Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make a new game, lock it and all that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make a new game, lock it and all that?

I'd like to play a game with just a few friends and no one else. I've tried to do this, but UT's setup doesn't allow me to do that or something... What am I missing?

Along these same lines, is it because of this that there are still only 5 or 6 servers that you can join when you look at the list of multiplayer games going on? Because it's odd to see the equivalent screen in Unreal Tournament, and see literally thousands of games going on at the same time. What's up?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Onager1286
    I'd like to play a game with just a few friends and no one else. I've tried to do this, but UT's setup doesn't allow me to do that or something... What am I missing?
    Easiest way todo this is to go to the Multiplayer menu, and choose "Start New Multiplayer Game". Choose all the options you want (be sure to uncheck the "Advertise Server" box), and hit start (NOT decdicated). This will start a game that is also a server. If it's unadvertised, you won't need to password it, but you will need to make sure the friends joining you know your IP. Make sure you've set up your firewall to allow them in. If you're behind a rounter, you'll also need to forward UDP on ports 7777-7782 to the machine hosting the game. If you're not behind a router, just ignore that part.

The way your friends will join goes like this: They'll go to the Multiplayer menu, and choose "Join Multiplayer Game". Then, in the server browser, they'll right-click, and select "Open Location". They'll put your IP in there, and if you've done everything else correctly, you should be set.

A machine hosting a game with several players will take a significant performance hit, though, so be warned of that.

Originally posted by Onager1286
    Along these same lines, is it because of this that there are still only 5 or 6 servers that you can join when you look at the list of multiplayer games going on? Because it's odd to see the equivalent screen in Unreal Tournament, and see literally thousands of games going on at the same time. What's up?
    It's simply a much smaller community. There are tens of thousands of UT players worldwide, but at most only hundreds of Thievery players. There really isn't much more call for more servers than we have now.

Comment

Edit: I have been rendered useless by LaughingRat.
      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
        Edit: I have been rendered useless by LaughingRat.
        Now that's funny!
        Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

My neighbor had to come upstairs and tell me to keep it down, I was laughing so hard.

Tell ya what, Big D. Next time you answer someone's mapping question, I'll post exactly that after it, and we'll call it even.

Comment

lOl, TDan, I don't think you'll ever be replaced or become obsolete.
            Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
            "Dream is Destiny"
            Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
              lOl, TDan, I don't think you'll ever be replaced or become obsolete.
              TDan? Didn't you confuse him and Big D before, too?

Comment

Aye, I do that often when i read quickly. I'll change it.
                "Dream is Destiny"
                Waking Life

Comment

Well, at least I didn't just do the logical thing and delete the post...

Comment

We've gotten a bit off track here.

So, Onager, did my reply help? Have you tried it out, and did it work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat

And?
                      "Dream is Destiny"
                      Waking Life

Comment

And?
                        I could swear that smiley is moving faster than it used to

Comment

And?
                          And I wanted to make sure that everything worked out for Onager, and if it didn't, to find out what was wrong, so I could assist further.

Comment

LR: P

Big_D: Perhaps your perception of things has been h4xx0r3d?
                            "Dream is Destiny"
                            Waking Life

Comment

LR: P
                              Oh yeah? Well, a big ol' capital "q" to you then.

Comment

Working...
                              X