Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm, another idea... Pickpocketing guards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm, another idea... Pickpocketing guards...

AFAIK if the guard picks up loot from a corpse it will be randomly respawned on the level. I think this is not cool, better put the loot bag on guards belt, so thieves can pickpocket guards. If guard with loot gets killed/stabbed - both thieves and guards can pick it up. But guards cannot pickup loot that was spawned. Or they'll just collect all loot and provoke thieves to go one on one.
    You can make a game type - Pickpocket thief match :-)
    When killing reduces your score, but stealth and amount of redistributed valuables - increases it :-)

Let's say that a guard manages to kill a thief that holds a majority of the loot.

This guard is now basically a walking objective, & so would end up barricading himself in the smallest room he can find. It would be stupid for a guard to go chasing more thieves, since he could get taken out with one BJ and give the whole game away.

& don't say that "honourable" players would ignore the fact that they're the main target and carry on playing normally. In this instance, honourable = stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
      Let's say that a guard manages to kill a thief that holds a majority of the loot.

This guard is now basically a walking objective, & so would end up barricading himself in the smallest room he can find. It would be stupid for a guard to go chasing more thieves, since he could get taken out with one BJ and give the whole game away.

& don't say that "honourable" players would ignore the fact that they're the main target and carry on playing normally. In this instance, honourable = stupid.
      this is not nesseccarily true...what if the player opted to not pick up the loot? then he would not become a "walking objective"....thing about the idea is most people leave the loot on the ground...because after a while it disapears and is gone from that area...either that or they pick it up and a thief KO's em and then gets a big helping of Loot

Comment

Originally posted by Errblah
        this is not nesseccarily true...what if the player opted to not pick up the loot? then he would not become a "walking objective"....thing about the idea is most people leave the loot on the ground...because after a while it disapears and is gone from that area...either that or they pick it up and a thief KO's em and then gets a big helping of Loot
        Why wouldn't a guard pick up the loot?

The idea being suggested is that loot never respawns but will get transferred between players in the game. Leaving loot on the floor will be a lot harder to guard than loot carried around by a player.

A possible idea I had, a while ago, is that thieves could frob a guard to take some of his recovered loot (as opposed to the hanging pouches you saw in Thief), but this would require a few things:

-The majority of the loot a guard recovers (lets say 80%) respawns in the level, to prevent a guard from hogging all the loot & again, becoming a walking objective

-Currently, any recovered loot is told to be respawned within the level, so this would have to be altered to prevent thieves from increasing the overall loot in the level.

-There would be a short time delay between the thief pickpocketing the loot, & the guards HUD loot counter dropping. It wouldn't be very stealthy if the guard got an instant alert to being pickpocketed

Pickpocketing is a potential idea I had for a Thievery mutator, but the problem lies in making it possible for thieves to frob guards (ie. requires a new player-class to be used). The hanging pouches may be slightly easier to code, but I get a feeling that something is itching to go wrong.

Comment

I always had problems with loot being instantly respawned...
          Perhaps let a guard take the dropped loot , then slowly return it (loot counter randomly decreasing) to avoid the living bank vault issue. It would represent the guard setting the values in place when patrolling the house.

The gold pouches are a must. The guard couldn't realize he's being looted , but others would !

Comment

I like the idea of loot returning gradually when a guard recovers it. Stops them being careless. Their score could gradually increase too as the loot is returned.

As for pickpocketing guards I think that if it is implemented then the hud display should change instantly. It's not that noticable and it would be like a real-life pickpocket success check...if a guard happens to notice he's short of loot he knows there's a taffer about but if he doesn't check it he never knows. Conversely, if the guard spends all his time staring at his loot counter, he would either get KOd or miss all the thieves.
            One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
            -
            The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Or how about guards actually having to RETURN the loot?

Say theres a bag of loot on the table and a guard taffs it. Then the bag would be replaced by something that indicates there SHOULd be loot there, but someone stole it. Say, a floating dollar icon with a cross through it.

Now, if a guard kills a thief, and he picks up dropped loot, it will be added to his belt. thieves can now regain this loot by KOing him, or frobbing him as he walks by.

When a guard has unreturned loot on his belt, and he frobs one of the aforementioned dollar icons. The required loot goes from his belt to his returned loot count. Upping his score significantly.

In order to make sure the guards don't lock themselves away with the loot, the loot on their belt would respawn automattically after 3-5 minutes, on a random loot location on the map.

Returning loot would be important, because that way the guards would have some control over where they'd place their returned loot, instead of having it respan randomly all over the map. It would also be usefull for thieves, since they can simply "pickpocket" loot from a guard by frobbing him (only works when vis. is <10, to reflect the fact that pickpocketing can only be done when the thief is unnoticed).

Comment

Bad idea. Why would a guard even bother returning it then? He just picks up a bunch of dropped loot, then finds some unassailable place to barricade himself in, and waits.

In a game where we're trying to encourage thieves to be LESS confrontational, this requires them to be MORE confrontational.

Comment

I don't mind, LR. Just let the guards give me more a reason to knock em out.
                  Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                  "Dream is Destiny"
                  Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
                    Case in point.
                    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Yeah, yeah. You'll be the first one singing a different tune when there's a guard holed up in the safe in Nostalgia with the lyre and 1000 recovered loot, with 6 firebolts and surrounded by caltrops and mines, won't you?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                        Yeah, yeah. You'll be the first one singing a different tune when there's a guard holed up in the safe in Nostalgia with the lyre and 1000 recovered loot, with 6 firebolts and surrounded by caltrops and mines, won't you?
                        Hehe, that's why I suggested to have the loot gradually respawn when the guard doesn't return it.

Comment

YEAH! What he said! You, you, you mean ol' rat!!
                          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                          "Dream is Destiny"
                          Waking Life

Comment

Me thinks keys on belts is better idea.
                            Or a special "put on belt" function that puts an inventory item on the belt for automated use, IE if you put a health potion on your belt, you will automatically drink it when your health gets low, and a catfall if you're falling from a height that would hurt etc.
                            Guards should then have to use keys like thieves do, unless they have the key on the belt.
                            ]V[]V[

Comment

Working...
                            X