Tundra's firebolt mutator server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tundra's firebolt mutator server

Ok, i think this is the right forum for this thread.

I'm sure many of you have seen my server up these past few days, and many of you have played on it to see what all the hype was. Anyway, I'm running a server using Mortal Monkey's firebolt mutator that allows me to change the properties of the firebolts. I can't put a limit of two only, but I can change just about every aspect of the firebolts qualities to make them more fair no matter how many there are:

I can make them blast huge, or blast small
    I can make them flash very bright, or just tiny
    I can make them leave a flame in the grass for guards to run thru, or remove the flame
    I can make them cause more or less damage
    I can make the force of the bolt push objects in it path and scatter things
    And I can vary the radius of each of these.

After some messing around with high settings, Ive finally found some really good settings, IMO, that would be good for real game play.

New Settings:
    • I wanted to have some push, because its more realistic, but unfortunately even the slightest push would push mounted wall switches and buttons off of their spot. So push is off
    • Explosion Ignite radius is lower so there isn't a big splash now, this should make firespam haters very happy.
    • Explosion relight is raised so you can see a huge area when you hit something, gotta get your 100 loot worth right?
    • Pawns only catch fire if you hit them directly or within 1 foot (relatively speaking) If you miss, there is no fire to run through. Also good for firespam haters.
    • Hitting a pawn causes more damage now, since its harder to hit them, about 1/3 if you don't put the flame out with water arrow in time. Also meant to get your 100 loot worth.

I tried to make these settings good for both teams, those who love firebolts, and those who hate them. This makes it a little more fair, but I would like some feedback on whether you feel they are too weak or still too strong. Please only serious responses.

One more point: Fire crystals, similar to the water crystals you see, grow in random fire places and hot fire areas every 40 secs. They are frobbable by both thieves and guards. Each Crystal gives one firebolt for guards, or one explosive arrow for thieves. This kind of gives the thieves a turn to fire back as a last resort at some point in the level, or guards another shot, but this feature may not be liked. Currently it is on, but i could turn it off for either team or both teams. Also looking for feedback from that as well.

Ok, enjoy and let me know.
    :grin:

Well, if you are gonna be running a server, I suggest you PM some of the other server admins and get a list of banned players, otherwise your server will become a haven for cheaters and lamers.
    No Linux, No Choice.
    Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherMan
      ...otherwise your server will become a haven for cheaters and lamers.
      Yeah, and we don't want that, do we!

Comment

Originally posted by tundra
        I wanted to have some push, because its more realistic, but unfortunately even the slightest push would push mounted wall switches and buttons off of their spot. So push is off.
        I'll make a configurable exclusion list for the next release.

Explosion relight is raised so you can see a huge area when you hit something, gotta get your 100 loot worth right?
        Actually, Explosion relight was intended for torch relighting. I believe the light size is controlled by the explosion size, which in turn is controlled by the damage radius...
        I'll have to look into that.

Oh, and I wonder if having such a large light radius would not lead to more shooting in dark areas just in case there's a thief there. I already reduced the light radius of the bolt while it is airborne for that reason.
        I think I'll make them all configurables.
        ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
          Originally posted by LeatherMan
          ...otherwise your server will become a haven for cheaters and lamers.
          Yeah, and we don't want that, do we!
          Oh god no, Heaven forbid that any of those nasty cheaters and lamers get in!
          ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
            Oh, and I wonder if having such a large light radius would not lead to more shooting in dark areas just in case there's a thief there.
            Well since you're not getting your fire spray anymore, you still have to justify a reason to pay 100 loot for it. I think a 1 sec flash of brightness to see who's around the area when the bolt hits is a valid way to see where exactly that thief ran to when you missed him. Then it goes back to dark so you lost sight of them again.

And yea please put the ban list somewhere on the site so anyone with a server can download it, or email it to me. Also Ive seen some other servers with different mutators and serverpackages. Where do i get these? I saw mapvote, is that the same mapvote that works with UT? Do all mutators that work for UT also work for Thievery?

Comment

And yea please put the ban list somewhere on the site so anyone with a server can download it, or email it to me.
              I'm not going to post it publically. While IP addresses are considered public domain, just like names and street addresses, I don't think it's a good idea to go making them available to everyone, even they are cheaters, lamers and ragers. Most of those rager/cheater types are just angry little immature boys, with parents who have legit computer usages, and it wouldn't do to expose them to an attack because of the waste of human tissue that their offspring are.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                And yea please put the ban list somewhere on the site so anyone with a server can download it, or email it to me.
                I'm not going to post it publically. While IP addresses are considered public domain, just like names and street addresses, I don't think it's a good idea to go making them available to everyone, even they are cheaters, lamers and ragers. Most of those rager/cheater types are just angry little immature boys, with parents who have legit computer usages, and it wouldn't do to expose them to an attack because of the waste of human tissue that their offspring are.
                I love your insults.
                The only constant is change.
                (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                  Good call

Comment

<asd></asd>

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                      <asd></asd>
                      what's &lt; asd &gt; ? :?
                      thx for finally setting up a server with this tundra
                      This is my cool sig.

Comment

Yoo betcha!

And I think I'll try that random torch flame douser thing that Mortal made too.

Comment

Ok, after playing a little more, Ive decided that my settings for the firebolt mutator were a bit too weak. So Ive made some changes

- Damage radius is bigger, so if you are close enough, you will get damage, however, if you are not very close, you wont catch fire, you will just get blast damage. But if you are a tad closer, you will get flames.

- Still doesn't set a standalone fire for guards to walk thru unless it directly hits a pawn. So this will cut down on random firespam and run thrus unless they directly shoot themselves, and that causes more pain than normal fire bolts.

Comment

Again, a great idea in the right direction.

Comment

Why can't I download the necessary mutator?
                              JM

Comment

Working...
                              X