Strange Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Bug

A little while ago I was in a game, Darkened Enlightenment. I was a thief, and I was in the garden arch area. I mantled up onto the raised grass area (very small mantle) and a guard nearby said that he could hear me. There was no one else in the server at the time. I mantled all around him to test it out, and he said he could hear it each time.

When he mantled, I heard nothing.

Is this a bug?

Also, yesterday, in Spiders, I was a guard in the tunnels. I had killed LegalAssassin once already, and when flaring around I noticed that there were lockpicks lying on the ground where he died, which I hadn't picked up. It's just dumb luck that I noticed this. I went along with my business, and soon after I returned to the barracks to guard the key.

About 8 or 9 minutes later, I was standing next to the barracks when I heard the sound of a thief picking up lockpicks. I already had my tag bolt out, so within a split second I shot right where I remembered the lockpicks to be. Sure enough, I had tagged LegalAssassin.

After I killed him, he asked me how I knew he was there, and I told him "I have my sound way up, and I heard you pick up the picks." He replied that he thought picking up items were personal only, and that I shouldn't have been able to hear him pick them up.

So, these bugs I think are related, because they are both (apparently) personal sounds that weren't so personal it seems. I'm not so sure about the lockpicks, I seem to remember always being able to hear others pick them up, but the mantling definetely was strange.

hmm... odd. i think somethin like this was posted earlier but im probably wrong. Maybe you just have good speakers and so did the people that you played against :lol:

Comment

Was it dedicated or listen?

On listen servers you can hear sounds that you can't on dedicated servers such as mantling.
      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

A strange story to relate:

Playing in Stronghold recently (were u there that game dragon?) I began hearing things in the basement ( I was guarding the plans box there). SUre enough, there was a thief jumping around and picking my mines. I obliterated him in a matter of seconds. THen there was 1 thief left. I began hearing things again (falling and hurting sounds, picking noises, screams of agony, explosions, etc.) I called for some backup, and 2 guards came (chalrif and an AI). THey heard nothing. Sneaky saw the thief by the exit, so they went up, but i stayed below to investigate noises. I finally pinpointed them inside a wall, and i went to the other side to find the source. Nothing there. I went back to the other side, and still nothing there. THe sounds continued for the next 5 minutes until the thief was killed. Sure enough: at the exit.

I know I wasn't hearing sounds from across the map (nobody was picking locks at the exit or falling, dying, etc.)

In short: WTF?!?!?!?? same problem as Dragon? a sound actor in the map? a strange bug? I didn't even have my sound up either!

Sorry for any misspellings or long ramblings.
        "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Yeah, that was very weird. I will have to play that map some more and take notice of the sounds.

Comment

i don't know dragon... sounds fishy
            and yes, that was me that heard yu mantling.
            lol its especially easy to hunt you down on your server because you are always mantling and its a very loud noise... perhaps your system config is confused with a different game type because i remember in coop you can hear the mantling of other thieves. if that isnt the case, what salvage said seems to be true. i guess you shouldnt thief on yer own server....

Comment

I've NEVER heard anyone else mantle. I can only hear myself...
              TCO – Retired
              Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

i knew this but i never thought it to be a bug, seems realistic because the lockpicks clank aginst each other making noise and the mantling noise is someone breathing out a little sigh which is normal
                This is my cool sig.

Comment

Sometimes I can hear guards let out a sigh like when you charge up your weapon.

Comment

I guess I'll cover this before Slappy does....

Listen Server or NON-Dedicated servers has a bug that allows you to hear clientside sounds over the server.

Mantling Breath
                    Charging Mace
                    Charging BJ
                    Water Arrows, Decoy Arrows being pulled
                    holding breath under water (this might happen on dedicated servers too)

Original Post is here: http://www.thieveryut.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1168

Comment

But when Katra mantled up, I couldn't hear him at all. We wanted to test it, and he could hear me, but I couldn't hear him!

Comment

Kewl said it was client side, meaning every1 can hear the host but u cant hear others.

Comment

Ahh, alright. That makes sense.

Comment

but I hear guard mantles and charges on my own servers! (as well as others). My thaux.ini (and the ohters) isn't even edited!
                            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                              Mantling Breath
                              Charging Mace
                              Charging BJ
                              Water Arrows, Decoy Arrows being pulled
                              holding breath under water (this might happen on dedicated servers too)
                              Not the sword charging, though?

Comment

Working...
                              X