Door spikes and using lockpicks to lock doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door spikes and using lockpicks to lock doors

This suggestion is pretty self-explanatory, firstly I would like to hear some comments on the suggestion of adding door spikes to the game. These items, which could be purchased by thieves could be used to 'block' door or otherwise lock them. This would aid a thief in an effort to run away and could have many other tactical uses. The door should come up with 'the door is spiked’ when it is frobbed by a guard or thief. Guards should be able to bust the door open with a sword or mace, by hitting it and therefore removing the spike. Thieves perhaps could recover spikes from doors. Don't think this would un-balance the game or anything, but perhaps it would make the game needlessly more complex.
    On another point, I was thinking it would be handy if thieves could re-lock doors with lockpicks. You can lock doors with keys, so why can't you with lockpicks. This would have a couple of uses, for example re-locking doors after you have used them and are leaving an area so guards don't pick up on it. It would also be useful to use on some doors which guards don't automatically have a key for and therefore prevent them from gaining access to some areas, such as the Doctors Study in Asylum after the lock on the door has been picked. Same deal with the vent-coverings in Aquatone. I just thought it would be a good idea to add this feature to the game. Any thoughts on these two suggestions?
    .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Me likes.
    ]V[]V[

Comment

You cannot lock doors with lockpicks, it's impossible in real life, and would look VERY ugly in thievery.
      JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
        You cannot lock doors with lockpicks, it's impossible in real life, and would look VERY ugly in thievery.
        Wrong on both accounts.
        ]V[]V[

Comment

Spikes wouldn't work well on metal doors. And many mappers don't make wooden doors breakable in the first place. I am not sure if this would be fun for Dalai to program.

kiech
          www.thecrackaz.com
          Kiech

Comment

It would make the already unbalanced levels even more unbalanced ot implement this.

Good idea, but unhealthy for the scripter.
            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
              I lock and unlock my desk at work almost every day with lockpicks. Note, I both UNLOCK and LOCK it.

Comment

And how would the engine know exactly whick you wanted ot do? lock or unlock?
                "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                  And how would the engine know exactly whick you wanted ot do? lock or unlock?
                  If it's locked, unlock. If it's unlocked, lock.

Pretty simple...
                  The only constant is change.
                  (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Like the idea.

For fun, what about an option allowing thieves to sacrifice their lockpicks by breaking them in the door lock? Admitedly, some dangers there...
                    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
                      Like the idea.

For fun, what about an option allowing thieves to sacrifice their lockpicks by breaking them in the door lock? Admitedly, some dangers there...

for fun? that's the perfect solution!

At thief can't constntly keep locking doors, it would make the game EXTREMELY one-sided. Howeveer, if htet thief decided he wanted to lock hte door (and make it non-openable by guards) he breaks the picks in the lock! GENIUS!

Comment

I like the idea. Also, I would like it if guards could lock unlocked doors back. Perhaps they could use the lp or something else.
                        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                        "Dream is Destiny"
                        Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
                          I am not sure if this would be fun for Dalai to program
                          Methinks it won't be Dalai programming something like this

Comment

lOl, TDan = teh unofficial 1337 scripter for TUT
                            Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                            "Dream is Destiny"
                            Waking Life

Comment

It would make the already unbalanced levels even more unbalanced ot implement this.
                              At thief can't constntly keep locking doors, it would make the game EXTREMELY one-sided.
                              Of course relocking doors and vents etc, would take as long as picklocking them in the first place and just as noisy, I don't really see how it would greatly unbalance the game. In asylum or aquatone for example this would make it harder for guards to vent-crawl and allow thieves to keep guards out of areas they really weren't suppose to be able to reach. I don't think that it would make these levels more unbalanced, but rather quite the opposite.
                              Really though as LR and MM mention it IS POSSIBLE to lock doors with lockpicks and I think it would make a good edition to thievery.

Originally posted by Curunir
                              I like the idea. Also, I would like it if guards could lock unlocked doors back. Perhaps they could use the lp or something else.
                              Guards seem to have some sort of guard master key which allows them to open various locked doors, It would be reasonable if they could use this same 'key' to re-lock doors. However if you think about it, seeing a key locks a door immediately and it takes a thief a fair amount of time to lockpick a door, this sort of edition would unbalance the game.

I don't really have much faith in my door spikes suggestion, but I think that re-locking doors with lp has a place in the game.
                              .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Working...
                              X