, but when I guard I am on the doors and the exit.

Anyways, its 'different' to learn the map as a guard and as a thief.

Kiech
                        www.thecrackaz.com
                        Kiech

Comment

Originally posted by oRGy
                          no, you'd have a 2d paper type map and new areas of the map would open up as you progress through missions, think Dungeon Keeper
                          Exactly my thoughts.

We could even have levels than blend (almost) smoothly into eachother like in Unreal; walk along certain corridors & it automatically starts loading the next map.

I was also thinking an expanded version of Flats, which would feature some plot-specific buildings (like a thief hideout, or a mini-jail to break out of). So between missions, you could always visit the city for some easy loot or to look out for hidden missions (you would unlock them by talking to certain people, or reading certain scrolls, etc).

I don't think sending thieves to Breakout would be a good idea, because noobs would soon get annoyed with that. It could tie in smehow as a single-mission, but not repeatedly.

Finding a plot to fit the levels shouldn't be too hard, & the idea of limiting equipment on the early levels is even better for easing new players into Thievery.

As for including user-maps, that would be a case of:
                          -Decide what maps should be used for the plotline (preferably being slightly non-linear)
                          -Spread the remaining maps between 'Fundraiser maps' (included so you can raise banked loot of future missions) & Bonus Maps (require special actions to be activated, like talking to specific people or finding bonus items)

Comment

OK, I'd like to suggest once again that The_Dan be taken on to the dev team. The guy spends more time coding new stuff than he actually does playing. He's coded a repairable objects script that was actually included in 1.3, he's produced an entire package for making human playable zombie guards, and now he's talking about a single player campaign for Thievery. Is there any reason he SHOULDN'T be considered part of the dev team?

Comment

Great idea Dan, I like it a lot

Don't take up all the Dev slots! Eventually I'd like to try!

~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                              X