Wall Jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Jump

I've just played Splinter Cell, it's a really great game. I liked the wall jump and stretch-in-between-two-walls very much, only I've found just about 3 or 4 places where you could really use it (stretch, wall jump is used in many places). I think that thieves might use it very good :-)

+ : Thieves have more options getting into places with wall jump.
    Thives could also hide from guards using stretch.

- : Guards can be knocked out from above - very easy for a thief to KO a patrolling guard, especially in the city. (Too bad for guards, look above you)
    Some maps may require some touch-ups in order not to let thieves come inside through places they couldn't use before.

Ways to improve balance : wall jump may require some stamina. Or you cannot perform wall jump with a sword, because it's too heavy. Or something like that.
    Landing without using a catfall may be prety loud.

Some other thoughts : You can perform wall jump and stretch only after using speed potion.

Bad idea to put a poll in here. I suggest you at least get rid of option #3. Careful... some people here don't like polls...

Heh, it does seem like a good idea. Would take a lot of coding, I think, and would be hard to balance. Good idea though.
    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
    "Dream is Destiny"
    Waking Life

Comment

Hmm, ok, ADMINS, kill this poll, I can't do it...

Many things from SC could be incorporated into thievery, i.e. "Prince of Persia"-style hanging on the walls and pipes, etc...

I mean all thieves in this game are healthy (hopefully), strong (probably), and pretty slim (i guess) to perform all those tricks...

Comment

There is UT mutators that add all types of Matrix moves, and splinter cell is also based on the unreal engine... so not impossible.

Comment

I've actually always liked the idea of these moves in TUT, like going flat against a wall to avoid being "bumped".

I'm not sure about the split jump, whilst it could be a viable idea it's a long off, lets wait till a thief model we're happy with has been made.

Also, what about ledge hanging, a thief could mount the edge of a ledge (maybe hold frob whilst jumping and you semi mount the ledge to dangle and shimmy sideways???

I wouldn't want it turning into MGS, but at the same time I like the cools moves
          ~TuF~

Comment

That would be nigh impossible to code into the UT engine. And its not very realistic. How many people in the world can jump up a hallway's walls twice and hang there with their feet? Not really in the Thievery style. More like Ninjary.

And Builder: Splinter Cell uses the Unreal Warfare engine, not the Unreal engine.
            (AKA Dresden)
            Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Well, Unreal Warfare uses Karma (w/ Constrains and other stuff), I know, but it's still do-able. And for hanging and split, we can go to 3rd person camera to ease handling. It's not very cool to see a wall texture while you're hanging on a wall...

It's just too bad that developers make those cool moves, but limit your options in actually using them...

P.S. If we take in account that these guys are professional thieves, we can agree on that they train themselves to perform such tricks... :-)

Comment

i dont really think too much about the wall jump and strech but i do like the idea of going flat against a wall and maybe hanging, if we could have the flat against the wall thing could we add a knock to distract guards?
                Boss: Can you at least make coffee?
                Guy: It didn't work out at my last job
                Boss: where did you last work?
                Guy: Starbucks

Comment

How about this:
                  • While you hold the jump button down, you can hang on to ledges.
                  • If you press one of the strafe keys , you'll move sideways along the ledge.
                  • If you press the forwards key, you attempt to mantle the ledge. If mantle fails, you'll be dropped back to dangling from the ledge, not to falling.
                  • If you press the backwards key, you'll do a sort of backflip that'll turn your heading by 180؛.
                  • Holding the forwards or backwards key before you approach the wall will increase the mantle/backflip speed.
                  ]V[]V[

Comment

Moving while hanging (with backflips and stuff) would be cool, but would be a hell to code. Physics could probably be done, but smack that up with the net-code, and you'd probably need a whole new engine.

Thief 3, on the other hand... Well, there's always hope. :wink:
                    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                      There is UT mutators that add all types of Matrix moves, and splinter cell is also based on the unreal engine... so not impossible.
                      Hmm, MatrixMoves is a good mute, but

MatrixMoves & TUT = bad idea AT THE MOMENT

Imagine a mapper trying to accomodate for every possible place a player could go via:
                      -Stacking crates up
                      -Vine arrows
                      -Climbing on team-mates

& now:
                      -Wall-running
                      -Double jumps or increased jump height

It's a nice idea, but it would just lead to more people going to places that the mapper didn't expect & so would ruin the immersiveness.

Also, will guards be able to do these moves? If not, how are they supposed to catch thieves who are allowed to ignore the laws of physics?

Guard: Stop Thief!
                      (Thief runs up the nearest 20 ft wall & double jumps onto the roof of a nearby building)
                      Guard: Aw, crap

Comment

Ze problem? The builder likes it...
                        Makes it easier to break a map.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
                          Imagine a mapper trying to accomodate for every possible place a player could go via:
                          -Stacking crates up
                          -Vine arrows
                          -Climbing on team-mates

& now:
                          -Wall-running
                          -Double jumps or increased jump height

It's a nice idea, but it would just lead to more people going to places that the mapper didn't expect & so would ruin the immersiveness.
                          If mappers actually cared if players went outside the map boundaries (like me), they would build blockers from the top of or right behind every outter wall and up to the top of the skybox.
                          ]V[]V[

Comment

Only 3 maps are builder-proof at the moment... And skelstons head is very close to being it...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                              I've actually always liked the idea of these moves in TUT, like going flat against a wall to avoid being "bumped".

I'm not sure about the split jump, whilst it could be a viable idea it's a long off, lets wait till a thief model we're happy with has been made.

Also, what about ledge hanging, a thief could mount the edge of a ledge (maybe hold frob whilst jumping and you semi mount the ledge to dangle and shimmy sideways???

I wouldn't want it turning into MGS, but at the same time I like the cools moves
                              I think if you are gonna put any of these types of moves in the game.. ledge-hanging would be the best.... where thieves could hang out the ledges of windows or rooves and not be seen. that would be cool.. but things like double wall jumps are too much martial arts training...these are still thieves..not ninjas. And i think those types of moves first of all need to be unreal 2 engine like SC is... and.. thats a lot of coding for a free game... i think maybe to get this thing progressing, we should take up a donation for the devs.

Comment

Working...
                              X