Invisible guards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible guards...

Im sure this bug have been post before but just in case....

Bad clipping or zone too small...duno very BAD for game play....can get u kill for notting :

Here we see that the book is in the stairs, and notting else.

Here, if we move a bit closer to the staires : we see an AI at top the them !!!!!!!!

This bug happen everywhere there is something half-hidding another player/AI. The bug is also seen when u use the look around the corner feature (ok no guard), then when you decide to go : the place was full of guards
    (elevator shaft in aqua).

If i remember, the bug is for mines, caltrops, etc too.... and only started to happen since the news version of tut came out ... (1.3 or 1.4...)

that is major in my book
    [KYO] - Knock You Out

no, it happens for anything, and yes it is really annoying. It is a line of sight bug iirc :-/
    These days I find that I can't be bothered,
    To argue with them - well what's the point?
    Better to take you shots and drop down dead.

Comment

It's one of the ways the the UT engine cuts down on lag during internet games. If you don't have a direct line of sight to the middle of the object (or haven't for the last five seconds) you don't see it.
      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
        It's one of the ways the the UT engine cuts down on lag during internet games. If you don't have a direct line of sight to the middle of the object (or haven't for the last five seconds) you don't see it.
        Yeah but it doesnt work for everything... or everything but the walls would be invis until you look at it.
        -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
        - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
        - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
        -YT

Comment

It works for any actors using a mesh. ie Everything but walls.

Comment

yeah, it is caused by 'clevar network optimization' imo

Comment

Maybe so, but this is tut (slow, very slow, too slow : TUT) not UT (fast, very fast, too fast : UT).
              And for the little it is actually helping, I would rather have that little extra lag instead of that little surprise

It should not chk for the middle of the mesh, but the a zone around it (cylinder) or highest and lowest part of it in a dash way ( / ).

Bottom line, the only thing that help the lag is : cable and proximity to the server your playing on.
              [KYO] - Knock You Out

Comment

A few problems though...
                1. I think that this "feature" is hard-coded into UT, and there is no plausable way to change it. You could override it by changing the guards bAlwaysRelevant setting, that would mean that every guard is drawn on you screen all the time. That would cause more than a slight increase in lag, as the guards' positions will be updated more frequently.

EDIT: hmmmm... that was only one problem

Comment

The only thing that gona increase lag is the fact that the guards' positions will be updated more frequently, and with a fast connection that should cause no problem.

I dont think that "every guard is drawn on you screen all the time" since your video card is only drawing your POV, and with new Z buffer feature, are even cutting "the other side of the wall" drawing.

Also, a distance clipping is still no good : i saw once an AI at the other end of an open room (KOD, upper patrol near blue print) totally gone invisible (on&off)....but i could hit him with arrows (dont remember if he could shot back at me). It was funny i only saw blood splatters on hits :lol:
                  [KYO] - Knock You Out

Comment

Sure, your video card is only drawing your POV, but setting every guard to AlwaysRelevant will make a difference, even on a fast connection. And for people like me who are stuck with a 56k connection...

Comment

Working...
                    X