Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent-hunting

Now that I've got your attention...

Seriously though, I was thinking about how guards will often completely rape a thief in vents requiring them to crouch right down to enter. Being able to have a full-blooded swing with a sword or mace in such tight quarters is rather ludicrous, not to mention the fact that having such a weapon in your hand would impede your ability to move in a very cramped area. Note well that I'm not referring to vents where players can stand up properly.

Towards this end I was thinking that either:
    1) only crossbows could be used in small vents; melee weapons simply won't draw
    2) a dagger could be introduced into the guard (and if necessary, thief) loadout that does a lot less damage and operates at the same speed as a blackjack
    3) fists could be a melee weapon

Visions of all-in brawls in dark vents are very appealing, with only fists or daggers at hand.

Any thoughts?
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Do you really find guards in vents to be that much of a problem when you're a thief?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
      Do you really find guards in vents to be that much of a problem when you're a thief?
      For me, only the ones where one can stand up propperly.
      ]V[]V[

Comment

I usually like it when guards come in the vents.

:twisted:

The only thing that pisses me off is a couple of firespamming shadowslashing guards that go rampaging throughout the vents.
        The only constant is change.
        (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Venthunting is only effective when thieves don't expect it and don't know how to counter it. Very much like firebolts, actually...
          Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Using leet guard sneaking skillz you can often get close to an unaware thief... And smash his skull... Can be combined with a parabolt to ensure he wont turn around and crack you or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
              Using leet guard sneaking skillz you can often get close to an unaware thief... And smash his skull... Can be combined with a parabolt to ensure he wont turn around and crack you or something.

Been there, done that. I still cracked and shot him to death.

:twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
                Venthunting is only effective when thieves don't expect it and don't know how to counter it. Very much like firebolts, actually...
                How do you counter it?
                "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
                even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
                of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Crack... in eyes... pain!

Comment

Originally posted by Taffergirl
                    How do you counter it?
                    Crack arrow and run like hell, or crack arrow and a hail of broadheads.

Comment

Sounds like one would have to have pretty swift reflexes in terms of the keyboard.

"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
                      even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
                      of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Sounds like one would have to have pretty swift reflexes in terms of the keyboard.

Nah, you can hear or see them coming, and you can get the jump on them sometimes, because in manuy places in many vents, you're invisible.

Comment

How do you counter it?
                          There are quite a few ways to counter venthunting guards.
                          -Crack arrow. As LR said, you can usually hear 'em coming, or see them first since thieves can hide in shadows, and this gives you the chance to crack them and run away. Or, crack them and then launch a few broadheads towards 'em. You can kill a guard with arrows before the crack wears off.
                          -Leaning. You can lean and shoot around corners and people can't see -- or hit -- you if you're around the corner. In long vents, it's possible to kill a guard with arrows before he can reach you.
                          -Be really quiet, dodge the bolts they might shoot at ya, and make them think you aren't there. Can be a bit tricky sometimes, though.
                          -Teamwork. Enough said.
                          -Don't be in the vents. Or, get out of the vents quickly when you see a venthunter or a teammate lets you know one is coming.

Obviously, there are more. I'm just outlining a couple basic ones, I'm not going to give away my secrets. ^_^
                          Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

This isn't about whether vent-hunting is effective or how to counter it; it's about the fact that a guard would hit his arms against the sides of a vent (even the large ones) while taking a swing at a thief, let alone taking into account the extra 5 feet of steel held in the hands. It's VERY possible for any thief to be completely raped in a vent situation.

To give you an example, on Breakout the other day Curu and myself ended up the guardians of a set of keys to both doors in the prison vent system. I killed poe and injured Chalrif with wild mace swings in a 2-foot high vent, and against Chalrif I was cracked (the only reason he won was because he came with a sword.) I've been in other games where guards have piled into vents swinging wildly, and it's often the case where the transition between a large vent and a small vent slows down a thief sufficiently to ensure that they're dead on arrival.
                            Nightmaster,
                            .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                            - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Or you can find a guard, hide around a corner and wait for him to pass, then get behind him and follow him for 5 minutes. Once he drops out of a ventgate, mario him. And then BJ the guard standing right beside him before he can figure out what happened.

Been there, done that.

Comment

Working...
                              X