Server Option: Thief dies on killing a guard for TvG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Option: Thief dies on killing a guard for TvG

I know that this FORCES people to ghost but at some point there is usually a ghosting server up (~TuF~ have one at the moment) and it's inevitable that people will break the rules.

The option is already there in Coop so it would probably just be a copy-and-paste job to implement.

BTW: KO's can be prevented totally by reducing the wakeup to 1 second :twisted:
    One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -
    The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Shouldn't be hard to make a mutator. I'll have a look tomorrow. Oh - do you want to punish KOing and killing, or just killing?
    Immortius' Forge

Comment

Mutual death still leaves an avenue open to the people who don't want to play by the rules, especially on maps with a decent pool of Thief lives. Better to just make the guards invincible (but not to KOs) and remove the nonsensical option of a Thief deciding it's worth killing himself to murder a guard. The invincibility trigger could be set at a certain point of health so Thieves could tactically weaken guards to make them more susceptible to environment dangers, if that's your kind of thing.

Comment

Mutual killing would suck. Imagine guards bodyblocking doorways. You can't crack him, as that would kill the guard... If you try to ko him, he will definetly rip a few holes in you with his crossbow/sword...

Comment

It works a treat immortius, cheers

Those suggestions I sent you would be a great addition though.

For the hecklers: that's the reason it's a mutator, this is a ghosting only server where we don't want to have to police it all the time. If I caught someone breaking the rules I'd kick them and they'd lose a life. This does it automatically for me.

We're not after realism but a no-nonsense way to enforce our ghosting rules.

It's a big thumbs-up for oppression in the Red corner :wink:
          -

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
            You can't crack him, as that would kill the guard...
            Whoah. Crack arrows are instant kills? I gotta buy me more of those.

Comment

One tiny bug in the mutator - if you are a thief and you kill/KO a guard and die the last thief life as a result, on your screen at least it says "thieves win" :roll: . This doesn't affect the final scores however. Incidently, this bug also occurs on Spiders with its "No Kill" Objective.
              Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                How about guards setting themselves on fre/fighting spiders/cratering to get themselves down to low life?

This mutator is intended to prevent abuse of rules, but it has the potential to create more abuse, if done by the Th-Spiders way.

Comment

How about guards setting themselves on fre/fighting spiders/cratering to get themselves down to low life?
                  So what. Guards can hurt themselves as much as they want - they can't force thieves to hurt them. All they're doing is risking death and wasting time.

You mention guards blocking a door? The same is a problem in a ghosting server without this mutator anyway, if you look at it that way. And how bad can it be? AI are easy to trick into moving without having to hurt them, and there is only so many human players. Plus it would take a very patient human to block a door the entire 30 or so minutes of a game.
                  Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by immortius
                    Plus it would take a very patient human to block a door the entire 30 or so minutes of a game.
                    In addition to which, there IS a counter for this that doesn't involve killing or KO'ing the guard in question.

Comment

This reminds me of a game I recently had on SPider...it was great!

There was one thief left, and he kept trying to make me fall off the ledges and die. Once, he flashed me and I fell down the spiral stairs. (Unknown to him, I now have 1 health). I then stood at the end of a ledge. I hear the creak of a bow, the shot...my screen literally filled with the white crack tip...hit me, and I died.

The game ended, and I was like WTF? I was last guard?!?!

No, I wasn't...it took me a while to realise what had actually happened...

In reality, I was a martyr! woo!
                      Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
                      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by immortius

So what. Guards can hurt themselves as much as they want - they can't force thieves to hurt them. All they're doing is risking death and wasting time.

You mention guards blocking a door? The same is a problem in a ghosting server without this mutator anyway, if you look at it that way. And how bad can it be? AI are easy to trick into moving without having to hurt them, and there is only so many human players. Plus it would take a very patient human to block a door the entire 30 or so minutes of a game.
                        And a Dmer in a ghosting server won't last long.

Comment

Originally posted by Sisu
                          Very true. Though as much as I would like to say that the abusing parties get kicked, they sometimes manage to rationalize to others that one or two KO's on a ghosting server is okay, which is bull if the server is going to be GHOSTING ONLY. IMO of course. 8)
                          In our opinions also.

Originally posted by Sisu
                          I don't mind newbies that don't know the rules, they can be educated, they don't know what a ghosting only server is. But veteran players who think its fine to KO a few AI that are in the way or KO a human so they can snatch some potions in a ghosting server are VERY annoying. This mutator might make them think twice about breaking the rules for their own benefit, I would hope so anyway.
                          Yup. That's the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Garlisk

This reminds me of a game I recently had on SPider...it was great!

There was one thief left, and he kept trying to make me fall off the ledges and die. Once, he flashed me and I fell down the spiral stairs. (Unknown to him, I now have 1 health). I then stood at the end of a ledge. I hear the creak of a bow, the shot...my screen literally filled with the white crack tip...hit me, and I died.

The game ended, and I was like WTF? I was last guard?!?!

No, I wasn't...it took me a while to realise what had actually happened...

In reality, I was a martyr! woo!
                            Bah...

Dont think i did it to you, but i did loose the game few days ago because a weak guard couldn't survive my crackarrows.

Comment

Thanks for the updates Immortius, I've put it on ChainsawDeath for download and I'll get it on our server asap.

(The watchers demo map is there btw, I just checked the link - it's in the Downloads section...I might need a new 'Server Stuff' or 'Mapping Tools' section or something soon if I'm not careful :grin: )
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X