Making it easier for guards to score points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making it easier for guards to score points

I've been playing thievery for less than a week now, but have noticed something in all the multiplayer games I've played; in comparison to the thief, it is MUCH harder to score points as a guard.

EG: One game as a thief I'll clumsily wander around, maybe find a little loot then get clubbed to death by an irrate guard. Just for being a little sneaky I might get 70-80 points and not feel too bad about the whole thing) Next game as a guard I hunt around for thiefs, maybe see one or two but then miss the bugger with my bolts (500 ping, so be leinient ((sp.?)) ). At the end of that game I score... 0.

It's just kinda annoying and somewhat frustrating that it takes more work to score points as a guard, with the exeption of lighting torches.

I'm not talking about any major game changes, but how do these sound?

* Getting a few points for exploring - like with thiefs easy-to-get stealth points, just a few (30ish) points if you don't spend the game camping.

*Sighting thiefs - A hard one to code I'm sure, but maybe if you're flare reveals a thief in hiding.. something like that.

* Taking thieve's items - not their dropped loot, or items, but say: vine arrows. I mean surely if u take that and stop a thief from entering an area (eg Stronghold) its worth some points. Not mant for that one, maybe the same as for relighting a torch.

These are just thoughts, and I'm sure as I get better at the game I'll find it easier to score as a guard, but as it stands I just feel that the whole point scoring thing is a little pro-thief.
    I'd be interested to hear what you think about this.

PT
    You ain't seen me, right!?

Well, do you really care about scores? I, personally, care more about wich team wins, and the final score is just a good addition to that...

Comment

When I play its to win, but while playing in the most rewarding style possible (with the exception of going OTT with BJs - or any other DM tac). At the end of the game I DO look at my score and use it to work out where im going wrong. If I'm a thief and gettin no loot (which also counts towards the winning of a game) then I'll practice on that map to get loot. So yes the score duz matter to me, and in my nooB form I'll keep improving my score at the top of my list, cos winning is a little too hard 4 little me just now. And with points, comes better chance of winning.

But thanks for the comment NS, I just assumed that every1 cared about points (its not a critiscm, just wot I thort)

PT
      You ain't seen me, right!?

Comment

The score system is rather oriented towards thieves, probably because it's rather hard to gauge an individual guard's contribution to the protection of the map.

Comment

yes. in fact, I always do the most work, but always get the lowest guard score

especially in Grange. I deathly injure thieves wiht my traps, and tell other guards where the thieves are, and call AIs to help, but then my kills get stolen.

and ALWAYS by the AI.
          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Grrrr, bloody kill stealing guards.

Hate when i do 200-300 damage in a round without getting a single kill, and the player that stole em gets a better score.

Comment

I hate it when you're being a thief, and a bloody AI decides it's time to deviate from his path and walk RIGHT into you. He doesn't kill you, but you die from a bloody caltrop!
              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Just played grange, and as the guard that dealt the most damage i had dealt out 374 damage... Only 1 kill...
                Mainly due to the thieves running away after i have dealt around 80 points of damage, leaving me flashed or cracked.

Comment

WOW...i've never seen a more incorrect post in my life.

Guards point system is so Fubar'd that sometimes the camper guard gets high score.

Problem 1: Due to Kill stealing teammates, number 1 rating system should be "Damage"

Problem 2: Loot pickup is scored WAY to high. A Guard with no damage but who picked up all the loot will rank higher than a Guard with 3 kills, and 200 damage.

Problem 3: At 25 points a pop, Relight enuff torches and you can sail your way into the top Guard position.

If anything, the point system for the guards is TOO easily scored. They get points much easier than thieves.. which is also why If you DM a match, when the extra 300 points is held back since you didn't win by objectives, Guards usually take a top position.

Sorry..post = FAIL

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                    <snip>

Agreed.
                    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                    "Dream is Destiny"
                    Waking Life

Comment

Is it really kill "stealing"? I know I'd be pretty pissed off if my mate stood by while the thief ran away and/or KOd me. I don't find someone else getting a kill I started overly frustrating; we won as a unit. Individual kills are simply more satisfying. I left the kill-stealing bullshit behind in CS.

However, I agree with Kewl about the damage issue; scoring a measly 350 on a winning team with 90+ damage because you didn't swing the last hit to kill a thief can be a bit annoying, while people that relit two or three torches streak ahead. But two things should be noted - first: damage should only count if inflicted on thieves (rather than a massacre in the pub on bourg), and maybe spiders on certain levels. Second: the damage is noted in the end-game stats, so who cares if you're on top of the scoring list or not? Be satisfied with your bloodlust title.

On a related note; why not make damage dealt by trops and mines count towards your total?
                      Nightmaster,
                      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                      - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

i agree shug... But i think if you get some cool title like bloodlust, that should POP u right up to the top area... damage should only be from "Team 0" not neutrals. And yea, traps should give credit where credit is due and give the points to the person that laid them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shug
                          Is it really kill "stealing"? I know I'd be pretty pissed off if my mate stood by while the thief ran away and/or KOd me. I don't find someone else getting a kill I started overly frustrating; we won as a unit. Individual kills are simply more satisfying. I left the kill-stealing bullshit behind in CS.
                          Ahh, someone with a modicum of sense about TEAM kills.

Why are you all so concerned with personal score, anyway? It's a TEAM game, with a TEAM victory. The personal scores mean nothing, and often the person with the highest individual score is actually the person who contributed least to a TEAM win.

Comment

Welcome to Humanity! Competitive by nature

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                              Welcome to Humanity! Competitive by nature
                              Competetive, sure. But what kind of competition is it when the scores are already admittedly meaningless? If you have the highest meaningless score, have you really won anything?

Or is this just a "my number is bigger than yours" argument?

Comment

Working...
                              X