Suggestion: Key Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Key Ring

One minor annoyance I have is that as a thief, if you accumulate a significant number of keys, it takes a good bit of time to cycle through your inventory. So I'd suggest having all the keys stored in a key ring inventory item, which would function as all the keys at once. When frobbed onto a door, it would open if the correct key was on the ring, and produce a "No keys fit" message if the thief lacked the proper key. I'd still like to see the keys dropped individually, for many reasons, but any key a thief picks up should be added to the ring.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Actually if you walk up to a door with no key out and frob the door the right key will pop up to be used if its in your inventory.

Comment

Originally posted by Grank
      Actually if you walk up to a door with no key out and frob the door the right key will pop up to be used if its in your inventory.
      I know, and that's nice. My gripe is that if I have lots of keys, either getting my inventory back to nothing selected after using a key or cycling through my inventory to find something is painful.
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
        I know, and that's nice. My gripe is that if I have lots of keys, either getting my inventory back to nothing selected after using a key or cycling through my inventory to find something is painful.
        Why not set a key to the "Clear Inventory Item" command?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
          Why not set a key to the "Clear Inventory Item" command?
          A valid point, but cycling through the inventory with lots keys is still a pain.

Comment

A valid point, but cycling through the inventory with lots keys is still a pain.
            Why do you have to cycle through your inventory all that often, anyway? Most of the things in there can be hotkeyed for immediate use.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
              Why do you have to cycle through your inventory all that often, anyway? Most of the things in there can be hotkeyed for immediate use.
              Most thing are, but some aren't. Often I want to check to see exactly what I have in my inventory, or to drop something, or to use something that I don't have bound to a key. I've found myself doing it often enough for this to become an annoyance.

Comment

Most thing are, but some aren't. Often I want to check to see exactly what I have in my inventory, or to drop something, or to use something that I don't have bound to a key. I've found myself doing it often enough for this to become an annoyance.
                I can see that. If I have to do it at ALL, I consider it an annoyance. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way around it completely.

Comment

The only problem I see with a key ring is that players would be unable to cycle through the keys to find out which he held. In aquatone this would be particularly problematic, with the 5-6 different keys needed to access different areas. That is, unless selecting the key ring listed all the names of the keys held.

Comment

A key ring would be cool to help move through the inventory. Or maybe just an order of items 'food, potions, keys, scrolls, etc.' would be nice too.

Kiech
                    Kiech

Comment

I've often had this key issue. Same goes for having 10 different kinds of food.
                      BobTheDog says, "Now you've gone too far!"

Comment

The key ring idea is a good one, I think.

Comment

Amen about the food! I can't tell you how many times I've died because I'm running away from a guard cycling thru the food looking for a speed potion. (Yes, since then I've hotkeyed speed, but I had to get creative on which key to use cuz I'm running out). Spiders and Bourgeois are the worst when it comes to food.

Keyring is a good idea. Perhaps when the keyring is displayed as an inventory item, and you Use it without a door, it centers on screen in a sub-list format horizontally (every key displayed), with the names under each key. Cycle thru items button cycles thru sub menu until Frob is pressed again to return it to corner

Same goes with food, but instead of a Key Ring group item, call it a Fridge. Ha ha, ok, call it a Food Satchel.
                          "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                            Keyring is a good idea. Perhaps when the keyring is displayed as an inventory item, and you Use it without a door, it centers on screen in a sub-list format horizontally (every key displayed), with the names under each key. Cycle thru items button cycles thru sub menu until Frob is pressed again to return it to corner.
                            This is also a good solution to be able to drop only one key -- select it with the same mechanism, and then hit the drop key. Basically, the key ring and food satchel would be containers, each with a subinventory. I like this idea -- any devs gonna comment? ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Occam
                              The only problem I see with a key ring is that players would be unable to cycle through the keys to find out which he held. In aquatone this would be particularly problematic, with the 5-6 different keys needed to access different areas. That is, unless selecting the key ring listed all the names of the keys held.
                              Occam is right. And I really like the idea. But if they're gonna implement it, make sure the keyring displays a little list of the key-names, so the players can keep a track on which key they have.

Comment

Working...
                              X