Map change place protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map change place protection

YAY! One of my favorite maps is coming up next!

...loading

...loading

...loading

Connection Refused

FFS!

I'd like a 60 second delay after the first player joins a server after map change where only the players who were playing at the end of the previous map can join the server.

I think I'm penalised enough already with a slower computer, I don't need this too.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Sharing is fun!

I love taking turns!
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
      I love taking turns!

Yes, we know you like tking turns...
      Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
      "Dream is Destiny"
      Waking Life

Comment

Here we go again.

Didn't even give it a chance to live.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. It doesn't happen to me much, but I guess it would happen more on slower connections.
          (AKA Dresden)
          Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

It has happened a couple of times with me. I think it's anoying. So, yeah, good idea.

Comment

So all those with fast pc's will be denined access for one minute? This means if the server was full and no players quit untill the map changes and then hit f10 to cancel their connection, nobody will be allowed in untill one minute into the match... or around 30seconds after it started.

Yes, it can be frustrating to be kicked out of a game because your slow, but dead with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                So all those with fast pc's will be denined access for one minute? This means if the server was full and no players quit untill the map changes and then hit f10 to cancel their connection, nobody will be allowed in untill one minute into the match... or around 30seconds after it started.

Yes, it can be frustrating to be kicked out of a game because your slow, but dead with it.
                From your post it appears that you're one of those who wait until map change to take the spot of someone who isn't as fast as you.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
                  YAY! One of my favorite maps is coming up next!

...loading

...loading

...loading

Connection Refused

FFS!

I'd like a 60 second delay after the first player joins a server after map change where only the players who were playing at the end of the previous map can join the server.

I think I'm penalised enough already with a slower computer, I don't need this too.
                  It don't happen that often to be an issue.

Comment

ah hah! thats where you are wrong Kewl.....I, having what i am pretty damn sure is the slowest computer of all...constantly have this problem......it is a great idea that MUST be put in

Comment

nah..first of all... if the server is full..and someone else knocks you out..well then they should be allowed to play too.. don't be so selfish.

Also, thats a function of UnrealTournament Browser engine and would take lots more code than is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                        nah..first of all... if the server is full..and someone else knocks you out..well then they should be allowed to play too.. don't be so selfish.
                        When there's another server with 5-8 players on it already(meaning there are several slots open) and you get booted from the full server I don't see selfishness as an issue(at least not on the part of the player who was booted).

Easy enough to code I would think:
                        • The server makes a list of the IPs at the end of the round(the server logs all IPs anyway, not too much of a stretch).
                        • When the first person enters the map(or when the map is loaded) a timer of 1 minute(1.5 min.) starts.
                        • If someone not on the list of IPs enters the game before that timer is finished then the server auto kicks that player.

Comment

But what if someone really wanted to leave and hit F10?! thats client side since the server is actually "inactive" during map load time and won't see that. then the next person gets screwed out of his choice of team during the countdown and gets heckled for being a late joiner. And if there is another server with 5-8 people on it already..i highly doubt that they would wait around spamming the refresh button just to see their favorite server empty out... and if that actually happened, well then be the bigger person and join that other server when you get bumped.

Comment

I've thought a bit more about this and I think it would be best to have a 1.5 minute timer start after the map is loaded as opposed to when the first player joined(due to servers emptying on occasion).

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                            But what if someone really wanted to leave and hit F10?! thats client side since the server is actually "inactive" during map load time and won't see that. then the next person gets screwed out of his choice of team during the countdown and gets heckled for being a late joiner.
                            If there's someone who joins immediately after map change they probably were trying to steal a spot anyway.

Most people get screwed out of their choice of team as it stands right now anyway. Especially if you have a slower computer.

If people join a game a few minutes in most people don't mind if they play. I don't care if you join as long as both teams have lives left.

Come on, it's only a minute and a half, and you shouldn't have to wait that time very often anyway(unless you're trying to steal a spot).

BTW, it happens often enough for me to make this request.

Comment

Get a faster connection.

I don't ask for everyone else's gameplay to be artificially crippled just because my framerate sucks (although I reserve the right to whinge about it ).

I can't get a faster PC (yet), you presumably can't get a faster connection. Why not just live with it until you can, just as everyone else in the same boat does? Why not hop on an empty server and encourage a few people in the same situation to join you there in the meantime?
                              {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                              Contact details updated
                              I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Working...
                              X