A New Balance System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Balance System

Is it in any way possible for there to be a balance system based on the previous game's scores? the ones with the highest score get first choice, while the ones with the lowest get bumped down?

This is the most fair way that I can think of.... some feedback? devs?
    Good
    0%
    Bad
    0%
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Originally posted by Radamanthus
    Is it in any way possible for there to be a balance system based on the previous game's scores? the ones with the highest score get first choice, while the ones with the lowest get bumped down?

This is the most fair way that I can think of.... some feedback? devs?
    Why is it fair that the best players always get their pick of team? Makes no sense at all. You'd mostly end up with games of skilled players playing thief, and less skilled players guarding, all the time, and the quality of play would suffer greatly overall.

That's not even mentioning that score is no indication of how much a given player contributed to his team's victory.

Comment

True, i do give you that point, but there are those who play guard all the time by choice.

Then again, it helps the unskilled players learn how to be more skilled.
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

True, i do give you that point, but there are those who play guard all the time by choice.
        There are about three of those left. If that.

Then again, it helps the unskilled players learn how to be more skilled.
        You're going to have to explain that one to me. How does it help a new player learn to be a more skillful thief, if he's always forced to play guard?

Most people come to this game to play a Thief-type game against human opponents. It's going to drive new players away if they never get to play as a thief, because they don't have the highest score. That's not a good thing for a game community that's already so small. I simply can't see a score based balance system being good for the game AT ALL. I think, instead, many players would find it incredibly frustrating.

Another point: It would degrade teamwork. Each player would be trying to get the highest score so they can choose their team next round, rather than focussing on a TEAM win, which sometimes requires a player to do things that result in a low score.

Comment

I agree with LR. Basing teams on score is a bad idea. It restricts new players from being able to experince the game in the way it should be. Forcing them to stay on the same team is a bad idea. I mean, come one, would you like to guard against Me, Agg, DB, KAM, and GS all the time? No way.
          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
          "Dream is Destiny"
          Waking Life

Comment

fail
            On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

Nice post. We don't even know what failed. :roll:
              "Dream is Destiny"
              Waking Life

Comment

yes... FAIL..entire idea..

new team priority idea needs to be based on how long a player is on a team. The longer you are guard...the more priority you have of being thief next game. plus going back to 1.2 balance since this game weighs heavier on the thief side.

Comment

WEll then. you could rephrase it this way:

Team balance should be based on a player's time on a particualer team. As the clock counts down during gametime, the player's team time goes up. THe ones wiht the highest team time switch to the opposite team.

One problem: short games.

Wht do you do when I beat Nostalgia in 45 seconds?

I like your idea better.

Comment

Players with the exact same time get randomized on the next map, but no map is 45 secs.. quickest time is 3 min on nostalgia.

Comment

true eough, in multiplayer.

I wonder who voted yes?

Comment

The thread poster...

Where is the "You're an idiot" choise?

Originally posted by Curunir
                        I agree with LR. Basing teams on score is a bad idea. It restricts new players from being able to experince the game in the way it should be. Forcing them to stay on the same team is a bad idea. I mean, come one, would you like to guard against Me, Agg, DB, KAM, and GS all the time? No way.

The n00bs whold get really good on guarding...
                        hehe.... this is a sig no?

Comment

ACtually, I would love guarding againt you.

I didn't post. I'm not about to spoil pure results.

Comment

I didn't post either. And yes, Kain, it would force the n00bs to get good at guarding, but wouldn't stand a chance when it comes to thieving.
                            "Dream is Destiny"
                            Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                              Players with the exact same time get randomized on the next map, but no map is 45 secs.. quickest time is 3 min on nostalgia.
                              Whose "quickest time" is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X