ThieveryObjects: Extra Interactivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThieveryObjects: Extra Interactivity

This is more becoming a pet project of mine (to think up alternate uses for ThieveryObjects and then ponder over how to code them) than something that will be judged as high priority in the Thievery universe.

Does anyone else around here wish you could do slightly more with all those ThieveryObjects that you find in levels? If you don't see what I'm getting at, follow these examples:

-Sword: It's all very nice having rich noblemen that display swords on their walls, along with other weaponry. But shouldn't thieves be able to take these weapons off the wall and use them? (Note: I have already kindof implemented this )

-Crates: OK, you can carry them and block doors with them, woohoo! But wouldn't it be kindof cool if you could hide objects or even bodies in them? Maybe thieves could even hide in them, with a considerable change in crate-mass so that guards would suddenly wonder why the crate would be so heavy to carry.

-Kitchen Utensils: If you can pick up knives/cleavers in the kitchen, shouldn't you be able to throw them at people (If you're co-ordinated enough to use a bow, you're co-ordinated enough to throw a knife). And I guess this will ruin this entire thread's credibility, but I wouldn't mind a comedy situation where you can hit players over the head with frying pans (could work the same as a blackjack)?

-Hammers/Tools: If guards can repair stuff, with just a hammer and spanner, shouldn't they be able to repair stuff with those odd hammers that you occassionaly find (like in the store-rooms in Breakout)?

-Wine bottles: Alcohol is flammable; so if you smash a in bottle onto a surface shouldn't it catch fire easily?

-Beakers: Erm, OK I don't know what you could do with a beaker (in Thievery), but there must be some possible use for them?

What I'm getting at, is a most realistic environment in which Thievery occurs. Player should not only consider the layout of the level, but where they could find certain resources that may aid them in the long run.

I've been considering a mutator that could replace any of these objects with their more interactive subclasses (only considering it though, not actually implementing currently). Perhaps an extra keybind would be handy (ie. Interact), so when you are holding a ThieveryObject you can try to manipulate it for some kind of extra use.

I suspect that people may be more receptive to this idea than many of my previous ideas. Fingers x-ed.

So what do you think? Can you think of any other serious uses for ThieveryObjects?

WHAT!

NEVER! Say crates can only be used carry around and block doors! NEVER!
    They are the most usefull object in the whole game! There's not the thing you can't do with a few crates.
    You already can hide objects and bodies under crates! If used correctly you can kill thieves! And they give you access to new areas of most maps that can prove rather usefull!!! Not to mention cratesurfing!

So dont you ever never ever again say anything bad about crates....

Comment

Beakers you could throw, they break and spawn a crack cloud.
      Wine could explode when thrown on torch actors.
      Bread dough could change into a bread loaf when placed or held over a torch actor.
      "eating" a Sugar Jar could give you speed for 5 seconds
      Hitting someone with a breakable (glass mugs, potion bottles, etc) damages someone for 5 hp.
      Pushbrooms could erase any decal (blood, watermarks) you walk over while carrying them.

This would make an awesome mutator (especially for Thiefmatch)! I've been wanting that hiding in crates thing for a long time.
      (AKA Dresden)
      Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Spoiled food or "bad" mushrooms could give the taker a crack effect for a bit.
        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
        "Dream is Destiny"
        Waking Life

Comment

A concern about this idea, though: How much processing power is it going to take up? Even just throwing crates around now creates some lag on online servers. If everything becomes more interactive, with some use, it could create some huge problems.

In any event, I'd prefer to see each item done as a separate mutator, so that one could select which mutators to run, rather than as one big mutator, modifying everything at once, or nothing at all. Either that, or as one mutator with the option of enabling specific items.

Comment

First of all, wine contains far to little alcohol to burn, so that'd just be weird. Winebottles should just break when thrown. Or douse a torch/burning player when you throw them on one. Also, wine should leave a red liquid stain with similar effects as a patch of blood.

Breakable stuff should damage players (if just a little), so you can kill a thief with his own invis. potions.

Maybe even have a shard or two remain as 'caltrops' that slow down both guards and thieves.

Players/bots should be killable/KOable by dropping heavy stuff (crates) on them from 'Mario height'.

Bottles that are thrown in water become water-bottles. Which go into the inventory and can be used to douse a flame or ones self if he's burning.

Dr. pepper cans are Potions that randomly gives a player one of the following effects when used:

- 5 seconds of speed.
            - 15 life
            - 10 seconds of catfall
            - 5 seconds of invis (guards also!)
            - 5 seconds of strenght (allways use charged hits when performing a normal attack)

After the effect wears of, the user leaves a burp of relief. [/list]

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
              Players/bots should be killable/KOable by dropping heavy stuff (crates) on them from 'Mario height'.
              Yeah... Builder Style. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                A concern about this idea, though: How much processing power is it going to take up? Even just throwing crates around now creates some lag on online servers. If everything becomes more interactive, with some use, it could create some huge problems.

