Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thief prone position.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thief prone position.

    Wouldn't that be a great sneaking element?
    The collision cylinder would be longer, but less shorter. You could hide under things like furniture to get pass the guards (imagine yourself sneaking under that huge table in the Korman rectory while guards are all around).

    Of course, the thief would be slower when in the prone position. It would be of sneaking use only.
    And also, guards would have a harder time hitting the thief with bolts.
    JM

  • #2
    Neato.
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, that one's missing!

      Comment


      • #4
        Absolutely, one of the best suggestions I've heard recently. It could have some balance issues, (can guards get down there as well) but I think the devs could mess around with this idea and implement it in certain spots. I love it.

        Comment


        • #5
          *grins evily* I like. ^_^
          Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

          Comment


          • #6
            Only problem is that collision cylinders cannot be rotated, nor be anything but completely cylindrical. A solution could be to use multiple actors each with their own cylinders. Alternately one could use a small cylinder and do a radius & player facing check upon terrain impact for all weapons.

            But anyway: Thieves should be unable to use weapons and have limited throwing capabilities while prone.
            Also, I dunno if one could ignore collision with certain actors, but it would be cool if you could slip between a guard's legs.
            ]V[]V[

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MortalMonkey
              Also, I dunno if one could ignore collision with certain actors, but it would be cool if you could slip between a guard's legs.
              Really nice. Would be great to counter those damn door-blocking guards.
              The only constant is change.
              (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

              Comment


              • #8
                That'd be kewl...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                  Only problem is that collision cylinders cannot be rotated, nor be anything but completely cylindrical. A solution could be to use multiple actors each with their own cylinders. Alternately one could use a small cylinder and do a radius & player facing check upon terrain impact for all weapons.

                  Also, I dunno if one could ignore collision with certain actors, but it would be cool if you could slip between a guard's legs.
                  Hmm, the sort of collision cylinder method used depends upon what exactly prone-thieves will collide with. ThieveryObjects could do with any extra property that dictates whether a prone thief can go underneath it, that would simplify some of the collision matters.

                  A big YES, to the not colliding with guards because I'm sick of getting caught out by guards walking into me. It is reasonable enough to assume that an agile thief could move about on the floor in order to avoid being trod upon, but would be very vulnerable if lit up.

                  Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                  But anyway: Thieves should be unable to use weapons and have limited throwing capabilities while prone.
                  Thats one place where we start to encounter problems. Going prone has been traditionally used for snipers so that they can get a more steady aim, while remaining small sniper-targets themselves. Prone thieves wouldn't be able to use the bow, because bows have to be held vertically, and so could only really use going prone for slipping past guards/objects.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I forsee one problem might be the odd colision created by a single cylinder; either sticking out either side of the theif, or not covdering the extremes of head or legs.

                    Infiltration managed it with UT, anyone know how? Perhaps three collision cylinders could be created by means of some custom actors that spawn and attach themselves to a prone player?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nachimir
                      I forsee one problem might be the odd colision created by a single cylinder; either sticking out either side of the theif, or not covdering the extremes of head or legs.

                      Infiltration managed it with UT, anyone know how? Perhaps three collision cylinders could be created by means of some custom actors that spawn and attach themselves to a prone player?
                      But these custom actors, when struck by some weapon, would they damage the player?
                      JM

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lurox
                        But these custom actors, when struck by some weapon, would they damage the player?
                        That's the idea, proxy collision cylinders. Of course, I have no idea how viable this is, and it already sounds awfully messy...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nachimir
                          I forsee one problem might be the odd colision created by a single cylinder; either sticking out either side of the theif, or not covdering the extremes of head or legs.

                          Infiltration managed it with UT, anyone know how? Perhaps three collision cylinders could be created by means of some custom actors that spawn and attach themselves to a prone player?
                          Wasn't that just what I said? Maybe I was speaking too complicated...ly...
                          ]V[]V[

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yep good, always hope for that one.
                            As for the cylinder.... does it have to be a cylinder, or can it be stretch in oval. So if it can be resize, it could be : "flat, slim and oval" that would work.
                            [KYO] - Knock You Out

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Best Idea..... This year!

                              no seriously, hope this is implementable.
                              ~TuF~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X