Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thieves should be faster than guards.

Lightweight thieves should be faster than armored guards. Example

Guard goes speed 3 thief goes speed 4, when guard takes speed potion he goes speed 5 and can catch the thief and kill him.

I think guards are faster than thieves or as fast in this current version, I don't know tho.
    Thievery-O's pwn j00!!111!!!1!

A guard with a mace or crossbow out goes slower than normal.

A thief with a bow or blackjack out goes slower than normal.

A thief with nothing out goes faster than a guard with nothing (or a sword) out.
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
      A thief with nothing out goes faster than a guard with nothing (or a sword) out.
      You would think, but I have had instances when an AI Guard wielding a mace was able to catch me. He stoppped when he swung allowing me to put some distance between, then would run after me and catch, stop to swing, etc. Never understood this.
      Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
      Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebos
        Originally posted by CrouchingDork
        You would think, but I have had instances when an AI Guard wielding a mace was able to catch me. He stoppped when he swung allowing me to put some distance between, then would run after me and catch, stop to swing, etc. Never understood this.
        That's because the AI are super.
        The only constant is change.
        (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Yes, AI are uber, and can magically do that.

The thief speed is only a little bit more. Starting right next to each other, and running in a straight line the same direction, a sword guard will probably be able to kill an unarmed thief before they get out of range.

I think a lot of people play with their sound off. I've had a mace and drunk a speed potion to catch up to a thief that did not, then they get all confused as to how I caught them while holding a mace.

Mace + speed > unarmed thief
          Mace < unarmed thief

Yeah, and what CD said too.

Comment

Mr. Gloomy Death sir!

Have you ever played the custom map th-2o? The ai's skill there is set so high, that they hear you when you're outside, and are able to shoot you. THe point is, tht while AIs can be dumb, it's up to the individual AI. Making thieves faster in all instances makes it harder for online gameplay wher humans (not hte cheating ais) have to catch up. as it is, it's rare that a guard catches up to an unarmed thef, instead, a guard catches a thief unawares. In all, i don't think it needs to be changed, and if it does, then only just a little.
            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

the thief slows down when he is hit.

Comment

Thieves are 10% faster then guards when unarmed.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpsonsChristmasBoogie
                  the thief slows down when he is hit.
                  Ah, that's right, isn't it? (It makes thieves that are on fire at a heavy disadvantage, while tagged thieves may still be able to outrun)

They also go visible for a second! Don't forget that!

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                    Thieves are 10% faster then guards when unarmed.
                    Apparently, that's not enough.
                    "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
                    even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
                    of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

What you're not considering is a) any damage on a thief will slow them down momentarily, such as if the guard can hit them with a sword or a bolt, or if the thief is on fire, and b) the guard can triangulate, ie if the thief moves one way at an angle, and then another way at an angle, the guard may be able to predict this and just move the straight line between the end points, thus covering less distance than the thief to reach the same place, ie. gets there quicker.

Also, lag works for the guard in this respect. For example, thief sees guard, guard sees thief. Thief runs away, this takes some time to reach the guard's computer, and since hits are calculated locally, the guard has more time to hit the thief, or at least will be closer to him than would otherwise be the case for attacking purposes. Conversely, the lag from the thief end will make the guard actually appear further away than he is for hitting purposes, since it takes time to get from the guard to the server to the thief that he has changed position. Hence guards can catch thieves even though it may appear from the thief's point of view that they were far enough away to start with that the guard shouldn't have been able to catch/hit them, and even with the 10% speed difference.
                      {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                      Contact details updated
                      I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy
                        b) the guard can triangulate, ie if the thief moves one way at an angle, and then another way at an angle, the guard may be able to predict this and just move the straight line between the end points
                        Indeed, this gets a lot of thieves killed.

As well as the lag part; I've been whacked with a mace from up to ten metres away before
                        Nightmaster,
                        .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                        - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Another thing is (correct me if I'm wrong), when you drink a speed potion you go at a set speed regardless of weapon drawn or whether you are a guard or a thief. This allows guards with maces to catch up to thieves with ease, despite the heavy-weaponry. Maybe the speed gained from a speed potion should also be modified by what weapon you are carrying, for both guard and thief.

On another note, is it true that you can actually travel faster by running forward and strafing at the same time? Something to do with a problem in most 1st person shoot games.
                          .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Originally posted by TafferBoy
                            Another thing is (correct me if I'm wrong), when you drink a speed potion you go at a set speed regardless of weapon drawn or whether you are a guard or a thief. This allows guards with maces to catch up to thieves with ease, despite the heavy-weaponry. Maybe the speed gained from a speed potion should also be modified by what weapon you are carrying, for both guard and thief.

On another note, is it true that you can actually travel faster by running forward and strafing at the same time? Something to do with a problem in most 1st person shoot games.
                            Most 7 year old FPS games? Yes.

UT? No.

Comment

The speed movement is fine. Thieves are hard enough to catch by HUMAN guards already.

Comment

Working...
                              X