Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spy orbs and Poison bolts.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spy orbs and Poison bolts.

    In short:

    Spy orbs:
    Same spying orbs we have now, but they'd get an extra function. When you throw them on a AI/player guard, you can see their location on the map (if there is one) just like you can see your teammates locations. This would last until the player that is spied upon is KO'd or killed.
    Cost would be upped to 25 banked loot. The Spy orb is lost when you throw it on the guard.

    Poison bolt:
    Advanced version of the paralyse bolt. The poison bolt stuns it victim for the same time as a caltrop (1 second) but keeps doing damage after the initial hit (like firebolt, but without the fire). The 'poison' effect would stop after the vitim has taken 50 points of damage or until the victim swallows a health potion.
    Cost: 60 banked loot

  • #2
    Originally posted by -=V12US=-
    In short:

    Poison bolt:
    Advanced version of the paralyse bolt. The poison bolt stuns it victim for the same time as a caltrop (1 second) but keeps doing damage after the initial hit (like firebolt, but without the fire). The 'poison' effect would stop after the vitim has taken 50 points of damage or until the victim swallows a health potion.
    Cost: 60 banked loot
    I had this idea for poisonous spider bites, i said that spiders shouldn't be able to kill you faster than a guard and that they should just be small 1 drop bites but leave poison in you that slowly kills you.... my idea was rejected ... good luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by -=V12US=-
      Spy orbs:
      Same spying orbs we have now, but they'd get an extra function. When you throw them on a AI/player guard, you can see their location on the map (if there is one) just like you can see your teammates locations. This would last until the player that is spied upon is KO'd or killed.
      Cost would be upped to 25 banked loot. The Spy orb is lost when you throw it on the guard.
      Now this is interesting, but as is the tradition here, I'm going to suggest something slightly different.

      Leave the scouting orb's funtion exactly as is, but allow one thrown at a guard to "stick". Then as long as you continue looking through it, you get to see everything from that guards point of view, first person. Effect is cancelled when you leave orb view, and the orb is lost, of course. Wouldn't require a different object, and the cost could remain the same.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hmm... How exactly would they "stick"? Should the guards all don velcro armor? I think they'd kind of notice a tennis ball-sized object stuck to their backsides.

        "Hey Benny is that a tribble on you or are you just happy to see me?"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Oie
          Hmm... How exactly would they "stick"? Should the guards all don velcro armor?
          Unreal pixie dust. How do scouting orbs work at all? How do parabolts paralyze instantly? How do thieves go invisible in shadow, or in light with a potion. It's an unreal game (pun intended).

          Originally posted by Oie
          Should the guards all don velcro armor? I think they'd kind of notice a tennis ball-sized object stuck to their backsides.
          Why? They don't notice them lying on the ground right in front of them now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Splinter Cell Sticky Cams..

            Comment


            • #7
              I like the idea, but would it not be memory or lag consuming?
              Feel the power of the

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Antero90
                I like the idea, but would it not be memory or lag consuming?
                Why? All you're doing is allowing one player to spectate another, much like a player who selects "Spectate" at the beginning of a round does. Difference is, this spectator is on one of the teams playing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Basically its just like in UT where u could see your teammates views, and some hacks let you see your opponent view.. this would be a scripted hack.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    suggested your idea before kewl, not in public though ... ah well.
                    I like lr's version even better ..... it's very cool and will be limited by the same options as the orb. The one time usable orb. ( unless you trow it again )
                    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

                    Call 0900-PHAE

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A more valid (& easier to script approach) for the spy orb things, would be to just a have a plain old bug that shows up on the map and reports it's location whenever it changes zones. Since, it would only have to report location, it doesn't have to be like a scouting orb and so can be more discrete.

                      Being able to see from a guards POV wouldn't be that much more useful, and would make for some fiddly scripting.

                      I'd happily pay 25 loot for the chance to bug certain human guards, so that I can keep tabs on where they are. Note: If you bug an AI, then he gets taken over by a human, then it is only fair that the human is bugged.

                      Also, this would promote less DM behaviour in thieves, for me anyway, since I tend to take vulnerable guards out because I worry about bumping into them later. If I know where they are gonna be, then theres less of a reason to eliminate them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The_Dan
                        A more valid (& easier to script approach) for the spy orb things, would be to just a have a plain old bug that shows up on the map and reports it's location whenever it changes zones. Since, it would only have to report location, it doesn't have to be like a scouting orb and so can be more discrete.
                        Yeah, but doing it with scouting orbs doesn't require a new item be added to the game, it just expands the use of an existing item. Doesn't steepen the learning curve so much that way.

                        Originally posted by The_Dan
                        Being able to see from a guards POV wouldn't be that much more useful, and would make for some fiddly scripting.
                        Here's where I disagree. If you can see from a guard's view, and know the map, you not only know where he is, but you can see what he sees, other AI, trap placement, etc. Things a normal scouting orb would show you, but delivered in such a way that it can get where you wouldn't normally be able to throw an orb. For the price of losing the orb, of course.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LaughingRat
                          Originally posted by Antero90
                          I like the idea, but would it not be memory or lag consuming?
                          Why? All you're doing is allowing one player to spectate another, much like a player who selects "Spectate" at the beginning of a round does. Difference is, this spectator is on one of the teams playing.
                          I just mentioned it because spectating on same large areas like Korman I get some slowdowns (ok its my comp i admit it :roll: )
                          Er... so im assuming you get the chance of rotating the camera just like in normal spectating (best option IMO) or a fixed view (not my choice tho).

                          I think this idea is great, in maps like Grange thieves could get a new element of team play. Getting a guard to show them the inside before going in.
                          Feel the power of the

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Antero90
                            I just mentioned it because spectating on same large areas like Korman I get some slowdowns (ok its my comp i admit it :roll: )
                            Yep.

                            Originally posted by Antero90
                            Er... so im assuming you get the chance of rotating the camera just like in normal spectating (best option IMO) or a fixed view (not my choice tho).
                            I'd go with fixed, first person view, to keep it from being too powerful. You're already getting a scouting orb where you wouldn't normally, allowing total freedom of vision would be a bit much. It also gives guards a potential counter to the tactic, in not looking at areas where key defenses are set up. (*mental images of guards backing into rooms arise*)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              so basically u just need to make an ORB arrow that simulates sticking to a guard, so what if u miss? can u go get it and try again?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X