Mountable UnrealI.Searchlight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountable UnrealI.Searchlight...

Maybe this is not very good idea, but anyways...

Mappers will have a Searchlight available to them to put on towers or walls. Person that is operating such spotlight can only rotate, it not move it around. While he's doing this his both hands are used, so he cannot use any weapons/potions until he'll turns the spotlight off...

Maybe we can have some "warm-up" time. During this time (3-5 sec) the spotlight is working 1/2 power.

+ : Well, you can cover bigger area....
    Usefult for maps like Warehouse

- : Not turned on all the time (only when player did turned it on)
    Not able to move around, and watch your back (fixed angles, like machinegun turret)
    Unable to wach your back because of Warm-up time... (you can, but it defeats the purpose)

What do you think?

Actually, this sounds like fun.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
      Actually, this sounds like fun.
      Really? I thought it sounded like changing the name of the game to "Thief Slaughtery".

Comment

This sounds cool, but I can only see it being done in UT2k3, kinda like it was done in Splinter Cell. You'd have to have some kind of speed limitation on it, and have obstructions for Thieves to duck behind while dodging them. Sounds like fun.
        (AKA Dresden)
        Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
          Really? I thought it sounded like changing the name of the game to "Thief Slaughtery".
          Not if they're on limited places, and have a limited range...

Comment

Exactly, mappers decide where to put 'em. And unlike splinter cell (great game, BTW) they will not move by themselves and be turned on all the time...

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
              Originally posted by LaughingRat
              Not if they're on limited places, and have a limited range...
              Ah. I misunderstood their implementation.

Comment

That sounds pretty cool.
                <makes love to TuT again and again...and again>

Comment

Sounds cool to me too.

Especially for the guards.

:wink:

I don't know 100% what it would mean for the thieves though.
                  "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
                  even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
                  of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

In my vision of this thing guards wil be completely open from behind, so thief could use an Invis to get past covered area and knock the guard out cold... So it would be pretty balanced... Plus more kewl ideas for mappers (like to make Breakout with dark and more extended outside part guarded by people near spotlights) etc...

Comment

Sounds good. It's a mapper's suggestion, not a game suggestion. Really, spotlights aren't worse than the watchers in Breakout. Good stuff.
                      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Fixed spotlights is just what guard need. They really shouldn't have to change buildings into bunkers , it's kind of ridiculous to see thieves charging an objective... imho a thief should be able to take it unnoticed , if guards are careless.

What makes Thievery interesting is the dynamic lighting. Thieves and guards struggle for more shadow or more light. The Spotlight would let guards bust out thieves with ease while being counterable and allowing the mapper to decrease general light level (less permanent lights) so that guards can't just use the map architecture and loadout items to win. They will have to interact with it.

What make spotlights more valuable than whistlers :
                        -dead angles : thieves can hide behind pillars or corners when guards scan shadows (unlike flares which are pretty hard to hide from)
                        -range : thieves can't just snipe from a dark place anymore. With the spotlight , 2 guards can hunt down thieves in outdoor shadows. Lessens camping behavior on both sides.
                        -limited lighting : guards can still direct the spot towards a doorway , but that would be uneffective , as in any Thievery map important rooms have more than 2 entrances. Guards have to move the spot to detect thieves.

Oh , and the spotlight lamp would be dousable and repairable , too.

Comment

Dead angles and more map interaction is what we need. Poor mappers...

Comment

I don't see why if done properly they couldn't move on two axis - perhaps getting less intense the further away form the source - or the cone increasing in diameter. Might not be totally realistic over these short difference - but who cares?

Comment

Working...
                            X