Paranoia among guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranoia among guards

It's been dicussed before, and I think it is still a good idea.

Basically, making the guards paranoid to improve atmosphere, and make sneaking a little bit easier for thieves.

The two things I can think of:

Random sounds: The very occasional clunk, the odd footstep, the faint creak of door opening. Stuff like that. So that guards will be saying "did you hear that?". (the sound will only be heard by one guard at a time, so they have to collaborate). Preferably this would only happen when there are actually no thieves in the vicinity.

Torches randomly going out: Occasionally torches should bluster out. (...very occasionally). Torches could have properties added so that mappers can set the chances / times of torches going out, which torches should (ie: outdoor torches more than indoor torches). Of course, no splash sound when this happens, so if a guard were next to the torch when it went out, they'd know it wasn't a thief.

Discuss.

Good.
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by Yenzarill
      Torches randomly going out: Occasionally torches should bluster out. (...very occasionally). Torches could have properties added so that mappers can set the chances / times of torches going out, which torches should (ie: outdoor torches more than indoor torches). Of course, no splash sound when this happens, so if a guard were next to the torch when it went out, they'd know it wasn't a thief.
      Well, I did make a mutator for that...
      ]V[]V[

Comment

Good ideas, all of them.
        ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
          Good.
          I second that.

Imagine hearing windows opening in flats, or an errant footstep in folly...

Comment

I think it would be cool to hear some background conversations amongst city dwellers in flats and burgeious. similar to those from life of the party where the guy whines that he didnt get his invitation to the party. And have maybe some non-hostile people that can scream really loud for a guard if they see a thief. Would kinda give guards a clue. Then i don't know if its possible, but when the guard arrives the non-hostile could tell the guards which exit from that room they went through, (be it the "window" or "door" or "attic") so they know which way to start looking.

Comment

Originally posted by tundra
              I think it would be cool to hear some background conversations amongst city dwellers in flats and burgeious. similar to those from life of the party where the guy whines that he didnt get his invitation to the party. And have maybe some non-hostile people that can scream really loud for a guard if they see a thief. Would kinda give guards a clue. Then i don't know if its possible, but when the guard arrives the non-hostile could tell the guards which exit from that room they went through, (be it the "window" or "door" or "attic") so they know which way to start looking.
              The only sound those NPCs would make, would be their dieing screams, as they find an arrow impaled through their stomach...

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                The only sound those NPCs would make, would be their dieing screams, as they find an arrow impaled through their stomach...
                That would require that they actually be AI NPC's in the map, and large numbers of AI = big lag (ask DarkProject about the early versions of Payback), which is a bad idea. Areas on maps that have such sounds as ambient noises would be more workable, less laggy, and require a thief THINK his way out of trouble, rather than solving every single problem with brute force.

Comment

I can't say anything to the torch-idea but it would be better if the guards here things instead of thieves.
                  It needn't be "real" noises. The AI-guards just have to think there was a noise.
                  Because when an AI-Guard heard something and is alarmed, the human guards know there's a thief.
                  Vorbei die Zeit, da Müكiggang unser einzig Laster gewesen
                  ¹·£egenذ-DOES NOT EXIST
                  We are now Via-Nox.

Comment

The AI do do that sometimes. But not enough. I hate when I move near an AI camping with a human, the AI somehow uses his invisible-motion-detector to sense me, starts babbling on, the human throws a flare, and then come the firebolts...

Comment

That's it
                      Vorbei die Zeit, da Müكiggang unser einzig Laster gewesen
                      ¹·£egenذ-DOES NOT EXIST
                      We are now Via-Nox.

Comment

The AI do do that sometimes. But not enough. I hate when I move near an AI camping with a human, the AI somehow uses his invisible-motion-detector to sense me, starts babbling on, the human throws a flare, and then come the firebolts...
                        Of course, nothing would be different if the AI did this at random, either. Because sometimes it would be an actual reason for alertness, human players will check it out anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                          Of course, nothing would be different if the AI did this at random, either. Because sometimes it would be an actual reason for alertness, human players will check it out anyway.
                          If they did it A LOT, it would help the guards from automatically spamming firebolts at the slightest sign of a thief.

Comment

Me likes.

But on the topic of the invisible-motion-sensor, they can ddo that when you're 2 floors up and away from them, so you can "play wiht it's mind" a little :twisted:
                            "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                              Well, I did make a mutator for that...
                              I made one first

Comment

Working...
                              X