In any event, I'd prefer to see each item done as a separate mutator, so that one could select which mutators to run, rather than as one big mutator, modifying everything at once, or nothing at all. Either that, or as one mutator with the option of enabling specific items.
                Firstly, I've never personally experienced much lag when interacting with objects, but my connection is pretty awful whatever I do online, so thanks for bringing me up to speed on that one.

There is no reason why making each replacement optional should be execptionally difficult, you'd have to change the values directly in the .ini file though. One mutator would be definately better than lots of little mutators, my mute list is pretty huge as it currently is.

Comment

Dr. pepper cans are Potions that randomly gives a player one of the following effects when used:

- 5 seconds of speed.
                  - 15 life
                  - 10 seconds of catfall
                  - 5 seconds of strenght (allways use charged hits when performing a normal attack)

After the effect wears of, the user leaves a burp of relief.
                  Hmm, so players have a potion, but they dont know what it does till they use it?

Not an idea I agree with, since you would require most of the above effects in different situations.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan

- 5 seconds of speed.
                    - 15 life
                    - 10 seconds of catfall

Hmm, so players have a potion, but they dont know what it does till they use it?

Not an idea I agree with, since you would require most of the above effects in different situations.
                    Could be usefull as a last resort though, or just a quirk item as which it was intended (but still potentially usefull)

*Thief trying to run away from guard*

Please please INVIS! SPEED! *glub*

WTF?! CATFALL?!?!

Comment

The big dr. pepper in grange would be a killer...

Comment

- 5 seconds of speed.
                        - 15 life
                        - 10 seconds of catfall

Oh no you don't, I already have plans for Dr. P :twisted: .

And LR, ever seen these pieces of original scripts?

[code:1:2d2cc903aa]//================================================== ===========================
                        // ThFunNoodleCup. Extra stuff to screw over the dial-up users.
                        //================================================== ===========================
                        class ThFunNoodleCup expands ThObjectFun;[/code:1:2d2cc903aa]and
                        [code:1:2d2cc903aa]//================================================== ===========================
                        // ThFunPibbCan. Well, now it's a Dr. P can, but what can you do?
                        //================================================== ===========================
                        class ThFunPibbCan expands ThObjectFun;

// * Dalai whistles innocently
                        // You are evil Dalai.
                        // * Jered adds comments but doesn't change anything.[/code:1:2d2cc903aa]

PS: Shouldn't this forum have some kindofa scripting board?

PPS: Dan, care to send me a few of your mutator scripts? For some reason I can't get mine to work, and seeing how others have done it helps a lot.
                        ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by NeoPendragon
                          Beakers you could throw, they break and spawn a crack cloud.
                          Beakers 'o grog!

Wine could explode when thrown on torch actors.
                          Brandy and flares make good molotovs.

"eating" a Sugar Jar could give you speed for 5 seconds
                          But I'm already using them to hide invis potions...
                          ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                            PPS: Dan, care to send me a few of your mutator scripts? For some reason I can't get mine to work, and seeing how others have done it helps a lot.
                            You can't get them to work altogether, or you can't add them to your game?

I don't mind looking over a mute script if you can't get it to work, I haven't got much to share at the moment since I've only just started scripting mine (I'm very fussy about not showing people my work till I'm happy with it).

Comment

I can add the mutators, but they don't do what I want them to do. I think most of my code should be ok, but I'm not so sure about triggering a function upon initialisation part... here's one piece of code:
                              [code:1:597b56737b]//================================================== ===========================
                              // MDrP2DrG.
                              class MDrP2DrG expands Mutator;

var bool Initialized;

function PostBeginPlay() // Is there maybe some sorta BeginPlay function I could use instead?
                              {
                              local ThFunPibbCan A;

if (Initialized) // This is stolen from the ChaosUT main mutator
                              return;
                              Initialized = True;

foreach AllActors(class'ThFunPibbCan', A) // Should search for Dr. P cans
                              {
                              ReplaceWith(a, "DrExplosive.ThPickupDrGrenade"); // And replace them with DrGrenades
                              }
                              }
                              [/code:1:597b56737b]

When I start up grange with this mutator on, the Dr. P cans are still Dr. P cans.
                              Hmm, I think I'll have to insert a few debug messages here...you know any good method for that?

[edit] How strange, suddenly it is working! Well, no need to fix this code then.
                              ]V[]V[

Comment

Working...
                              X