Keyhole peeking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyhole peeking...

Just like in Hitman 2 where you are able to take a look on what's going on at the other side of the door... Limited FOV and no rotation of course...

Sometimes I just want to be sure that there's no guards before I open something...

Been brought up before. Good idea, and something I'd like to see.
    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
    "Dream is Destiny"
    Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
      Been brought up before.
      Thought so, it's not as original, but I think that it is very useful...

Comment

Originally posted by Netspider
        Sometimes I just want to be sure that there's no guards before I open something...
        It was called the lean bug, fortunatly it was removed.

Comment

Still works through windows like in the master's house in DE.

Comment

It should be re-introduced as a feature. But it a normal way (maybe something like looking through a scope in a mil-sim). Maybe doors like in Aquatone will not work like this because they are opened using buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
              Been brought up before. Good idea, and something I'd like to see.
              Likewise.

THIS IS POST NUMBER 500 FOR ME
              "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
              even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
              of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

It's be a lot like the scouting orb, so not too hard to work with (I know nothing about scripting unless I havea base, and an orb would work well as a frob+look thing.)

THat's a hint for all u top dudes in the thieverymakingness.
                "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

If there are any scripters out there that REALLY like this idea, then they might find this useful.
                  I've done all of the thinking (the hard part), it just needs translating into code (the time-consuming part), and debugging (the part that normally gets skipped anyway; for more reference, see "MicroSoft").

Potential Implementation:

Have a seperate camera (viewpoint) floating infront of the player. This camera can't be at a fixed relative distance because some mappers feel the need to have different thickness doors :| .

Anyway, when tthe player presses their "Look through keyhole" button, a short trace is done directly infront of the layer to see if they are standing infront of a ThDoor (& note how far infront of the player the ThDoor is, call this variable X). If a ThDoor is found then carry on the trace through the door, to determine how far must be travelled before the empty space on other side of the door is reached (ie. the door's thickness, which we'll call Y).

Then we place the camera at (X + Y) units infront of the player, perhaps with a modified HUD to show a keyhole shape, and be ready to return to normal view when the player releases the corresponding button.

I've been brief about the process for changing the player's current viewport/viewpoint/camera/whatever because that code is already contained in the Scouting Orb and so can be used from there.

Comment

Or maybe an option to look UNDER the door, just like in Splinter Cell?
                    JM

Comment

i don't like the idea ...just another unneed idea that you people seem to be spewing uncontrolably .....is it really that big of a deal that you need to see through the key hole...if you want to know if someone is there...stop moving...hide in the shadows...and LISTEN you hear footsteps chances are that Means SOMEONE is there....

Comment

Except if they are standing still.

Movers make thieves too obvious, no matter how stealthy you are you can't hide a huge clunking door opening. But we should at least be able to decide whether we can get away with the huge clunking door opening, without getting pulverised.

Comment

Originally posted by Yenzarill
                          Except if they are standing still.

Movers make thieves too obvious, no matter how stealthy you are you can't hide a huge clunking door opening. But we should at least be able to decide whether we can get away with the huge clunking door opening, without getting pulverised.
                          your post is confusing...what do you mean by movers? and who said anything about hiding a door opening? i thought this was about looking thru keyholes. ooooo you mean the SOUND it makes....ok...hmm so you are saying even if you are really stealthy it won't matter cause the door is loud......Again....listen for people.....if they are AI they ARE going to be patrolling...and if they are Human....No Human guard is going to stay in one play for more then a minute waiting to see if a thief comes thru that 1 door....i know only of a few extremly loud doors and those are all located on Theatre...All it comes down to is people needing to learn to be more cautious...and quit trying to rush thru it...what's so bad about staking out and waiting for the right chance to move in

Comment

Originally posted by Errblah
                            your post is confusing...

what do you mean by movers?
                            Doors, windows, gates. A "mover" is what they are referred to if you're talking to someone that can make maps... a mover is any brush that moves.(a brush is any "chunk of matter"[or a chunk of air, in the case of subtractive brushes{but that is irrelevant when talking about movers[I won't go into semi-solids :? (sorry if i sound condescending, I have no idea if you know anything about UED or not.)]}])
                            To me and other mappers, what "mover" means is obvious ops:.

...and who said anything about hiding a door opening?
                            i thought this was about looking thru keyholes.
                            The whole point of this thread is the idea of being able to see what is on the other side of a door, so you can avoid opening them if it is dangerous. It gives thieves more stealth ability (which i believe is needed to balance the game). The thing is, you can hide in shadows. You can walk down dark corridor right under the nose of a human guard, and not be seen. Open a door, and BAM they know where you are. Movers are clunky and obvious.

ooooo you mean the SOUND it makes....ok...hmm so you are saying even if you are really stealthy it won't matter cause the door is loud
                            Even if a guard isn't watching a door to see when it opens, they can hear them for a large radius. To fix this, thieves need to be able to tell what is on the other side of a door. Now, normally you could listen. But it quite a common, and effective, tactic for guards to sit, silently, watching a door. NO MATTER HOW CAREFUL a thief is being, they open the door, and (A) The guard KNOWS there is a thief there. (B) Other guards in the area hear the door, screams, and see the other guard spamming "OMG THEIF HERreee!!1". Anyone that ghosts will tell you doors can be a pain.

......Again....listen for people.....if they are AI they ARE going to be patrolling...and if they are Human....No Human guard is going to stay in one play for more then a minute waiting to see if a thief comes thru that 1 door
                            But they DO. Can you imagine one guard sitting silently on each door to a building the thieves must enter? Not impossible, but very hard, and certainly impossible to crack without either a lapse in the guards vigil, or some kind of rush/DM/distraction. Back in the RLF's golden days, you'd know what i meant.

i know only of a few extremly loud doors and those are all located on Theatre.
                            Every door in the game is loud. You can't open doors silently, and therefore the make a sound, therefore you are heard. There is NO grey area when you're playing against human guards.

All it comes down to is people needing to learn to be more cautious...and quit trying to rush thru it...what's so bad about staking out and waiting for the right chance to move in
                            Yes, there are a lot of thief players that could tke a lesson in patience. (myself included).

Comment

In Thief II, you could put your head at a door to hear even better what lies behind it. That´s something I would like to see in TUT.

Comment

Working...
                              X