Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destroyable ThDoors & Breaching Charges

I can see this as being another one of my of unpopular ideas but anyway:

- What if thieves could buy some form of explosive that would permanently destroy a door? Ie. some form of medieval breaching charge

Obviously, it would have to be pretty expensive (since get-the-key objectives could be skipped), but I'm always looking for ways to expand the variety of styles that players can adopt to conquer a match.

Idea For Implementation (Only worth reading if you're a scripter or mapper):
    I figured that this could be achieved if ThDoor movers had three keyframes (open/closed/destroyed), as opposed to the normal two keyframes (open/closed). When a ThDoor receives explosion based-damage, a check will be performed to see if the door is destroyed. If the door is destroyed, some wall/door fragments are thwon out from the door location and then the door is moved to it's "destroyed" keyframe, which would probably be in some area of space outside the map. When the door is in space, it can't be accessed so mappers don't need to worry about the door being frobbed any more. The third keyframe could automatically be set to the corner of the UED map grid so that mappers don't have to spend time manually placing the third keyframe outside of the map.

So go on guys (& gals), tell me what you think?

Spiders exit doors???
    hehe.... this is a sig no?

Comment

Hmmmm. I think this could work but itl be hard to get the thing right.
      I think some maps need the key aspect and the whole bomb idea cud ruin it... but on some others it could work as a plus. Perhaps some metal doors cud be immune or summat to add an even greater (not much greater mind) depth.

Also, rather than buying how about one thief starts with the device, similar to the supply crate for guards.

PS dan, not many ppl like my ideas too :-(

PT
      You ain't seen me, right!?

Comment

Originally posted by Kain
        Spiders exit doors???
        Firstly, I don't think they are actually ThDoors, so they wouldn't be affected

Secondly, I wasn't planning on the charges being something that you could just pop down and detonate within a few seconds. Let's say that it takes a thief 10 to 20 seconds to arm the charge, and another 10 seconds for the timer to count down on the charge. The thief should be fully visible while arming the charge, and can't move (I'm not saying that the thief should be paralysed while arming it, but moving should cancel the arming process, requiring it to be started again from scratch).

There, I've theoretically balanced it out a tiny bit.

Originally posted by Plumsie_taker
        Also, rather than buying how about one thief starts with the device, similar to the supply crate for guards.
        I'm dubious about this sort of inventory assignment. Who's to say that the charge won't be given to a ghoster?

I was expecting the charge to cost 200 to 300ish (with a limit of 1 per thief). If players buy a charge, then they will be severing limiting the amount of equipment they have to deal with other situations (like getting caught). Remember, just because they can destroy a door, they aren't guaranteed victory and so still need to complete objectives with their limited remaining inventory. It's a case of "Should I risk it buying a charge, or should I risk it going for the key?"

Comment

More like 400-500 each...
          The only constant is change.
          (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Not THAT much CD, that leaves them with no money at all.

And okay, lets suppose its given 2 a ghoster at the start, like the supply crate can be dropped, the device should be able to be dropped 2. Most ghosters I kno arent about to just run off and leave the rest of their team without summat. So they cud give it 2 them... then.... heres my inovative bit.... wen its dropped u use lockpicks to arm it. Im guessin that'll make code easier, mean buying it will be forced to be cheaper (due to 100 price 4 lockpick) or require teamwork.

PT
            You ain't seen me, right!?

Comment

And okay, lets suppose its given 2 a ghoster at the start, like the supply crate can be dropped, the device should be able to be dropped 2. Most ghosters I kno arent about to just run off and leave the rest of their team without summat..
              Yeah, but its kind of awkward being given something that certain players didnt want in the first place, especially if theyv got to spend time hiding it from the guards (eg. guards occassionaly pass throught the spawn area of Gerome and so could accdientally find it)

So they cud give it 2 them... then.... heres my inovative bit.... wen its dropped u use lockpicks to arm it. Im guessin that'll make code easier, mean buying it will be forced to be cheaper (due to 100 price 4 lockpick) or require teamwork.
              Hmm, lockpicking the device to arm it, is quite a nice idea. Although, I'd suggest a longer arming time in this case, otherwise several thieves could lockpick it at once and arm it in a few seconds. & lockpicking doesn't reset if you abandon it halfway, so thieves could nip out and a do a few seconds at a time.

