Building meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building meshes

It'd be great if someone would create some genaric buildings, towers, windmill, and water wheel meshes, etc for use outside traversable level areas. They did this a lot in thief 2 (around the Bank and the cathedral in Evesdropping) to bump up the realism easily.
    (AKA Dresden)
    Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

i'm in :grin: got nothing much else to do....is this a suggestion for the game in general? or for say...a map you are making?

Comment

The game in general. It'd probobly look best if you made the building in UED first, exported it as a prefab and used MeshMaker to convert it into a mesh .u file. That's what I've thought about doing.
      (AKA Dresden)

Comment

Wow, this is a really good idea. My skyboxes suck.

Comment

I don't really think this would work for skyboxes.

Okay, I've tested this out. Made a windmill with matching fan prefabs, converted them to meshes with MeshMaker, and imported them to my level. They look like shit in UED but they acually look pretty good in-game, as long as you put it some place the player can't go (like behind the perimeter wall of a mansion's yard, etc. The impact on framerate wasn't noticable. And using the windmill fan as a mesh is very effecient since you can just set a mesh to rotate insted of using a BSP based mover.

So in closing:

Pros: Low poly mesh buildings don't impact framerates much at all. Good building meshes can increase a level's realism greatly.

Cons: Can only use them where players can't get to without making them look bad. Vertex lighting makes them look strange. You have to enable bSpecialLit to avoid them being lit. Most maps are at night anyway, right? Have to also enable bAlwaysRelevent too so they don't instantly dissapear out of the corner of your veiw. You're also limited to 8 different textures on them.
          (AKA Dresden)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoPendragon
            I don't really think this would work for skyboxes.
            No, I mean I could use it as an alternative to trying to create a realistic skybox; just using a plain skybox with stars instead, with some buildings to mask part of the sky.

Comment

Ahhh yeah. Interesting idea.
              (AKA Dresden)

Comment

Working...
              X