Multiplayer Bug "Client not able to jump"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer Bug "Client not able to jump"

I did some searching around over the forums and didn’t see this, so here goes. I have a home network and did the installations on each of my machines (each using XP for an OS, each also using the NVIDIA graphics chipset, and all drivers are confirmed to be the latest available). The game worked better than ever! – At first…The bug I found was that regardless of who was ‘hosting’ the multiplayer game, the ‘client’ didn’t have the ability to Jump . When attempting to chat, the spacebar still worked; however within the game, the default ‘spacebar’ didn’t allow the user to Jump. I also want to indicate that I reversed the situation by switching out who was hosting the game and for sure none of the clients were able to Jump. Also, I had changed which key to use for the ability to Jump and this did not solve the problem. Has anyone ran into this problem? If so, is there a work-around or a patch to fix this?
    How did humans declare themselves above nature?

*looks around...*

LR!!!

Sorry dude, wait till the morning and I'm sure someone will be able to help you, God knows I can't.
    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
    "Dream is Destiny"
    Waking Life

Comment

Wait a minute... I may know what it is: Bind it again. Honestly, just go and bind it again. I think that happened to me once a while back and all I had to do was go and rebind it. Try that and holler back.
      "Dream is Destiny"
      Waking Life

Comment

I did try to rebind; however to no avail... As a matter of fact, I went ahead and even tried different keys to try and bind to - again to no avail...Is there anything else off the top of your head? I'll try whatever I can:-) This game kicks 'way' too much tail for me to not have it up and running!!!! In any event, thanks for your tip and I look forward to more to come;-).

Comment

I have also experienced this problem when playing games over my home LAN.
          Haven't had a problem recently and the couple of times it has happened, I had no real idea what was causing it. Like you said the client was unable to jump, reconnecting seemed to do the trick or otherwise restarting the server. It might have been a result of running various UT mutators along with the game, but that is all I can think of sorry.
          .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Yeah, if you are running a mutator, thats probably it, they can really mess stuff up...
            It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Thanks fur’the heads up on the mutator and I’ll be sure to steer clear of’m;-). However with my situation I’m running the standard install of:
              [1st - UT (Full Install), 2nd UT - Patch 436, 3rd - thieveryut-beta14.exe] Am I messing something up when I install?
              PS---Also keep in mind that I’ve re-installed the game on both of my machines…still to no avail…

Comment

So you do have the 1.4 patch?
                "Dream is Destiny"
                Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Curunir
                  So you do have the 1.4 patch?
                  Sounds like he just has the full 1.4 install. And thanks for thinking of me, Cur, but I have no idea on this one. Everything I'd have suggested has apparently already been tried.

Comment

Ya, at the moment, I'm scraping to find some kind of work-around. I’ve only installed the 1.4 full install with the understanding that I’d not have to install any of the previous patches. Am I wrong? Or am I on track with the install?
                    On another note What makes this bug ‘very’ strange in nature is the fact that I had installed the game (the first time) and the client worked fine at first. (The person logged into my game was able to Jump with no problems.) Then all of a sudden this bug popped up and it’s been mocking me ever since…grrrrr…
                    Wanted to give just a bit of depth to the situation. I was hosting “Flats”, my gamers love this map because of the rooftop travel – a ‘way’ cool map. Anyway, both myself and the other player successfully logged in and spawned where we were supposed to no problems. The Player who logged in was just getting used to the controls, so I decided to lead him over the rooftops. Everything worked as planned until we reached the structure (just past the initial planks). The moment we attempted to jump onto the next roof, I noticed that I had major problems jumping or trying to climb. By the time I jumped over to the pipes (that curl around the corner so I can get to the next roof), the Player who was the client, dropped down into the small terrace that leads into a dead-end small room. At that moment is when we finally discovered that he couldn’t jump out of the terrace. Ever since, clients (not the host) lost the ability to jump.
                    I also wanted to say thank all of you who have stepped up to bat and try to help me! This is really my first time getting involved with an online forum for help. I’ve tried with different forums and your lucky to see anything posted of worth. (Normally getting a reply back that’s nothing more that a FAQ link.) Onward & outward! Let’s all hope that this issue get’s a bit of attention from the programmers, and let’s hope they’ll be able to give us a work-around (or a patch to fix the problem).
                    Overall, I’m so impressed with this game that it’s a shame to be held up with this kind of bug; however I’m so very glad that someone is offering this OUTSTANDING game! The graphics ROCK and the game runs like fluid!!

Comment

The only other thing I can think of to try off the top of my head is to either re-download the 1.4 install, but from a different mirror (perhaps your download is corrupted or has become so), or to try doing the installation with the 1.0 version, followed by the 1.2 patch (the 1.1 isn't necessary), the 1.3 and the 1.4.

I also know that some viruses can affect the way a game works (discovered this early on - the Hybris virus apparently keeps Unreal Tournament from auto-changing the maps in single player), so you might try a thorough virus scan of all machines involved.

Comment

Have you tried to bind the key from the console? Have the client try set input space jump and see if that works.

Does the ThieveryUser.ini file have any key bound to "jump"(use Notepad's handy find function), if not that could be the problem.

I very much doubt that it's a firewall problem(since all other information works), but you may want to try disabling it for a test, antivirus as well(but run that scan LR said to do first). Be sure you have the Windows XP firewall disabled(and never enable it again) as it can cause inexplicable problems in multitudes of software.

Is there any monitoring software on your system(Net Nanny or similar, or even Norton Internet security). Disable those if possible.
                        Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Maybe something in the ut user .ini file, a double bind, or maybe the game is accessing the key as an alias instead of a real button press, so instead of *gripping* the key press, its only flicking it on/off rapidly each press.

I'm no good with the .ini files, but that could be what it is, not sure how it may have happened but I know it *could* happen, so, someone please step up to the plate after me and give Castle_Midian a run down on why it may treat a key press differently.

Its like I use the run "modifier" bind, instead of the pure run "switch". If you don't know what I mean thats no prob, someone here will know how to check and sort it out if it is that.

Thank you and god day, my limited knowledge is spent in this matter ( )
                          How TuF are you?
                          League of Legends
                          Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

When you re-install Thievery do you have any sort of Anti-Virus Program running in the back-ground? This can hamper the installation, and cause problems. When you re-install make sure it is turned off. Don't think it would cause an inability to jump though, but its good as a general rule when installing stuff.
                            .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Have you tried running a UT server and seeing if the clients can jump?
                              No Linux, No Choice.
                              Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X