Moment before thieves appear when flare-scanned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moment before thieves appear when flare-scanned

We all know how flare-scanning is frustrating, yeah?
    Well, here I come with an anti-flarescanning idea.

A thief that is in complete shadow for some time (9% or less) will like "stick to it and hide better", causing a delay before he can actually be seen when he switches suddenly to bright places (1-2 seconds?) slowly, not running, that is. So when a running guard will pass by with his flare, he won't see the thief right now. Also, they would have to patrol slowly when they hear a sound and they go investigate.
    Wouldn't that balance things, d00d?

School now... Have to go.
    JM

Balance?

I don't know. But I really like the idea. It would demand more from guards than just running around with flares, they'd have to spend time doing it.

Comment

I guess they will be lazy and just use buy firebolts, suicide and do the same thing over and over...

Comment

It already works in somewhat open areas. Just as the guard is about run by you, you can run in the opposite direction and he'll not notice you. I've had it work succsessfully even on the marble floors of folly.
        If an AI is following the guard, you're in trouble though, but there's not much you can do about that.

Oh, but I'd like to see that you become less visible and your collision hull should get thinner when standing upright against a wall.
        ]V[]V[

Comment

I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
            A thief that is in complete shadow for some time (9% or less) will like "stick to it and hide better", causing a delay before he can actually be seen when he switches suddenly to bright places (1-2 seconds?) slowly, not running, that is. So when a running guard will pass by with his flare, he won't see the thief right now. Also, they would have to patrol slowly when they hear a sound and they go investigate.
            GREAT IDEA! I actually like this one Lurox.
            I Need Training!

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
              We all know how flare-scanning is frustrating, yeah?
              Well, here I come with an anti-flarescanning idea.

School now... Have to go.
              Sounds cool, but it should only work when he sits completely still, for balance reasons.

Comment

oh man...who cares......flares light up places...thats all there is to it....the game doesn't need to be altered, just your playing style. Like mortalmonkey said...just go in the opposite direction....just because you find something in the game that makes it more difficult for you doesn't mean that it has to be changed

Comment

Hmm, good & bad idea:

Thieves get a few extra seconds of shadow invis, if they briefly nip out into the light: Good idea, although I'd rather have just a slower transition between visibility states (ie. the thief slowly fades into or out of visibility, as opposed to the near-instant fade that is implemented at the moment. Perhaps a gradual 10% change in visibility every second)

Thieves get a few extra seconds of shadow-invis if they are flare-scanned: No thanks
                  (Why should guards have to study every corner of every room in precise detail to decide whether a thief is there?)

Another reason why I don't like No.2:

-Thief hiding in a dark corner
                  -Guard realises there is a thief in a room
                  -Guard starts to check out dark spots with a flare
                  -As guard approaches thief, the thief can walk out of the shadow, using his extra invisibility & BJ the guard as he approachs the corner

Comment

Here's why I hate your first idea, TDan: 10% change in visibility per second. That means it takes 10 full seconds to go from full visibility to full invisibility, regardless of lighting conditions. It would be nearly impossible to escape from a guard once seen by hiding from them, if you have to wait that long to become invisible.

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                      It already works in somewhat open areas. Just as the guard is about run by you, you can run in the opposite direction and he'll not notice you. I've had it work succsessfully even on the marble floors of folly.
                      If an AI is following the guard, you're in trouble though, but there's not much you can do about that.

Oh, but I'd like to see that you become less visible and your collision hull should get thinner when standing upright against a wall.
                      So true. I've laughed my freaking head off when gaurds (A fellow CTG actually who I mocked for a while afterwards ) flarescan me 2 or 3 times in a row not even seeing me while I just sit there laughing.
                      The only constant is change.
                      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
                        Perhaps a gradual 10% change in visibility every second
                        Emphasis on the 'perhaps'. I'm looking for other people to fine tune the idea.

But really, if you were chasing someone into the shadows, you wouldn't instantly lose a lock on them just because it's darker. You'd start off with a rough idea of where they are & where they were heading, so they wouldn't immediately drop out of view.

Perhaps, one day I'll produce a mutator of this idea, & we can try it out.

Comment

A,

Suggestion: Thieves one or two seconds of invisibility after leaving dark area.

B,

Fact: BJ-s still have a radius of 180%

See what I'm driving at?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
                            (Why should guards have to study every corner of every room in precise detail to decide whether a thief is there?)
                            Nice, I'm going to answer with a question...

"Why would guards run around like idiots carrying free flares they got from the chest?"

These guards are somewhat ruining the point of the game... how do you want thieves to sneak with people acting like that?
                            JM

Comment

Me likey: when stationary and you're flarescanned you get 1/2 second, or poss 1/4 sec delay before illuminating. Not invis, not applied when you're moving at all (freeze and hope you're missed). This way guards will need to SEARCH to find thieves, whereas now they just hurl flares everywhere, then watch the AI do their work.

Me also likely: crouched reduces your vertical collision area, so chest-high shadowslashing would go overhead, and standing up against a wall reduces horizontal collision radius and visibility.

Me still thinky: BJ radius should be decreased a bit, with thieves receiving the above boosts.
                              {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                              Contact details updated
                              I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Working...
                              X