Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running UT and Thievery Server simultaneously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running UT and Thievery Server simultaneously?

I currently run a private UT server on a different machine at my apt. Is there a way to run a UT server and a Thievery Server from the same machine at the same time? I think i got the Thievery server running ok alone, but how do i make two different servers?

That's.... complicated. It can be done, but it takes a lot of work and setup, and it's probably best to do it off a double install of UT, that is, two installations in two different folders.

Comment

yea thats what i was thinking.
      Thanks for the help.

Also I'd like to see if there are any connection problems, lost packets, or lagging games while running my thievery server, so if anyone wants to help, feel free to join my server and leave me feedback at my email [email protected] or in this post. Its not all jazzed up with mapvote and stuff, but i just wanna see how well it performs.

Thanks all!

Comment

You'll also want the Thievery and UT servers running on different ports. Default for both is 7777, so change one. You'll need to set firewall permissions for each of the ports the servers run on, plus 5 port further, so one server on 7777, open 7777-7782 to UDP, other server on, say, 6666, open ports 6666-6671. Same applies to webadmin if you have that enabled. Router will need the appropriate ports forwarded to the server machine, too, if you have one.

Thinking on it a bit, it's actually nowhere near as complicated as running two servers for the same game on the same machine. There's some serious messing with the .ini files you have to do to set that up, but since UT and Thievery use a different set of .ini files, you don't get the conflicts you would if you were running two UT servers or two Thievery servers.

Comment

i seem to be running into an issue though. My server runs great until a map change occurs. then it lags to high hell. have to restart server to get it fixed.

Comment

Running under WinXP or Win2K, aren't you?

Download this, unzip it, and stick the file in your unrealtournament/system directory (or wherever the /system directory is for your Thievery server install). When it asks if you want it to replace the existing file by that name, say yes. There's no need to back it up, as it's what's causing the problem.

Comment

yes! thanks bud, microwave also directed me to this file. Seems to have fixed it all up! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Hmm, I run my Server and Play UT from the same machine and the same installation

My Machine is a monster tho

I would like however to have another machine to run the server.
                ~TuF~

Comment

Running a server and playing from the machine isn't the issue, though, TM. Running two servers from the same machine is. It's possible, but you can get port conflicts if bother servers are running on the default ports.

Comment

For those of you who may be curious...

heh, ok for shits and giggles, I decided to try to run a Thievery normal server and a Thievery Cooperative server on the same machine, using the tips that laughingrat gave me (thanks again )

- I Copied UCC.exe, ThAux.ini, and ThieveryUser.ini and renamed the copies to UCC-coop.exe, ThAux-coop.ini, and ThieveryUser-coop.ini respectively.
                    - I changed the ThieveryServer.bat file to reflect this as well and copied and renamed to TheiveryServer-Coop.bat

In ThAux-coop.ini i changed:

- Port from 7777 to 6666 like you said.
                    - Listenport for webadmin to 81

and it worked!
                    I goto localhost:80/ServerAdmin for Thievery normal
                    and localhost:81/ServerAdmin for Thievery Cooperative

I now have both types of servers running from that machine. Have to see how bad it's going to lag tho?

Comment

Originally posted by tundra
                      Have to see how bad it's going to lag tho?
                      Server specs and connection type/bandwidth? Also, MaxClientRate for both servers?

Comment

When I was writing a script to restart the Thievery server in the (unlikely ) event that it may crash, on my Linux Thievery server box,
                        I managed to get 8 copies of Thievery running by accident! 8)
                        PhaeThorn and others spotted them in ASE, so they were all advertising OK
                        Mind you, they were all using the same port, so I guess they wouldn't have worked too well

Comment

Originally posted by Mog
                          PhaeThorn and others spotted them in ASE...
                          Yeah. I thought you had drinked too much coffee or something.

Comment

heh, yea i did that at first trying to share the THaux.ini files between the two servers.

I had a Normal thievery server running theatre
                            and a coop thievery server running Bourgieous
                            both on 7777
                            They both advertised the different levels but when i tried to join the normal thievery game, it took me to the coop map and forced me to be thief and became a coop game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mog
                              When I was writing a script to restart the Thievery server in the (unlikely ) event that it may crash, on my Linux Thievery server box,
                              PhaeThorn and others spotted them in ASE, so they were all advertising OK
                              Mind you, they were all using the same port, so I guess they wouldn't have worked too well
                              Hahah, I saw those too.
                              The only constant is change.
                              (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Working...
                              X