Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-cam view

OK, I was just talking about this on MSN and I figured:

Wouldn't be great if you could spec several players at once? That way, you would be less likely to miss the action or something interesting happening.

I was thinking you could have four seperate windows, showing:
    -The leading thief player
    -The leading guard player
    -Action view (jumps to any players that are in combat)
    -Objective view

Alternatively, players could choose what players to view in each window.

I wouldn't have the slightest clue to go about implementing this one, although there is a UT mute that allows you to use the translocator as a remote camera (shown in a smaller window in the corner of the screen). Perhaps, some code could be stolen from that.

4 windows that you click on to change objective or Player by clicking...

GREAT!!!
    hehe.... this is a sig no?

Comment

Neat idea, but I'm guessing a major change to the basic game engine?

You could simulate this some, though, by having multiple machines with the game running. Only problem is, each "view" you have up requires a player spot on the server.

Hmm....

Comment

Having four views on the screen at one time would cause there to be four times as many actors, which could possibly divide the framerate by four... (Not that thats a problem for me... )

This is a great idea, assuming we can work around the issues...
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

That is a really cool idea. My computer isn't great but it could handle more than one view at a time. If it's possible, I'd be for it.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
            Neat idea, but I'm guessing a major change to the basic game engine?
            Yes, I think you'd have to change native code to add viewports.

Besides, I don't want people learning my trick four times as fast, it's bad enough as it is.
            ]V[]V[

Comment

This is possible, with the function Canvas.DrawPortal (int X, int Y, int Width, int Height, Actor CamActor, vector CamLocation, rotator CamRotation, optional int FOV, optional bool ClearZ). DrawPortal views don't show coronas or particles though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalai
                This is possible, with the function Canvas.DrawPortal (int X, int Y, int Width, int Height, Actor CamActor, vector CamLocation, rotator CamRotation, optional int FOV, optional bool ClearZ). DrawPortal views don't show coronas or particles though.
                I take this as a "I'll try it out" Answer

Comment

I'm not gonna try it out, a mutator could probably do it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalai

This sounds lika a doctors awnser...
                    hehe.... this is a sig no?

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                      Having four views on the screen at one time would cause there to be four times as many actors, which could possibly divide the framerate by four... (Not that thats a problem for me... )

This is a great idea, assuming we can work around the issues...
                      Not quite. Bare in mind that each of these screens will be rendered in a viewport that is a quarter of it's normal size (ie. smaller than usual resolution to be rendered for each viewport), and so considerable less processor time is required to render one, compared to a normal viewport.

I'd expect there to be a slight lag increase, but definately not 4X

Comment

Sounds like a great idea...

But is anyone willing to work on it? And also, how much more memory would it take? I don't know if some of these peoples computers could handle it...
                        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                        "Dream is Destiny"
                        Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
                          I'd expect there to be a slight lag increase, but definately not 4X
                          There's one way to test it: Make a server with an empty map, and see what pings a client gets. Then switch to a normal map like gerome, and check the client ping there too. Substract the client ping of the empty map from the client ping of gerome, then multiply by 4, and finally add the ping of the empty map. If I'm not much mistaken, the result is approximately the ping that the client is going to get on gerome if he has four spectator cams.
                          ]V[]V[

Comment

In this thread, by lag I presume people mean low fps rather than actual network lag.

Comment

Well, I was talking about network lag.
                              ]V[]V[

Comment

Working...
                              X