What exactly is a 'DM Thief'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is a 'DM Thief'?

People often use the term 'DM Thief', yet it could mean several different things.
    Which of these description is the most accurate? (Or submit the correct definition)
    - A thief who KOs/Snipe
    - A thief who's BlackJack happy
    - A thief who use the Blackjack in frontal assaults
    - A thief who goes out of his way to KO/Kill (all) guards

Thanks
    [/n00b]

A combination of them all.

I for one would say... It's really the way you attack guards that makes you either a skilled thief or a dmer.

Those who buy lotsa arrows to snipe ai's and human guards... dm.
    Those who knockout every single ai they see... dm.
    Those who charge every guard they see, human or ai... dm. (Think gerome fronrtyard massacre here)

When i knockout, im mosten often sitting in a shadow and waiting for guard to come rushing by.... This is the way it's meant to be played. Getting the drop on a unaware guard.

Comment

Definitions vary. On one extreme, we have the definition of a DM thief being ONLY a thief who kills (not KO's) every single guard in order to win. On the other extreme the definition is any thief who KO's even a single guard (you may laugh, but we had a player who referred to any thief who KO'd as a DM thief). Most people's definitions fall somewhere in the middle. I'd say MB's definition is fairly accurate. My own is any thief who starts a round with the intent of taking out the guard team to win, generally ignoring objectives (though some DM thieves will grab loot and objectives if they happen to be nearby, to hedge their bets against not being able to take out all the guards).

Comment

Yup and I say a thief who doesn't kill or KO at all (i.e. restricting him-/herself out of some stupid reason) so i.e. who doesn't DM in a way, just fears it too much since it also gives away his/her position.
        (e.g. you do start out with 5 broadheads from the start so why not try and kill that AI with a one-hit-to-the-back shot with one of 'em and thereby improve the thieves chance of an (/a more)easy win?)
        'True/absolute ghosting' is therefore not the ultimate type of play nor the one of the-most-skilled-in-all-fields player.
        I admire a skilled 'DMer' just as much as a skilled 'true ghoster' but what really counts is that you let ppl play the way they want as long as they play by the server rules and don't bitch and moan into their faces for it.
        (Just search for another server with other rules then or start your own)
        Just my opinion on the old debate.
        AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
        Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
        Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

KOing and Killing does NOT make someone a DM thief. :roll:

DM, by definition, is DeathMatch. Thievery, as we all know, is not about Killing each other, but completing objectives. Yes, the guards objective may be to kill all the thieves, but it's still an Objective. Now, a thief becomes a DMer as soon as he no longer plays for objectives, but instead goes looking for a fight with the guards, be it killing or KOing. Making a few or a couple strategic KOs or kills doesn't make someone a DM thief. I don't consider myself a DM thief, though I KO and Kill a LOT, because I still go after the Objectives.
          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
          "Dream is Destiny"
          Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
            Thievery, as we all know, is not about Killing each other, but completing objectives.
            EDITed cuz of Curunir's 'What?'
            Nah, it's [about] whatever thieves prefer.

[Hope that helped. ]
            AlienMode ThieveryUT adaption
            Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
            Life is a bitch, then you get cancer. One story is good till another is told.

Comment

What?
              "Dream is Destiny"
              Waking Life

Comment

One could say that a DM spree in gerome front yard would help the thieves complete the other objectives...

I KO ais to get them out of my way - I don't want to be caught by them, or because I know those AIs will be camping objectives - unless I do something.

I KO players for three reasons:

A: I really want their items.

B: It is the safest thing to do.

C: Soem guard is running around outside. If I KO him, his team will (Temporarily) have one less guard to camp the objectives/loot.

All of these reasons lead to attaining objectives. The killing sprees I go on are another matter.

Comment

I pretty much sword anything or anyone i can.

Comment

Yenz is definitely the best example of your friendly neighbourhood DM Thief
                    Nightmaster,
                    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                    - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

I'm not saying anything is wrong with Dming, I enjoy it myself sometimes. :twisted:
                      "Dream is Destiny"
                      Waking Life

Comment

DMing thieves work very well when coupled with ghosters.

Comment

Yes they do.
                          "Dream is Destiny"
                          Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Yenzarill
                            DMing thieves work very well when coupled with ghosters.
                            In-game too, apparently
                            Nightmaster,
                            .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                            - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Of course, being hybrid ids best: defence in vents and other tight spaces, while still being hard to find
                              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Working...
                              X