Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Placeholder bots

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Placeholder bots

    Currently, when a player gets disconnected/reconnects, his character effectively suicides, making his/her team permanently lose a life. That's BAD.

    My suggestion is to replace the disconnected player by an AI.
    (Includes protection against free loadout exploits.)

    - If the player is not out of the loadout screen, just place back the AI for guards, or give back a life for thieves.
    - Otherwise, a bot is spawned in place of the player, the player's ID is marked on the bot, and the player's inventory is saved on the bot.
    - Marked bots are on the lowest takeover priority for the respawn of other players.
    - When the player (re)connects, the server checks if the player has placeholder bot. If the player does, the server spawns the player in place of the bot with his old saved inventory.
    - If another player is forced to respawn in another player's placeholder bot. That player gets the disconnected player's saved inventory instead of a loadout screen.
    - Health levels are transfered at each transformation.

    Guard placeholder bots are the usual AIs and are set to 'Investigate' by default.

    Thief placeholder bots will require a new AI (hence probably won't be worth the effort). The thief AI will only need to do two things: try to hide in shadows, and run away if spotted.
    To prevent objective hogging, the thief AI should do one or more of these:
    - Die after a delay.
    - Drop his loot and/or objectives if BJed by another thief.
    - Slowly returns his loot overtime.

    Phoebus
    p.s.: Maybe flares and health potions should be transfered to/from bots. To prevent another kind of exploit.

  • #2
    Other players that spawn as into the placeholder guard should get a new loadout and health.
    I wouldn't want someone else's used loadout

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe guardbots of DC'd players should be regarded as taking a pee break.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LaughingRat
        Maybe guardbots of DC'd players should be regarded as taking a pee break.
        oh dear...

        Comment


        • #5

          Comment


          • #6
            Builder: If you get full health, and a new loadout, what about people disconnecting on purpose, to essentially gain the items, and heal up?

            I think players should be assigned ID numbers, same with the bots. You spawn in the bot that matches your ID number. ID's are re-assigned every round.

            The thief AI should be invisible, and undamageable.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
              Builder: If you get full health, and a new loadout, what about people disconnecting on purpose, to essentially gain the items, and heal up?

              I think players should be assigned ID numbers, same with the bots. You spawn in the bot that matches your ID number. ID's are re-assigned every round.

              The thief AI should be invisible, and undamageable.
              ERh?... No... that's not what i said/meant

              The player that DC'ed and the bot keeps the health and items, but if a new player were to spawn inside that bot, he still gets his standard loadout menu and all items. The DC'ed player would just get back in where he left with whatever he left.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, to make things simpler, couldn't we just have players who didn't get disced spawn inside some other bots, only spawning inside the disced one (With it's old loadout) when other bot lives run out?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                  Well, to make things simpler, couldn't we just have players who didn't get disced spawn inside some other bots, only spawning inside the disced one (With it's old loadout) when other bot lives run out?
                  That's already in the original suggestion.
                  Originally posted by Phoebus
                  - Marked bots are on the lowest takeover priority for the respawn of other players.
                  My suggestion was made under the assumption that the free loadout 'exploit' would be fixed (from being BJed).
                  Otherwise, the whole 'get other player's saved inventory' thing would be superfluous.

                  Here what I was trying to avoid:
                  One player disconnect, one suicides and takes over the other player's placeholder bot with a fresh loadout. Another player disconnects, the first player that disconnected reconnects and take over the second disconnected player's placeholder bot with a fresh loadout, and so on.

                  Phoebus

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Limit a player to one DC per round.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes, MB! Punish those 56k bitches.
                      If the placeholder bot can be done through an effective system, it shouldn't matter how many times someone disconnects, in theory.

                      This is a good idea, Phoeb. Not only would it ease connection problems, but also fix problems with people deliberately wasting lives (which hasn't happened in a while, but it never hurts to have a safeguard.)
                      I don't think the bot should actually physically manifest itself as a thief (in the appropriate case), but rather be like a 'spirit' awaiting the return of its owner. That would mean that the loot/obj's would have to be dropped on disconnect (perhaps a necessary evil?).
                      Nightmaster,
                      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                      - "until the cat is skinned"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Punish them?
                        They are the only one's that gets DC'ed... and very rarely they do it twice in a round... if ever.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Master-Builder
                          Punish them?
                          They are the only one's that gets DC'ed... and very rarely they do it twice in a round... if ever.
                          Catch the sarcasm.

                          More than 2 dropouts in a map can occur, and if the placeholder bots are done well, why shouldn't this be allowed for?
                          Nightmaster,
                          .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                          - "until the cat is skinned"

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X