(Note: I'm not planning on scripting this one currently because it requires modified ThDoors, & I can't see any easy way of achieving that with a mutator)

Comment

::Grabs Gun::

::Begins to shoot Dans idea out the sky::

No, actually whilst i'm not to keen on the Breaching Charges idea in THIS game. However, I DO like the idea of destructable doors, Either by mines placed next to them or simply through pure bashing.

They should take quite a bit, like 2 mines, give them about 150 health or something.

I can see the advantages of it, because sometimes it would be helpful to remove a door perminantly, example : Gerome, this way thieves could gulp an invis and run in without opening a door, which in turn would attract the guards attention and invoke a mass of slashing and blocking.

EDIT : PLUS, if mappers truely don't want a specific door destroyed then make it metal, and have the destroyed element either choosable (is that a word???) or only applying to wooden doors.

:uts gun down::

::Regrets actions::

??? WTF, i have no feelings! I'm a damn Machine! ???
                ~TuF~

Comment

ThDoor already has all you need:

[code:1:d00f5a9fbf]event TakeDamage( int Damage, Pawn EventInstigator, vector HitLocation, vector Momentum, name DamageType) {
                  local Actor chip;
                  local int i;
                  local vector NewDoorLocation;

if (DoorStrength>0) {
                  for(i=0; i<4; i++) {
                  chip = Spawn(DoorChipClass, , , HitLocation);
                  if(chip != None) {
                  chip.Velocity = VRand() * (FRand() * 100 + 50);
                  chip.DrawScale = 0.15;
                  }
                  }
                  }

if ((Damage>=MinimumDamage) && (DoorStrength>0)) {

DoorStrength-=Damage;
                  TMakeNoise(5, EventInstigator);
                  if (DoorStrength<=0) {
                  DoorStrength=0;
                  bDoorBroken=true;
                  bLocked=false;
                  bPickable=false;
                  keyTag="BrokenDoorUnlockable";
                  lockPickCount=lockDifficulty;
                  OpenDoor(EventInstigator);
                  Spawn(class'ThWoodFragments', , , HitLocation);
                  for (i=0;i<10;i++) {
                  Spawn(class'ThWoodFragments', , , Location+VRand()*20);
                  }
                  //destroy(); // doesn't work, use a move hack instead//
                  }
                  }

switch (HitSound) {
                  case HS_Wood:
                  PlaySound(sound'ThieveryData.HitWood2');
                  break;
                  case HS_WoodMetal:
                  PlaySound(sound'ThieveryData.BigWdMetal');
                  break;
                  case HS_Metal:
                  PlaySound(sound'ThieveryData.HitMetal');
                  break;
                  case HS_Custom:
                  PlaySound(CustomHitSound);
                  break;
                  case HS_None:
                  break;
                  }
                  }[/code:1:d00f5a9fbf]

We'd probably have to update/make new maps though, as just about every door I've seen has a DoorStrength of 0.
                  ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
                    EDIT : PLUS, if mappers truely don't want a specific door destroyed then make it metal, and have the destroyed element either choosable (is that a word???) or only applying to wooden doors.
                    I think it's "choiceifiable", actually.

Comment

MM, the current ThDoor code just causes the door to open upon receiving damage. I'd like to destroy it completely (or at least give the effect that the door has been destroyed).

This would require a change of tactics from both sides, since snipers could then shoot throught the doorway, & traps in the doorway would become obvious.

I reckon a third keyframe is definately the way to go about this.

Comment

I mean, ThDoor has all you need to get started. All you'll you'll have to figure out is the move hack.
                        ]V[]V[

Comment

Working...
                        X